INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next/Previous buttons don't work with Cue files and DLNA  (Read 7587 times)

dedok

• Recent member
Next/Previous buttons don't work with Cue files and DLNA
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:04:54 am »

Many rips I have are organized as a single flac/ape file with .cue file attached. They play but when I click Next button MC starts playing first track over (though in the list of tracks it shows playing 2nd, 3rd etc.). It happens only when I use DLNA renderer. Direct sound device works fine.
One may argue that it's renderer problem, but this is not so straightforward. Next/Previous buttons do work when an album is ripped as a set of flac/ape files (with or without .cue attached). Seems like this is not my renderer issue (I use PS Audio DAC + Bridge), but software bug. Quite annoying. I purchased MC 16 because it finally started to support my device. This is the only major issue remaining (besides lack of gapless playback which is confirmed to be PS Audio issue). Please help. Thank you.

dedok

• Recent member
Re: Next/Previous buttons do not work for albums ripped as single audio file
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:27:40 pm »

I understand that no one knows the answer. I'd like to hear developers.
I don't know how to submit official bug except this forum. So please be so kind to recognize it at least.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Next/Previous buttons do not work for albums ripped as single audio file
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:17:15 am »

So Cue files don't work with DLNA, right?

Did you try converting them when they are played?

dedok

• Recent member
Re: Next/Previous buttons don't work with Cue files and DLNA
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 02:47:01 pm »

Thank you for reply, Jim.
To be precise: .cue does work when it's set against bunch of audio files, i.e. when album is ripped as track1.flac, track2.flac etc (with and without .cue). But when album is ripped as a single album.flac+album.cue file it does not skip to next track (see original post for details). And this happens while rendering to DLNA. When I play to the same DAC attached via USB (i.e. like ordinary audio card) everything works fine.
As of converting: well, I can try (if you tell me what should I do exactly), but converting thousand albums is not an option for me, sorry. I'd really appreciate fixing this in MC. Thank you again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:51:58 pm »

MC's DLNA can convert on-the-fly as it streams.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:10:34 pm »

It won't work with conversion either, I just tried it. It's probably doable though. The file will need to be converted since the DLNA protocol requires it to be sent as a discrete file. Unfortunately, this will not solve the gapless problem with DLNA since the rip will then be a bunch of discrete files and will be subject to the same logic of present, start, stop that the protocol requires.
If DLNA supported cue files properly one could just send it a file with a bunch of offsets for each track however that's not the way it works.

BTW, the Noxon radio I tried simulating conversion with works pretty well with gapless mp3's and individual tracks, there is a very slight gap between the tracks, it's almost, but not quite, inaudible.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 05:46:47 pm »

Thank you,  folks. Well, sounds good, but still: I paid quite a lot for my DAC to let my music be decoded in this device with maximum quality possible. Would that conversion degrade it? I'm still not quite sure while breaking file apart is called "conversion". And, anyways, how do I do this? And wouldn't this be better to make appropriate fixes in MC and let it work transparent to a listener?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:20:10 pm »

Thank you,  folks. Well, sounds good, but still: I paid quite a lot for my DAC to let my music be decoded in this device with maximum quality possible. Would that conversion degrade it? I'm still not quite sure while breaking file apart is called "conversion". And, anyways, how do I do this? And wouldn't this be better to make appropriate fixes in MC and let it work transparent to a listener?
The conversion could be to wave or lpcm then there would be no quality loss. Probably done when the DLNA setting was convert always or convert when necessary. This isn't really a conversion, it more of a decode and stream action. Since DLNA needs a file though, the cue file has to be decoded to disk then presented to the renderer as a file url.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 08:51:22 pm »

Thanks, I've just tried that. I went to Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA Servers...->Audio->Conversion and I set it to "Always convert". Now my DAC reports that it plays wav file (it used to report flac) - it has nice lcd screen where it tells me what's playing.
But problem is still there, it doesn't skip to next track. Duh. Any other ideas?

P.S. One might think that it's not a big deal, but try to listen The Dark Side of the Moon. When I play it using .cue file I hear "Speak to Me - Breathe In the Air" track over and over again. Quite strange experience. :) The only way to listen this album is to open flac directly and listen it without skips. I hope it's now clear that the problem does exist.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:55:52 am »

Thanks, I've just tried that. I went to Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or Configure DLNA Servers...->Audio->Conversion and I set it to "Always convert". Now my DAC reports that it plays wav file (it used to report flac) - it has nice lcd screen where it tells me what's playing.
But problem is still there, it doesn't skip to next track. Duh. Any other ideas?

P.S. One might think that it's not a big deal, but try to listen The Dark Side of the Moon. When I play it using .cue file I hear "Speak to Me - Breathe In the Air" track over and over again. Quite strange experience. :) The only way to listen this album is to open flac directly and listen it without skips. I hope it's now clear that the problem does exist.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that setting the "Always Convert" option would solve the cue problem now, just that implementing a solution would require conversion.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:06:33 pm »

OK, cool. Actually decompressing flac to wav before sending it to DAC has additional benefit: there were some skips while playing flacs on my DAC and now they are gone. Quite suddenly. :)
Now humbly waiting for the fix... Thank you for your support!

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 04:01:45 pm »

Hi Bob,
not pushing at all, just trying to understand where we are with this fix.
I'm trying to use my Denon AVR-4308 receiver with JRiver and compare it with Twonky.
Here is the difference:

JRiver nicely recognizes .cue sheets and Denon sees albums broken by tracks even if they are ripped as single flacs, but I can play first track of each album only. In other words, JRiver is not usable on renderers like my receiver at this moment.

Twonky has no idea about .cue sheets, so my Denon sees whole flac files and I can play them but without ability to skip tracks. This is better than just first track.

So, the fix we are talking about would allow all of us using such players to enjoy our music collections in the right way. Thus the question: any rough ETA for that? At least could you confirm that you are planning to do that? Thank you.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »

Thanks for your help. We will likely add this in future version.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:47:50 pm »

New 17th release delivered it, thank you! However, there is one grain of salt: it adds silence between tracks even if I play single flac/wav file. Very disturbing while playing things like The Dark Side etc. Why adding silence? I might understand this while playing different files. But in my case this is one file. May be there is a way to turn this off somehow? My Audio->Track Change->Switch Track setting is set to Gapless, it doesn't affect DLNA playback.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 10:02:54 pm »

New 17th release delivered it, thank you! However, there is one grain of salt: it adds silence between tracks even if I play single flac/wav file. Very disturbing while playing things like The Dar Side etc. Why adding silence? I might understand this while playing different files. But in my case this is one file. May be there is a way to turn this off somehow?
Unfortunately, DLNA can't handle a totally gapless transition without using a function that is obscure and pretty much unsupported. Nevertheless, we are considering adding that anyway. You might see if you can find out if your renderer supports SetNextAvTransportURI.

dedok

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 09:04:11 pm »

Thank you, Bob. One of my units is PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, and PS Audio developers claim that they managed to run it gapless via DLNA. They built eLyric server and it works gapless. So I belive that they use the same API you mentioned. That would be terrific if you do the same. As of units like Denon receiver I mentioned earlier - well, I doubt but it's still worth trying...

krispy71

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »

Just wanted to pipe in that I pulled the trigger on upgrading from 15 to 17 just for this added feature. Thanks!

sonci

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 01:16:20 pm »

Hi
I have exactly the same problem, strange that it says it was corrected on 17th version. I even tried the latest JRiver,
Cue + flac plays as a long track and cannot skip tracks on my Sony blu ray.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »

Hi
I have exactly the same problem, strange that it says it was corrected on 17th version. I even tried the latest JRiver,
Cue + flac plays as a long track and cannot skip tracks on my Sony blu ray.
Your MC DLNA server cannot be set to "Original Format" when playing cue files. The conversion engine must be used for them. Use "Specified format" and choose wav or some other format.

paristhea

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 03:49:20 am »

Many rips I have are organized as a single flac/ape file with .cue file attached. They play but when I click Next button MC starts playing first track over (though in the list of tracks it shows playing 2nd, 3rd etc.). It happens only when I use DLNA renderer. Direct sound device works fine.
One may argue that it's renderer problem, but this is not so straightforward. Next/Previous buttons do work when an album is ripped as a set of flac/ape files (with or without .cue attached). Seems like this is not my renderer issue (I use PS Audio DAC + Bridge), but software bug. Quite annoying. I purchased MC 16 because it finally started to support my device. This is the only major issue remaining (besides lack of gapless playback which is confirmed to be PS Audio issue). Please help. Thank you.

Similar issue happens over DLNA when you play a single track. 
You can not move it forward, although you can on the normal Player.
I have concluded that this is an issue related to streaming, and i suspect the same will apply to your long Flac file.
And i use MC22 for Mac.
Best regards,
Pages: [1]   Go Up