INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems converting FLAC to MP3 [no longer a problem]  (Read 3327 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Problems converting FLAC to MP3 [no longer a problem]
« on: August 24, 2011, 02:35:25 pm »

Howdy,

Within the last two weeks - I have used at least the last three builds of MC for rather large "restoration" project. I recently moved the household to Windows Home Server 2011 in late July and somewhere in the process of getting the data back onto the new server - about 600 of my FLACs were damaged. Presumably during file copy or some other process that I have not been able to yet to determine.

As a result of this discovery - I tested the entire library to isolate the problem files and then set out to either re-rip or restore backups of the files if available. I was able to restore about 95% of the problematic files and also made MAJOR changes in how and where I back up all my "masters" - those FLACs that have been ripped, fully tagged , peak levels and replay gain attached and are considered to be my master archive copies.

With respect to the issue at hand - my MC workflow to create my master copies is to move files around, clean their properties, tag , apply replay gain, album art and finally move them to my final staging folder. I do all of this using the Drives and Devices item on the tree. That is to say - ALL files I work with are "outside" of the MC realm. None of the editing or conversion that I do within this workflow involves anything actually "in" a real library.

So - using the above - once I prepare an albums worth of material and move them to my final "staging" folder, three things happen:

1. A copy of the files are sent to \\SERVER\Music via Windows Explorer (To be used in the "real" MC library)
2. The mobile copy is created
3. The master files are moved to my master archive on an external drive. (using Windows Explorer)

It is during step 2 that I have noticed issues. For mobile play I use MC's Convert Audio dialog. My settings when I press Options are:

Under Converter (Left Pane)

Destination = My Music folder (local c drive)
And Create 2 Levels of Directory Structure is checked.
Mode = Leave Original File; Do Not Add Destination File To Library
Options = Convert 4 files at a time

Under Encoding (Left Pane)
Encoder = MP3 Encoder
Encoder Setting = VBR Extreme (Preset)

For about every 3rd set of MP3 I create - I keep getting Conversion Failed. Most frustrating is that this is not repeatable nor does it have any pattern. The flacs are all standard spec and all test fully positive using Audio Tester. The files in question are created by either dbPowerAmp or by EZ-CD Extractor.

I have played around with the amount of files to convert at once and messed around with every other option and still I get failures. I need to maintain the 4 files at a time or MC is simply too slow to deal with for lots of files. By contrast - dbPowerAmp is at least twice as fast converting these FLACS to the same LAME VBR Extreme format and it has never had a single conversion failure in over two weeks of solid work. It's main drawback however - is that it cannot preserve all of my custom MC tags whereas converting a fully tagged FLAC from MC using MC's convertor creates a MP3 file that has all of my custom tags when I bring the file over to my local mobile MC library.

This is most frustrating and I would like to know if I can use logging or some other method to try and capture a "reason" for these failures. Again - this is not repeatable and has no "trigger" that I can see. I also cannot find a single fault in any of the FLAC files I am trying to convert as they all test positive in both Audio Tester and convert perfectly using dbPowerAMP and EZCD Extractor.

Any tips would be helpful.

Cheers,

VP

Vincent Kars

Re: Bug?: Last few builds have had problems converting FLAC to MP3
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:13:45 am »

I need to maintain the 4 files at a time or MC is simply too slow to deal with for lots of files. By contrast - dbPowerAmp is at least twice as fast converting these FLACS to the same LAME VBR Extreme format and it has never had a single conversion failure in over two weeks of solid work.

Had the same problem doing conversions from APE to FLAC.
It looks like if you have multiple conversion streams, now and then MC gets confused.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:47:26 am »

Had the same problem doing conversions from APE to FLAC. It looks like if you have multiple conversion streams, now and then MC gets confused. I solved it using dbPoweramp, rock solid and substantially faster.

Thanks! Since I posted that - I have noticed no real problems with 16.0.181.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:59:25 am »

If you believe there is a problem, please focus on providing details.

If you want to discuss other software, use their forum.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:07:28 am »

If you believe there is a problem, please focus on providing details. If you want to discuss other software, use their forum.
In my August post (which you obviously didn't read) - I focused on supplying about as much "detail" as one possibly could. No one from JR even acknowledged the post in over 4 months. And since v16 is done - I believe you are done giving it a second thought now.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Problems converting FLAC to MP3
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:18:10 am »

I did read it.  Then and now.  But you have a lot of moving parts in your process, so it's not clear where the problem occurs.  Since you didn't report again and since nobody else reported a problem with FLAC to MP3 conversion, it's not clear there is a problem.

Some spammer came along last night and posted in this old thread.  Then Vincent popped up with a comment with no details.

Can you reproduce a problem?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:26:16 am »

Can you reproduce a problem?

I understand that it's an old thread and that some spammer moved it out of hibernation. The only update I can give you is that back in the August time frame - my destination drive was on the network - where I now convert to a local drive. MC seems to handle 4 files at time and I have no seen any issues with version 16.0.181.

Historically - something happened that was good between whatever build I was using in August and when 181 came out.

However - that does not mean there is not an issue with 4 files at a time - when converting to a network location. If I have time - I may test this out again. Is there a specific logging "area" that I must turn on to capture log data for conversions?

VP

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:26:45 am »

... in the August time frame - my destination drive was on the network - where I now convert to a local drive. MC seems to handle 4 files at time and I have no seen any issues with version 16.0.181 ... something happened that was good between whatever build I was using in August and when 181 came out.
So let's consider this closed for now.  If you have a problem again, please see if you can narrow down where the problem occurs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up