INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing Video using library server  (Read 1633 times)

_mulder

• Recent member
Problem playing Video using library server
« on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:51 pm »

Hi, feel free to move this message to the right place if this is not it.

Ok, my problem is that I have a windows 2008 server acting as my file server and I can't play movies from a client (only internet explorer opens on my client with a blank window and stays there). On the server, I installed the latest media center (16.176) and I have also the same version on my client (windows 7). If I use the initial library on my client (where I have indicated that my movies are located in \\Theater-Server\Videos\Bluray\), everything plays beautifully like I expect; meaning media center loads the iso image and starts the movie.

In order to centralize everything, I setup the same library on my windows 2008 file server and activated library server (including authentication). I created a new library on the client that synchronize with the server library. If I play music using that synced library, the music plays nicely (from \\Theater-Server\Music\). If I try to play a movie (same directory as above), internet explorer opens ?? and an authentication windows opens. I fill up the information, the window closes but a blank page stays on internet explorer. I removed the authentication requirement but internet explorer still open and stays on a blank page. How can I have Mediacenter play the movies using the library from the server??  :'( There must be something wrong that I am doing and I just can't figure it out (not to mention it took me forever to be able to find that I had to create a new library in order to synchronize with the server; this program looks to be very nice but it needs better info or be more intuitive).

Thank you

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Problem playing Video using library server
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:45:50 pm »

I use UNC paths for all my MC instances (both Library Server and Library Server Client).  When you use a Library Server Client it loads a copy of the library from the Library Server then uses that to play, so for it to work well you need:
1) All PC's to use the same mapping as what is in the Library's "Filename" field and that all PC's can see and access the files over the network using this (eg \\SERVER\Video\.... etc)
2) Ensure Tools --> Options --> Media Network --> Client Options --> Play local file.... is checked

This way MC will load your library from the server then play back the media directly from the same location over your NW.
JRiver CEO Elect

Alto

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:26 pm »

I'm having this exact same problem with ISOs in a Library Server/Library Server Client Configuration.  I'm using the latest version - MC 17.0.38.  The ISOs play as they should on the server.

The ISOs are properly imported as
Media Type: Video
Media Sub Type: Music Videos

MC is set up to play ISOs with the Default Windows External Program (Slysoft Virtual Clonedrive) and the rest of the options specified for MC13 in the wiki here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DVD_Library_in_Media_Center

The client is also set up properly with Virtual Clonedrive installed locally.  I'm using UNC paths for the ISOs as well so all are accessible to all PCs on my network from the same location.  Play local file is checked as well.

I see other people have posted the same/similar problem with older versions:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67167.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63976.0

Is anyone currently able to play ISOs with v17 in a server/client configuration?

ferraris

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 02:56:28 am »

@Alto - I'm trialling v17 and I have my library on WHS 2011 and both movies and music play fine (providing the user account is logged in on the server).  Apologies I don't have a solution but it sounds like a firewall problem.  I initially set up my Media Centre on my PC pointing the library at the server media folders and then installed Media Center on the server and imported the library I'd used on the PC, I then pointed the PC at the new server library and everything worked

@mulder - I gave up trying to get ISOs to work and converted them all to folders which play flawlessly.  I have found that 3D discs can only be ripped as ISOs so will have to work through the problems you are experiencing.

Simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up