INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote desktop control of Macmini with Win7... how to control video??  (Read 1711 times)

eternaloptimist

• Recent member

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question - I have looked everywhere for an answer.
Current setup:
Mac mini 2011 with Win 7 Pro and J River MC 16 => W4S DAC and amp etc... and into TV via HDMI.
I have typically used the MacMini as a headless (ie no monitor / TV etc) to play music, controlled with Remote desktop (Win 7 laptop) or WebRemote.
I want to experiment with streaming Video to the TV but...
When I log on to the Macmini via RDP... how do I set J River MC to send the video to the TV (ie locally) rather than just display on the laptop with the RDP session?? As soon as I log onto the Macmini remotely, the local display closes to the Win 7 login screen...
This is driving me nuts as I suspect I am missing something obvious....
Any help much appreciated!!
Cheers,
EO

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Remote desktop control of Macmini with Win7... how to control video??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 07:58:43 am »

First of all you don't need to use Remote Desktop for this. Look in the Wiki for Network options in MC.

If you install MC on the laptop too, the instances of MC should find each other as different zones. You can then use the laptop as a remote control for the MacMini's instance of MC; you'll see the MacMini's library and be able to control it.

If you must use remote desktop, I thik there must be ways to not blank out the MacMini's display. I know that Logmein (free) doesn't do this, so you may want to check this out.

eternaloptimist

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:18:14 pm »

Many thanks fitbrit!
I have done exactly as suggested and all seems to work.. :D
Only thing.. (now getting greedy)...
Is it possible to view web browser streaming video (such as from ABC Australia's excellent iView service) through Theatre view on the big screen? Youtube etc. is obviously possible but I can't see a way around it.
Thanks again for your help - even my wife is impressed with the Theatre view remote control of the streaming macmini (and that's saying something!)
Cheers,
EO

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:19:45 am »

Is it possible to view web browser streaming video (such as from ABC Australia's excellent iView service) through Theatre view on the big screen? Youtube etc. is obviously possible but I can't see a way around it.
In the options for Theater View, you can add an outside program or web page.  It's not ideal since MC's controls won't all work.  But it's worth trying.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »

Many thanks fitbrit!
I have done exactly as suggested and all seems to work.. :D
Only thing.. (now getting greedy)...
Thanks again for your help - even my wife is impressed with the Theatre view remote control of the streaming macmini (and that's saying something!)
Cheers,
EO

Glad it worked out for you. Hope Jim's suggestion also does the trick. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up