INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld device not detected  (Read 2999 times)

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Handheld device not detected
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:37:02 pm »

I recently had to wipe my phone (Droid X) and ever since it has not been detected on MC.  After wiping I updated the phone to the latest software (gingerbread 2.3.3) but that is the only change I made.  Now when I attach it to the usb MC detects it as a removable drive, but not as a handheld device.  I have tried redetecting all devices multiple times but it's no use.   I also tried adding a new device manually and directing it to the removable disk that it detects my phone as.  That seemed like it might work but when I try to sync music all I get is errors.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Re: Handheld device not detected
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:45:35 pm »

EDIT:  I have figured out that the error messages are related to converting files.  Most of my library is flac so to save space I convert everything to mp3 before it goes on the phone.  When I send unconverted files to the removable drive it works fine.  Unfortunately the Droid doesn't support flac, and it takes up too much space anyway.  Whether this is related to the phone not being detected as a handheld or is a separate problem I have no idea.  I can say that the encoder is not the problem, trying to convert a flac to mp3 in my library works fine.  Will check back tomorrow to see if anyone can help me.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:09 pm »

Check you settings under "Options" including what the "Supported Types" are, and what the "Audio" conversion settings are.
JRiver CEO Elect

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:32:59 am »

As a removable disk it seems there are no type restrictions.  As for the encoder I've tried the VBR and the CBR (LAME) MP3 encoders on various quality settings, they both failed during sync, but work fine otherwise.
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »

Correct, but you can just edit this field.  Just put in MP3 (and whatever the device can play) and you should be done.
JRiver CEO Elect

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:32:31 am »

Ok I will try this, but honestly I'd like to solve the root problem, which is that my device is not being detected as a handheld.  Any idea how to do that?
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:12 am »

There are probably two modes for the USB connection.  You want to "mount" the phone.  I think this is a phone issue, not an MC issue.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 06:26:46 am »

There are actually 4 modes now, USB Mass Storage, Windows Media Sync, PC Mode and Charge Only.  I've tried them all and it makes no difference.  Perhaps it's a driver issue I'll try reloading the drivers for the phone tonight.  Also I made the change jmone suggested.  Now when I try to sync a playlist the mp3 files seem to load but the flac and anything else that needs to be converted still fail.
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 06:22:12 am »

Sorry that I dropped this thread for so long, but I am still having issues with this?  Has anyone else experienced similar problems?  There are 2 main issues here

1.  MC won't detect my phone as a handheld device

2.  When I manually add it as a device the conversion process doesn't work properly (flac files should convert to mp3 but I just get an error instead)
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 06:44:59 am »

Check the MC settings for what filetypes the device is supposed to support.

Does it show up in Windows?  Can you transfer files to it in Explorer?

Are you using MC?  Latest build is 16.0.179.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 06:42:06 pm »

Supported file types are AAC, AMR, MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC+, and MIDI.  When manually adding the device as a handheld no types are specified, so I add mp3 as the only supported file type so that my flac files should convert to mp3.  

The device does show up in windows as a removable storage device and files can be added by dragging and dropping.

I am currently using 16.0.149  I will update and see if that helps anything. EDIT: checking for updates gives this error: "There was a problem checking for updates."  What kind of problem could there be?  I'm connected to the internet and my firewall isn't blocking MC.

EDIT:  OK I solved the problem, I don't know what the issue was, but completely uninstalling MC and reinstalling the latest update seems to have fixed it as well as some other issues I was having. Sorry, I guess that means the problem was on my end all along.
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23
Pages: [1]   Go Up