INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 crashing on startup when using Clickfree Transformer  (Read 5711 times)

hottuna

MC16 crashing on startup when using Clickfree Transformer
« on: September 20, 2011, 06:24:05 am »

I'm running mc160176 and it's crashing when I start it. I can't get it to run even after an uninstall, reboot and reinstall. I've deleted my library files too.  

What information do I need to post to get help troubleshooting the problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC16 crashing on startup
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 06:40:46 am »

In your other post, I gave you a link to "Stability" on our wiki.  Did you try it?

hottuna

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:24 pm »

hey Jim, I checked out the stability wiki, fyi, i think the stability link in your signature is pointing to a dead link.

there was nothing obvious in the stability wiki. i did install a clickfree transformer SE backup device recently, but it's not affecting any other programs. any suggestions?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:11:09 pm »

Fixed the link.  Thanks.

Uninstall and choose to remove registry entries.  Then reinstall.  You should be able to restore one of the automatic backups MC makes after you do this.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »

i did install a clickfree transformer SE backup device recently, but it's not affecting any other programs. any suggestions?
It would be worth trying an uninstall.

hottuna

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:29:24 pm »

That's what it is.

There's a conflict between my clickfree transformer se and media center 16. I unplug the clickfree se from the USB port and media center starts normally. As soon as I insert the clickfree se into USB port the error message pops up saying "media center 16 has stopped working" and the message "windows can check online for a solution to the problem" pops up, I have the options to "check online for a solution and close the program" (which closes media center) or I can choose "close the program".  Either way, media center shuts down when my clickfree se is plugged in. I reproduced this twice.

Any ideas how to get them working together?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 06:41:47 am »

It's possible that something like a virus checker is becoming alarmed when MC tries to read the clickfree drive (if it is a drive).

hottuna

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:21:23 am »

The clickfree SE device turns any USB drive into a clickfree drive. When I tested it last night I'm sure I had Kaspersky paused as suggested in the stability wiki, but I'll double check that tonight.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:39:39 am »

Pausing Kaspersky might not be enough.  Uninstalling it might be.

hottuna

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »

Hey again Jim.

MC16 is still crashing whenever the clickfree transformer is plugged into the USB port.
http://www.clickfree.com/products_transformerse.php

I uninstalled Kaspersky.
I started MC16 and it started normally.
I plugged the clickfree into the USB port and MC16 crashed.
I tried running MC16 again with the clickfree still plugged in, and it crashed on startup.
I unplugged the clickfree.
I tried MC16 again and it started normally.

NOTE: I performed all the above tests with and without the following applications loaded: word, excel powerpoint, windows media player, adobe acrobat reader, firefox. Only MC16 was affected.

Any help would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:02:51 pm »

I don't think we can solve that without a device.

Did you report it to them?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:31 pm »

Can you capture the crash in the MC log (or Windows event log). Maybe you pinpoint the specfic file or event causing the crash.

I'm not really sure whyyou need this device. Can't you backup to your USB without it?

hottuna

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 12:30:24 am »

Hmmm. Not the answer I was expecting. Having bought the upgrades to MC16 since version 7 I'd hate to see that investment go down the drain.  This is off the shelf hardware, why is it that only MC16 isn't compatible?  I'm happy to provide logs if you tell me what you need me to provide in order to help you troubleshoot it?

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 07:48:24 am »

Enable logging by checking the option at  "Help / Logging / Output to a log file"
Start Media Center with the device attached so it crashes.
Disconnect the device and start Media Center.
Select "Help / Logging / Click to email log", send to johnt at jriver dot com.

Thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

hottuna

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 10:21:09 am »

The logs have been sent, thanks!

hottuna

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 07:40:50 pm »

By the way, I tried the clickfree on another computer, also running windows 7 but with MC15, and MC crashes on that PC to.

hottuna

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 06:55:37 pm »

Hi guys, any news? Have you had a chance to review the logs I sent?

JohnT

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 09:39:37 am »

Hi guys, any news? Have you had a chance to review the logs I sent?
Sorry I didn't get back to you on that.  Thanks for the logs - I did review them but unfortunately there wasn't a lot to go on.  The last thing in the log is that we're starting an external program (JRWorker.exe) to analyze devices attached to the system.  Normally if there is some bug in the driver for an attached device, at worst it would cause JRWorker.exe to crash, but never Media Center.  This is why we use an external program running in another process to do this work.  Is there anything on your system that you know of that may be causing this analysis to fail?  Possibly we'll have to get one of those Clickfree devices in house to test the root cause.

hottuna

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

Hey I appreciate you trying.  I can't think of anything unusual that I'm running. It's odd that it's happening on two separate pc's, one desktop, one laptop. Whatever it is causes MC to crash consistently. Last night I had the clickfree plugged in and it opened an mp3 using explorer, mc started up, the song played for about 7 seconds, then I received the crash report... I did this a few times and it behaved the same way beach time. I wrote to their support last night but I doubt I'll hear back anytime soon.  If you get one in house, it will be interesting to see if it reacts the same way.

JohnT

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:18:53 am »

The 7 second delay is probably because the JRWorker process doesn't get started right away - it's one of a series of tasks that are initiated one at a time in a background process shortly after program startup.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: MC16 crashing on startup when using Clickfree Transformer
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 09:30:41 am »

What's the full model number for the device you have?

Nah

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2011, 08:56:27 am »

WD1024XM
Clickfree Transformer SE

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 09:09:57 am »

Is it this device?
http://www.clickfree.com/products_transformerse.php

What happens if you leave the Clickfree Transformer plugged in, but you unplug the drive that is attached to it?

Is the WD1024XM the drive attached?

In MC's autoimport options, you can setup a drive to exclude. 

Turning off autoimport might also work.

I'm pretty sure this is a driver problem.

Nah

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 06:25:34 am »

Yes, that is the device.  WD1024XM is written on the side of it, I assume it's the model number.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll try them out in about 12 hours.

Nah

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 08:10:13 pm »

Ok, MC16 running. I plug in Clickfree with no drive attached, MC crashes in about 7 seconds. Restart MC, it crashes again in 7 seconds.

Clickfree shows up as my G: drive when it's plugged in, regardless if a drive is connected to it. When I connect a drive, either directly to USB or through the clickfree, the drive shows up as F: and clickfree shows up as G:

I unplug the clickfree, plug my external drive into the USB port, start MC and exclude drive F: from auto import. MC runs normally. I close MC, plug in clickfree, plug F: drive into clickfree, start MC and it crashes in 7 seconds.

I can't exclude drive G: (clickfree) in MC, i don't have enough time to exclude it from autoimport. When clickfree is plugged in I only have 7 seconds to use the MC menus.

I agree this looks like a driver issue but I can't tell where the conflict is. Keep the suggestions coming!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »

I agree this looks like a driver issue but I can't tell where the conflict is. Keep the suggestions coming!
If it is a driver problem, the driver has a bug.  It should be the responsibility of the manufacturer to fix it.  It's possible that updating the driver might work.  It's possible we could find a work-around.  We would have to buy the device.

Nah

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 06:17:14 pm »

I tried updating the driver but there are no new drivers available.

I'm still not sure I understand why MC 16 is the only program that crashes when it's plugged in, but I can't change that so I'll have to live with it. Unfortunately it renders MC 16 unusable for daily use by me, my backups are of paramount importance.

I'll send another email to the manufacturer, but I'm not optimistic that they'll do anything since I never received a reply to the first one I sent.

if you happen to get one and find a work around, let me know.  If anyone else happens to get one, please post your experience with clickfree and MC 16.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2011, 06:40:11 pm »

I'm still not sure I understand why MC 16 is the only program that crashes when it's plugged in,
A bug in a driver may only be triggered by certain circumstances.  Querying the drive very fast, for example.

Nah

• Recent member
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 08:22:23 am »

I sent Clickfree another email 4 days ago but have received no reply as yet. If I don't hear anything this week I'll try their phone support.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2011, 02:49:11 pm »

From the change log:

17.0.26 (10/31/2011)

4. Fixed: The "clickfree" automatic backup device would cause Media Center to crash.

This is interesting. What did you find? Were you in contact with Clickfree? Is there a story to tell?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2011, 03:58:34 pm »

We bought the SE device that hottuna was having trouble with.  We actually bought a similar device first that worked, but the SE caused MC to crash.  JohnT found that the device was returning something unexpected that we didn't handle correctly.  It behaves like a CD burner.  Neat backup solution for about $50.  It works with any USB drive.

Hottuna

• Recent member
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2011, 10:32:46 am »

I'm sitting here listening to Media Center while Clickfree effortlessly backs up my media library, truly the best of both world thanks to JRiver. Nicely done.  My next click will be to buy the MC upgrade as I have done so many times before.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2011, 10:35:56 am »

Thanks.  Welcome back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up