INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for rock solid supported Device.  (Read 1342 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Looking for rock solid supported Device.
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:04:15 pm »

The sticky thread of supported devices hasn't been updated for almost 3 years to the day!

I'm looking for a reliable DVB-T PCIe card that doesn't cause conflict/crashes with MC. Preferably with DVB-T2, DVB-S, DVB-S2 so that I don't have to upgrade when (if?) JRiver support these. Dual tuner or more would be a big plus. It needs to be low profile/half height.

I dug out an old Elgato EyeTV Hybrid usb stick that I had from about 5 or 6 years ago that I'd forgotten about (bought it to have TV on my Mac laptop when I was living in Adelaide). I plugged it into my Win7 HTPC for a laugh to see if it would work. Lo and behold it installed some BDA drivers ( it thinks it's a hauppauge 900) and it sort of works. However it isn't very reliable and causes MC to crash when trying to change channel to record stuff. Not surprising as it isn't a PC native dongle anyway! I'm not particularly bothered as I'd like a more 'permanent' connection into my HTPC.

So I want a rock solid PCIe card to get TV here in the UK. I have both a terrestrial and sat cable waiting for it (I've cancelled my Sky subscription). It really needs to be rock solid as it will also be used by the other half. I don't want any calls at work to ask why such and such hasn't recorded or why the PC has frozen!!!!

Any ideas?

Cheers

SBR

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Looking for rock solid supported Device.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:25:55 pm »

IMO you can't go past Hauppauge for rock-solidness. I'm using the HVR2200 at the moment and it's been great for the better part of a few years now.

Their 4400 card does everything you want, bar DVB-T2 by the looks of things, and is low profile.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hvr4400.html

They tend to cost a bit more, but well worth the coin.

Bear in mind though, that most cards run OK. Crashing may be caused by drivers (as you've mentioned) or codecs.

Have you submitted a copy of the log to Yaobing to have him look at it for you? 

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 02:10:04 am »

Bear in mind though, that most cards run OK. Crashing may be caused by drivers (as you've mentioned) or codecs.

Have you submitted a copy of the log to Yaobing to have him look at it for you? 

I'm really not bothered. It is a mac card which isn't really supported on windows, and I only tried it for a laugh. I'm happy to send logs if anyone has a burning desire to see them. I don't think the drivers are designed for this card, but get installed as they are best match. the card firmware is probably different to the hauppauge 900 ( the installed driver).

Is there a consensus for the hauppauge cards in general?

SBR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 12:43:00 pm »

I like the HD Homerun but I've used a lot of USB sticks successfully and they're less expensive.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:00:48 pm »

I have the Hauppauge 2250 (PCIe) and the 950Q (USB stick) both working without issue in MC16.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 03:58:18 pm »

+1 on the homerun!  There is something about a network based tuner that is just great.
JRiver CEO Elect

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:38:43 am »

HD Homerun is working great for me. After Yao fixed the issues with channel scanning a few months ago. Actually watching live football has become my favorite use of MC. I get madVR rendering of OTA and that is the best way to see sports you can get on a PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up