INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad buffering and slow network access [Solved]  (Read 20555 times)

frankie

• Recent member
  • Support The Global Fellowship Of Metal & Hard Rock
Bad buffering and slow network access [Solved]
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:40 am »

Hi there
am all super excited to be using MC16 now (version 16.0.149). I been using MC for years now but decided to stick with version 14 for a long time since it never given me any issues.

Last week I got my new computer, with the latest Windows 7 Pro, 8 GB Ram etc. etc. so I thought it's a great opportunity to get the latest MC at the same time. All my media is sitting on a Netgear ReadyNas Pro and like I did with MC 15, I decided to import my audio (mp3) folders to MC 16 through tools>import>single folder, browse network location. The import works flawless.

However, whenever I play a track initially it buffers quickly and then plays fine but as soon as a track is playing and I wanna play another track (while a track is playing right click>play or double click) I get terrible buffering, sometimes for more than 10-12 seconds. Sometimes the buffering duration seems to be faster and other times slower. Sometimes the buffering makes a terrible noise also for a few seconds. I have also tried to import a folder from my ReadyNas via mapping it but there is no difference. Also, there seems to be no difference to have the Media Server on or off.

I have set my buffering under audio output settings very high (more responsive) and the track change switch is set to gapless while I left the pre-buffering to the recommended 6 seconds. This buffering issue also happens when I skip to another position within a playing track.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Bad buffering and slow network access
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 08:22:25 am »

I have set my buffering under audio output settings very high
Try setting it to a low number.

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:22 am »

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have tried various buffer settings already, nothing changes.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:42:26 am »

Could you try a few files on your local C:\ drive just to make sure it's related to the NAS?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:46:05 am »

Hey, brilliant idea, I tried that now and it works fantastic, so now I am a bit gobsmacked because when I used MC 14 all these years I imported all files exactly from the same NAS and all.

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:56:00 am »

oops, I just got some weird buffering now even on the files that are pointing to my local hard drive, what could all this be caused by?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 10:31:27 am »

A virus checker?

This thread may also be useful:
http://tinyurl.com/ck9svg

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:59 pm »

using Kaspersky anti virus but have added MC to the exclusions list

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:03:09 pm »

Is MC still importing your files and building thumbnails while you are trying to play files over your NAS?

Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials?

Have you whitelisted MC16.exe and JRWorker.exe in your antivirus?

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 02:31:48 am »

As far as import and thumb building goes, nothing is showing in the action window that would indicate that any of these are still running, I definitely received a pop-up after import to confirm how many new files have been added so I think it has definitely completed those two.

Yes I have whitelisted MC16.exe and JRWorker.exe in my antivirus

I don't have security essentials, only Windows Firewall and Windows Defender, both of which I always have disabled.

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 05:09:49 am »

Okay, some interesting development:

I have just noticed that some of my Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite media players (EVA9150) are showing up in windows 7 under "Network". This is strange as they never showed up in my old XP Pro that way. I have 2 around the house so I access the menu via the TV and have disabled UPNP for both of those and bingo, my MC library is working extremely fast and smooth now. I cannot believe that this was the problem actually but am very happy with this solution since I don't need to access media stored on the Netgear units but instead they are accessing the same Netgear ReadyNas Media Center accesses too.

So I hope all is sorted now. One question remains however, is it actually still advisable or better to import my mp3 files into MC from my NAS via the conventional MC library import tool or could I actually directly load the NAS library into MC via Playing Now>Playing From Main Library>ReadyNas? I am asking because obviously MC automatically discovers my ReadyNas as it is UPNP enabled. So not sure what the difference is between those two import/library methods, will I still be able to assign cover art, do my tagging etc. if I use the ReadyNas library?

Thanks so much for your help guys.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 06:40:37 am »

Are you running Microsoft Security Essentials?

Is there some known issue with MC16 and MSE?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 06:54:19 am »

In the past, it caused problems.  See the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:56:53 am »

Okay, some interesting development:

I have just noticed that some of my Netgear Digital Entertainer Elite media players (EVA9150) are showing up in windows 7 under "Network". This is strange as they never showed up in my old XP Pro that way. I have 2 around the house so I access the menu via the TV and have disabled UPNP for both of those and bingo, my MC library is working extremely fast and smooth now. I cannot believe that this was the problem actually but am very happy with this solution since I don't need to access media stored on the Netgear units but instead they are accessing the same Netgear ReadyNas Media Center accesses too.

So I hope all is sorted now. One question remains however, is it actually still advisable or better to import my mp3 files into MC from my NAS via the conventional MC library import tool or could I actually directly load the NAS library into MC via Playing Now>Playing From Main Library>ReadyNas? I am asking because obviously MC automatically discovers my ReadyNas as it is UPNP enabled. So not sure what the difference is between those two import/library methods, will I still be able to assign cover art, do my tagging etc. if I use the ReadyNas library?
Use the Import under Tools.  It's much faster than DLNA (Playing Now).

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:56:36 am »

ok will do, thanks so much!

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 07:02:49 am »

oh dear, the buffering is right back again, no idea why as I have not changed anything since last time, so now what can i do?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 07:10:07 am »

Try some of the suggestions above and let us know what happens.

Reboot and power cyce the NAS when it happens.

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 09:20:08 am »

Tried all suggestions above, it's def not my NAS as it is feeding other devices on the network perfectly, rebooting did not help either, the only thing that is different compared to my old setup is that I have a new win7 PC now and MC16. Nothing else has changed.

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 04:18:55 am »

Okay, I just powered up my old XP Pro machine again which still has MC 14 installed and everything is working like a dream, same network, same NAS and no problems. MC16 is pretty much unusable on my new win7 machine, the buffering and the fact that the program constantly becomes non-responsive is very annoying, so I think I will revert back to using MC14, at least I know that that one works 100%.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 06:28:07 am »

Okay, I just powered up my old XP Pro machine again which still has MC 14 installed and everything is working like a dream, same network, same NAS and no problems. MC16 is pretty much unusable on my new win7 machine, the buffering and the fact that the program constantly becomes non-responsive is very annoying, so I think I will revert back to using MC14, at least I know that that one works 100%.
Please compare the settings.

Check antivirus.

Try MC16 on the machine that works.

rayooo

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

I struggled with similar issues on MC15 for quite awhile.
my library (all FLAC) is stored on a Synology NAS and plays to a dedicated PC running win7 64.

I had made dozens of changes to various settings in MC and Win7.
In the end, what seemed to finally cure the problem, I changed the default location for cover art from the C: to "Same folder as file". 
I never quite understood why, but it looked as if for whatever reason, MC would not be able to properly retrieve the album art for the next play item and it would cause large pauses and or lock up altogether occasionally.

I've not had the issue since making this change, and OBTW I've not gone back to tempt fate by trying to prove it was the actual fix.  ::)
MC-27-28> Meitner MA 1V2> CJ-GatV2> CJ ART 300s> Magnepan 20.7

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 01:10:22 am »

I did whitelist MC on my anti virus already. Also, can I install MC16 on the same machine as MC14? Or do I have to uninstall whatever version I have first?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 06:18:54 am »

I did whitelist MC on my anti virus already. Also, can I install MC16 on the same machine as MC14?
Yes.  Just install MC16.

frankie

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:13 am »

Hey guys, I just thought I would follow-up with everyone here who tried to help me and I really have some great news. Turned out that my brand new Win7 machine was buggered up completely, had to take it back in and they built me another machine from scratch with all new parts, so after I got it back re-installed all my programs and data and installed MC 16, same NAS and network, and it's all working like a dream now, am sooooo happy!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Now I just need to know if MC 16 has a custom capitalization fix option somewhere? Or should I post this as a new thread? I usually like all my titles to have title case capitalization but MC ignores small words like to, the, etc. is there a way?
Pages: [1]   Go Up