INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help: some video files won't import to JRMC16  (Read 7009 times)

acm313

Help: some video files won't import to JRMC16
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:29:27 am »

Can't seem to figure this one out. I auto-import video files from my external hd to J river. Most of the videos are imported, but others are ignored. I have tried manually importing them multiple times, but the program seems to skip over them. All my video files are mostly avi, with some mpeg. whether the video files are imported or not seems to be arbitrary. Any tips on how to get all my video files to be imported? Thanks

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help: some video files won't import to JRMC16
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:47:52 pm »

When you use auto-import and add the drive/folder you want to import, you can also select or unslect the type of media that is imported form that drive folder.

So you may add "D:\My Files" to the import list and then if you click on (select) the drive/folder and click Edit, and it will open and you can check or uncheck what you want to be imported. Such as "Video", "Audio", "Data", etc. Perhaps some of the media you want/expect to be imported is not selected to be imported. Try and check all the media types and see if that fixes the problem.

acm313

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:59:15 pm »

Thanks for the input. I just deleted my video library from JR and re-imported the files again. It imported almost all of them but says that "92 bad files were not imported." not sure what this means. I assume that is the reason why I am missing some video files in my library. What makes these files bad do you think and is there anything I can do to "fix" those files?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 05:05:18 pm »

What is the full version of MC that you are using?  16.0.179 is on the download page now.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 05:55:03 am »

Yeah, I'm having a bit of trouble with files being ignored and called bad files by MC16. But, if I create a new folder and drag the file in there and then reimport, the file is found and plays fine, i.e. there was nothing wrong with it in the first place.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:08:20 am »

Is there any way to prevent the Bad files to be imported in this "separate" bad file library? It seems like several people have problems with this. What happens with auto import and missing/bad files? If this happens to my TV Show episodes, and I'm missing media without my knowledge, I'll be somewhat frustrated. Is there a way to mark this files as "bad" instead, via a tag? I'd much rather know that it fails, and replace the episode. Perhaps a notification system to the auto import process would be good?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

acm313

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:19:40 pm »

I'm updated to the latest version .179. I'll try out the creating new folder workaround and see how that works. Thanks for the tip. I have played some of the supposedly "bad" files in WMP without any problems. I would just like to know why these files are being considered "bad" by JR?

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 09:16:22 pm »

The work around does the trick. But I can't help but wonder if there are any other 'bad' files in my unsorted folder that I haven't realised are missing.

acm313

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:29:38 pm »

I took your advice and moved the video files from sub-folders into a main folder where all my other video files are and that seems to have corrected the issue. I have a large movie collection and had organized some of the files into folders like "James Bond" or "Pixar" and it seemed those files were the ones often not getting imported. It kind of stinks because I am a bit OCD with file organization, but I can live with this fix for now. Thanks for all the help.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 07:01:52 am »

Bump.

This problem is pretty significant for me at present as at least 50% of my video files are coming up as bad files and I have to mess about to actually add them to my library. It shouldn't be this difficult.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 07:29:53 am »

Are you using the latest build?  It's 16.0.179.

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 09:25:47 am »

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been out of town.

I'm always using the latest build.

I had another 'bad file' not import tonight.

I notice that it only happens to files that are moved from my desktop to my HTPC. Is it possible that MC is trying to auto import files that have only partly moved from one machine to the next and so thinks there is a problem?

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:14 am »

This problem is persisting even into MC17. Is there some way to turn off MC from making the bad file call? I have only ever had perfectly good files called bad.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 11:17:52 am »

This is the workaround:

1) Add Smartlist (F9) > Import / Export > ~d=b > OK > OK

2) Select all files > Right-click > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)

3) Refresh (F5) to see if any files are still marked bad

As for the issue, any details about why these files might have failed to import?  Is this something you can reproduce?  Thanks for any help.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

The Mastermind

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 03:57:31 am »

It always happens with files that I have shifted from my desktop to my HTPC and typically with larger files. If by reproduce do you mean make it happen again? Yes I can, most times I move a large video file from one PC to another, but it is a little random.

I still wonder whether it's because auto import finds half a video file in the middle of the trnsfer and decides it's bad.
Pages: [1]   Go Up