INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripped DVDs via DLNA?  (Read 12667 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Ripped DVDs via DLNA?
« on: August 17, 2011, 05:24:05 pm »

This must have been asked before but I've tried searching, honest!

After ripping all my CDs and having MC16 serve them via PlugPlayer to a WD TV Live through DLNA, I'm now starting to play with DVDs, but coming unstuck.  I've been able to rip a DVD in 3 different ways:

1. To .mkv files for each title on the DVD
2. To AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS folders
3. To a single ISO file

The MKV files will play via DLNA no problem, except that the DVD exists as individual titles and you lose the menus.

The VIDEO_TS VOB files will also play via DLNA but again there are no menus and it's a bit unfriendly to have to select the filenames (I don't know if you rename the files whether it will "break" the structure??).

The ISO files will only play via creating a network share and using the WD TV Live as a client rather than a renderer, thereby bypassing the DLNA control point, but you do get the full menus as though it was a real DVD.  Indeed, accessing the VIDEO_TS folders via a network share and selecting the correct file will do the same thing.  Obviously though, it's pointless to have a full DVD menu system via DLNA as the control point doesn't have cursor keys and selection buttons to operate the interface!  But at least if it could be served via DLNA and used the media player as a client then you could indeed use its own remote control, however the ISO won't play via DLNA.

But it all just seems a bit unsatisfactory somehow.  I guess if using a control point then the MKV files are the best that can be achieved. But if I decide I want the menus then I would be happy to bypass the control point and use the player as a client but would prefer to keep it all in DLNA and manage everything in MC (including assigning cover art and user-friendly views and categories) rather than creating a network share and having to browse through the filesystem.

What do people generally do?  What's the accepted way of serving DVDs to a client from MC as opposed to playing them in MC itself? Or is it accepted that it's actually not very practical and you have to live with these limitations?

csimon

Re: Ripped DVDs via DLNA?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »

PS. I was able to import just the .ifio file of a VIDEO_TS structure and assing cover art to it and browse it via the DLNA client and it played, but I got no sound.  Is this something to do with the AUDIO_TS folder being separate?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »

Use MC to rip the DVD which will create a .ifo style database entry. Then you can use the DVD Video Info files to select the audio track for playback over DLNA.

AUDIO_TS isn't used for DVD sound.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:26:23 am »

I have tried to play my ripped DVD's through a PS3 and my Panasonic TV but both don't show subtitles. Unless I'm doing something wrong...
With the PS3 I use the menu and click the icon for subtitles, it says no subtitles.

If it should work please give us a clue how to do so!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:37:23 pm »

I have tried to play my ripped DVD's through a PS3 and my Panasonic TV but both don't show subtitles. Unless I'm doing something wrong...
With the PS3 I use the menu and click the icon for subtitles, it says no subtitles.

If it should work please give us a clue how to do so!
It doesn't appear that the PS3 supports subs via DLNA. The only way to get them in is to transcode the video. The DVD structures (.ifo) aren't currently transcodable. I expect that will change in the future since there is a lot of work going on the transcoding engine for DLNA.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:46:10 pm »

Thanks Bob for your response.

Why do I get "video not found" message when I try to play a ripped DVD (vob/ifo) on my phone/webpage? It does play other video files. The ripped DVD's play well on my PC's when I double click a folder.jpg/thumb in my library...
Also it's played on my PC when I choose play on server from my phone.

It would be awesome to play my ripped DVD's on vacation or other location on my laptop.
Maybe it is possible but I have selected the wrong options?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 03:49:45 pm »

DVD files can't be played with Gizmo yet.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:21:37 pm »

OK, I'm glad you used "yet".  ;D I'll try to be patient...
Pages: [1]   Go Up