INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Appearance of "New Album", "New Genre", "New Artists" in panes  (Read 2319 times)

Dougr33

• Recent member
Appearance of "New Album", "New Genre", "New Artists" in panes
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:51:02 am »

I really tried to find an answer myself.. no luck.  New to JRiver, and enjoying it. But, I live in the panes view, with Genre, Album Artist, and Album as my panes.  It's really annoying that whenever I click on a song in the bottom pane, these three "entries" appear on the bottom of each pane. I don't even care what they're for... How can I stop it from happening. (and if I really can't, then what the heck's the purpose??)

Thanks for your time folks! 

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Appearance of "New Album", "New Genre", "New Artists" in panes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:39:50 am »

Welcome to Interact.

You've probably also noticed checkboxes appear beside all values in the panes when anything is selected in the list. The purpose of these is twofold. First, they indicate which values have been assigned to the selected files. Second, they facilitate Pane Tagging—whereby values can be changed or assigned using the checkboxes. As their name suggests, the "New..." items are to allow new values to be assigned.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:31:10 am »

I know the reason why they are there, but I've never been a fan of the New items or the Check boxes. It looks out of place when all you do is browse media anyway. I use the list and action window when I tag. Never the panes. There is no need.

For new users, this is probably just in the way, or even confusing. I would appreciate if this could be disabled somehow. Would it not make scene that this options was enabled only when you use F4 (tagging mode)? Not just grayed out. And off as default.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 11:39:06 am »

I use pane tagging a lot. All of my images are tagged this way as it really is the easiest and quickest way to get them done. I'm a big fan of pane tagging, and also believe that the system should be pretty intuitive, even for new users, but accept that that might be the power user in me talking ;)

Either way, I don't think this really needs to be changed. If you click in a tick box, accidentally or otherwise, while pane tagging is turned off, you get a helpful prompt with the option to cancel.

More than just tagging too... if you set up a view with a playlist group as a pane, those tagging check boxes bring you a whole new level of playlist management.

-marko

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 01:38:02 pm »

For new users, this is probably just in the way, or even confusing. I would appreciate if this could be disabled somehow. Would it not make scene that this options was enabled only when you use F4 (tagging mode)? Not just grayed out. And off as default.

No, without it, there would have to be a different way to indicate which values were set in the selected records. Simple highlighting wouldn't work because there are two states to indicate—value exists in all/some selected records. Even if there were a recognizable way to do that, it would be more confusing to have two different ways to show the same thing.

Dougr33

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 07:31:59 pm »

Well, don't want to start a debate on value of pane tagging.. I'll probably use someday. But I visually find it annoying to have entries pop into my panes whenever I click a file in the main window.

So... consensus that there's no way to defeat this behavior?

Thanks for your help folks! Appreciate the quick response.

OH.. here's a another ? if anyone's interested.  As stated, do all my browsing from pane view, and love that I can click AMG and WIKI for more info. BUT, once I've browsed 3 or 4 levels away.. is there any quick way back to the pane view WITH the artist/album I was playing?? Seems I've got to click the back arrow for every level.  I can get back quicker to panes I know, but at the reset position, not back to the artist that started my wandering the web.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »

is there any quick way back to the pane view WITH the artist/album I was playing?

In a Panes View, there's no way to return or even navigate back to a previous selection. You can, of course, see what's playing using Playing Now. From there, you can use the search links (the little arrows to the left of the Genre, Artist and Album) to return to your main view showing the artist or album. If you prefer not to take that detour through PN, add a Search List pane. A single such pane can include any number of defined searches. One of those could be [=IsInPlayingNow()]=[1]. That's a logical statement that will return all tracks currently in the PN list. I also use the Expression Column If(IsInPlayingNow(),♪,) in my primary Panes View to show which tracks are in PN.

Dougr33

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:50:28 pm »

In a Panes View, there's no way to return or even navigate back to a previous selection. You can, of course, see what's playing using Playing Now. From there, you can use the search links (the little arrows to the left of the Genre, Artist and Album) to return to your main view showing the artist or album. If you prefer not to take that detour through PN, add a Search List pane. A single such pane can include any number of defined searches. One of those could be [=IsInPlayingNow()]=[1]. That's a logical statement that will return all tracks currently in the PN list. I also use the Expression Column If(IsInPlayingNow(),♪,) in my primary Panes View to show which tracks are in PN.
Great info, thanks. I'll try that.  What I meant by 'return to pane' was the last pane (which would have the artist/album I was just playing when I clicked on AMG) before MC went to AMG's site (and then I browsed around a few pages).  I CAN keep hitting the 'back' arrow at the upper left to eventually get to the last pane view I was in.

Your solution seems more elegant if I can get it to show when I've browsed out to AMG or WIKI?

rick.ca

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:47:44 pm »

What I meant by 'return to pane' was the last pane (which would have the artist/album I was just playing when I clicked on AMG) before MC went to AMG's site (and then I browsed around a few pages).  I CAN keep hitting the 'back' arrow at the upper left to eventually get to the last pane view I was in.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, you can navigate back. You can also change the behaviour of the link so it opens the page in a new tab or your external browser. Right-click on any link, select Manage Links then Action.

My "solution" assumed you had made a different selection in the panes (i.e., continued to "browse" you collection after sending something to PN), and you wanted to get back to what you had originally selected (and sent to PN).

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 03:09:51 am »

I'm just mentioning that I've never had the need of the New Items or Check Boxes. And I believe that there is much more than just me. So a way of disabling them, even if it means no indication of what items is selected (in the panes), would be nice. Many don't bother with panes as long as they have done the selections they need. They focus on the media list at that time.

Minimalism is perhaps overrated, and why do I really care? Theater View is my arena anyway.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Dougr33

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, you can navigate back. You can also change the behaviour of the link so it opens the page in a new tab or your external browser. Right-click on any link, select Manage Links then Action.

My "solution" assumed you had made a different selection in the panes (i.e., continued to "browse" you collection after sending something to PN), and you wanted to get back to what you had originally selected (and sent to PN).

Well, I should have thought of that!! Thanks!!!

+1 on being able to disable pane tagging and the "New Album, etc." causing my view to flash when activated!

Thanks all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up