INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Why would MC save "changes" to tags without my having done anything?  (Read 1729 times)

SBurke

I downloaded MC16 last night in the trial version to give it a shot and see how it would display my music library. It imported files from one drive automatically, it appeared; no concern there. However, right after I closed the program, a message appeared saying something like "Saving changes to tags." I hadn't changed any of the tags! I was concerned that my files could become corrupted so I shut the computer off. Can anyone help and explain what those saved changes could have been? Does MC attempt to alter tags just by virtue of a file's being imported? Many thanks for the help.   

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help! Why would MC save "changes" to tags without my having done anything?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:12:27 pm »

Notwithstanding this may be very disconcerting for a new user, it's very unlikely any existing tag data is being changed. As explained in File Properties (wiki topic), certain fields are set to be saved in file tags by default. One reason why your tags are being updated would be MC has analyzed the files imported and recorded [BPM], [Intensity], [Replay Gain], etc. These are among the fields saved in the file tags. When you close the program, it will first complete any such pending tasks.

SBurke

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 10:12:48 am »

Thanks, Rick, that does help. To be safe I went back to my backup and just overwrote any files that had been changed. Interestingly it looked as if they were all slightly bigger, which would be consistent with your theory (just extra some extra data points written in). I may just try an experiment where I import only certain files and then try to see what if anything was changed. Thanks again, SB 

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 04:23:32 pm »

you can set mc to not write those data to the tags of the files in the options. even which you want and which not, even custom fields. or the covers .. things like that, depending on the file type. take a look at the options>Library&folders>manage library fields, for instance.

:)
gab
Pages: [1]   Go Up