INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NetFlix & Qwikster  (Read 1448 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
NetFlix & Qwikster
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:23:21 pm »

NETFLIX

Dear Mark,

I messed up. I owe you an explanation.

It is clear from the feedback over the past two months that many members felt we lacked respect and humility in the way we announced the separation of DVD and streaming and the price changes. That was certainly not our intent, and I offer my sincere apology. Let me explain what we are doing.

For the past five years, my greatest fear at Netflix has been that we wouldn't make the leap from success in DVDs to success in streaming. Most companies that are great at something – like AOL dialup or Borders bookstores – do not become great at new things people want (streaming for us). So we moved quickly into streaming, but I should have personally given you a full explanation of why we are splitting the services and thereby increasing prices. It wouldn’t have changed the price increase, but it would have been the right thing to do.

So here is what we are doing and why.

Many members love our DVD service, as I do, because nearly every movie ever made is published on DVD. DVD is a great option for those who want the huge and comprehensive selection of movies.

I also love our streaming service because it is integrated into my TV, and I can watch anytime I want. The benefits of our streaming service are really quite different from the benefits of DVD by mail. We need to focus on rapid improvement as streaming technology and the market evolves, without maintaining compatibility with our DVD by mail service.

So we realized that streaming and DVD by mail are really becoming two different businesses, with very different cost structures, that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently.

It’s hard to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”. We chose the name Qwikster because it refers to quick delivery. We will keep the name “Netflix” for streaming.

Qwikster will be the same website and DVD service that everyone is used to. It is just a new name, and DVD members will go to qwikster.com to access their DVD queues and choose movies. One improvement we will make at launch is to add a video games upgrade option, similar to our upgrade option for Blu-ray, for those who want to rent Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 games. Members have been asking for video games for many years, but now that DVD by mail has its own team, we are finally getting it done. Other improvements will follow. A negative of the renaming and separation is that the Qwikster.com and Netflix.com websites will not be integrated.

There are no pricing changes (we’re done with that!). If you subscribe to both services you will have two entries on your credit card statement, one for Qwikster and one for Netflix. The total will be the same as your current charges. We will let you know in a few weeks when the Qwikster.com website is up and ready.

For me the Netflix red envelope has always been a source of joy. The new envelope is still that lovely red, but now it will have a Qwikster logo. I know that logo will grow on me over time, but still, it is hard. I imagine it will be similar for many of you.

I want to acknowledge and thank you for sticking with us, and to apologize again to those members, both current and former, who felt we treated them thoughtlessly.

Both the Qwikster and Netflix teams will work hard to regain your trust. We know it will not be overnight. Actions speak louder than words. But words help people to understand actions.

Respectfully yours,

-Reed Hastings, Co-Founder and CEO, Netflix

p.s. I have a slightly longer explanation along with a video posted on our blog, where you can also post comments.
(http://blog.netflix.com/2011/09/explanation-and-some-reflections.html?lnktrk=EMP&g=55C64C571842378B2F265BF0D08F66FD0AC0315E&lkid=netflixBlog)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: NetFlix & Qwikster
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:20 pm »

Personally I Never sent for a DVD Using Netflix.

Maybe if I lived in the 80's

Am I spoiled because when I want something I want it now, and not have to wait for the USPS or whoever they use to show up with your DVD.

I stopped going to the VHS\DVD rental store back in the 80's (my wife went up till about the year 2000)

I prefer to click on my Tivo remote and just play it.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:44:04 pm »

Blockbuster (BLOAQ) is fighting back. They have a new service that is a cross between the mail and brick-and-mortar, it is pretty nice plus the price is good.
I've always though netflix is reasonably priced, but the selection is not great, for instant, and has been getting worse.

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:05:15 pm »

I read a report about a month ago, blockbuster has been hemorrhaging money, and the stock price was very low.

one of the main backers stated in the report it was the worst investment he has ever made.

I think netflix have had there own problems including after there price increase, that should have happen maybe two years ago.

If blockbuster had a monthly plan I would prob join.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:38:01 pm »

Yes, I know, not sure it will be better

Dish network has had there own problems
Fayetteville, NC, USA

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:27 am »

The few times I looked at netflix streaming (including once pretty recently), the selection was pretty poor compared to their mail biz (at least for the stuff I was interested in). I'm not sure why that has to be the case. Is it really that complex to convert dvd's to content in a form that they stream it in?? I decided that it wasn't worth the money, certainly not for both streaming and physical media.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:06:13 pm »

Licensing fees are different for streaming video vs. physical disc video...

j

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 07:40:10 pm »

By Paul Thomasch

NEW YORK | Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:15pm EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Netflix Inc and Discovery Communications reached an agreement to bring episodes of popular TV adventure shows including "Man vs. Wild" and "River Monsters" to the streaming service, the companies confirmed on Wednesday.

The deal is the first major move by Discovery to make full episodes of its TV shows available for instant streaming, expanding well beyond the short clips that are now available on video sites such as YouTube

The two-year deal covers only material from prior seasons of the TV shows and is limited to Netflix subscribers in the United States. Discovery has an option for a third year.

Financial terms of the agreement could not be learned.

Home to some of the biggest hits on cable TV, Discovery Communications' networks include Discovery, TLC and Animal Planet, ID: Investigation Discovery, Science and Military Channel. But Chief Executive David Zaslav has long shied away from making full episodes of Discovery's shows available on the web, saying it failed to make economic sense.

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up