INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fps - how is it determined, how is it imported?  (Read 1153 times)

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
fps - how is it determined, how is it imported?
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:31:41 am »

Reading some posts on "automatic switching of TV resoution" is was stated that MC looks for the fps field and adjusts automatically to whatever that setting is. So I decided to take a look and see what data was in that field (I never had this field set to display).

What I see is confusing - I have a lot of different fps data, even among the same type of video.
Foe example,
  • all of my HD material is set at 23.98 fps (this is what I expected)
  • my DVD rips have no fps listed (not what I expected)
  • I have some Podcasts (Fox Sunday for example) where some are listed as 30fps and some are 29.97
  • I have TV Series (i.e. MASH) where some are at 59.94 and some are at 59.92
  • some TV Series (Lost) where some episodes are 59.94 and some are 29.97

So, where does this data come from? Is it downloaded when the rip is being imported. Is it created from the "dimesions" or bit rate?
Also, my DVD movie rips do not have any dimensions data or bit rate data, and don't show a fps.

What should the fps be for a DVD movie (WS format)?

Also note that last episode of Fraiser shown has a different fps than the others.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: fps - how is it determined, how is it imported?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:10:43 am »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:15:03 am »

The frame rate is an intrinsic property of an encoded file, just like the dimensions, codec, file size, etc.

It's normal to see a variety of frame rates, depending on the source.  It does seem like a bug that we're not getting the frame rate from a DVD.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:24:48 pm »

Start at Matt's post in this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=65786.0

That's the thread I started with - then I though it would be better to post my question separately rather than just tag onto the other persons posting.

I went in an manually added 59.92 for all of my DVDs.

I'm not sure this is a bug in MC beacuse I had already ripped all these movies and used MyMovies to collect the data (and I used 7MC to play everything). Then I started using MC16 and just had MC import/monitor existing files. Maybe the fps data was never have been collected in the first place - unless all ripping/collection-management software collects this data.
Pages: [1]   Go Up