INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restore MC16  (Read 1814 times)

bobrap

• Recent member
Restore MC16
« on: September 21, 2011, 11:31:57 am »

How do I restore on a new windows install without using one of my 10 restores?  Did I read that correctly...if I use ten restores I have to buy the program again? 

Robo983

• World Citizen
Re: Restore MC16
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 01:23:02 pm »

I asked this same thing once before and it use to be 14 not 10. That limit is only in a year period. You get another 10 loads the next year.

Knowing that helps because I am always re-loading my OS and I have 5 PCs. What I do is try to use as much of the 30 day free trial as possible and try to get as many PCs reloaded in the 30 days with new OS. You can use the code or mjr file I think for up to 14 days after you do a restore from the web site. Jim told me to let them know if I ran into a problem living inside my number of loads per year. They are very good to work with us users so I do not think you should be too concerned.

I always upgrade to the new version every year too so I can't say I have ever tried to load another 10-14 the following year.

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 01:50:12 pm »

What I do is try to use as much of the 30 day free trial as possible

+1. I just rebuilt my main workstation about 17 days ago and will wait until I have a day to go before actually restoring a license. I also use this period to ensure all my updates, libraries, backups and all the rest of the layout is sound before committing to another restore.

I still think that JRiver needs to look at this whole process - especially for paying customers (and shaky or NO internet access). Once I successfully "restore" my license from the actual JRiver servers for the first time - I should be able to save that license data to a local encrypted file (managed of course by MC) that allows me to easily restore my license from my local machine at anytime instead of having to mess around via the Internet everytime. If a guy suddenly loses Internet access - just when the time to restore comes along or when the trial times out - then he is truly screwed with no license at all.

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 02:08:13 pm »

+1. I just rebuilt my main workstation about 17 days ago and will wait until I have a day to go before actually restoring a license. I also use this period to ensure all my updates, libraries, backups and all the rest of the layout is sound before committing to another restore.

I still think that JRiver needs to look at this whole process - especially for paying customers (and shaky or NO internet access). Once I successfully "restore" my license from the actual JRiver servers for the first time - I should be able to save that license data to a local encrypted file (managed of course by MC) that allows me to easily restore my license from my local machine at anytime instead of having to mess around via the Internet everytime. If a guy suddenly loses Internet access - just when the time to restore comes along or when the trial times out - then he is truly screwed with no license at all.

VP
The current system is a balance between ease of use for customers and reasonable assurance of compensation for JRiver.  It's been used for the better part of a decade without serious problems.  So we don't intend to change it.

The system you propose would not work for JRiver.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »

The system you propose would not work for JRiver.

Just as your current system instantly leaves all paying customers with nothing if they experience even the slightest glitch with Internet connectivity when a restore is required.

And I do not understand the "compensation" component to your response - since I am only speaking about those of us who have paid for a license and deserve an easy way to get back up and running after a rebuild (or other disaster) with the software we have already paid for - without worrying about an Internet connection always being there. (which is always not guaranteed).

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 02:56:34 pm »

Just as your current system instantly leaves all paying customers with nothing if they experience even the slightest glitch with Internet connectivity when a restore is required.
If you had to reinstall Windows and MC, you'd have 30 days before you needed an Internet connection in order to restore.

I don't want to argue with you.  I was only trying to give you the courtesy of a reply. 

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 03:07:28 pm »

If you had to reinstall Windows and MC, you'd have 30 days before you needed an Internet connection in order to restore.

But if the connection isn't available on day 31...well you see the point.

I don't want to argue with you.  I was only trying to give you the courtesy of a reply. 

Me either. I am only trying to point out that your "system" has holes and rare as it might be - if conditions were right - a customer could be left with paid software that is unusable.

I do wonder tho - what someone affected by the Japan earthquake earlier in the year would have done with their copy of MC with no Internet infrastructure or access for possibly months?

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up