INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: copy mp3 files to library from dvd  (Read 2800 times)

bdsfcaus

• Recent member
copy mp3 files to library from dvd
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:47:39 pm »

I cannot find any reference to this simple and common task...
I want to build a new library using 1. ripping cd's (which works fine) and 2. copying mp3 files (and others) from cd's and dvd's. I am only able to add the dvd files to my library--not copy them to the folders on my hard drive in /artist/album/title format and then add to library (as when ripping). Can I really not do this? Do I really need another utility to read tags off files, then create folders and copy to my hard drive?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: copy mp3 files to library from dvd
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 12:53:29 pm »

... 2. copying mp3 files (and others) from cd's and dvd's.
This is done by ripping the CD to MP3.  DVD's can also be ripped but the result is a video.

bdsfcaus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 01:02:34 pm »

I have a dvd in my drive. It has various mp3 files. I want to copy to my 'ripping' folder. If I select import the files are imported into my library with the dvd drive location. If I select RIP I get a message box telling me there is no audio cd in drive to rip.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:58 pm »

You can move files with MC's library tools.  In your case, it might be easier to copy the files in Explorer.

What you have is called a data disc or data DVD.  It can't be ripped.

bdsfcaus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 01:22:57 pm »

if i select a file (one, or all) from my dvd and select library tools/copy/move/rename, I get a message box saying "not all of the selected files can be renamed". After several attempts I assume this is because of the read-only attribute of cd/dvd media. I really cannot believe this program doesn't anticipate this.
I have spent a week ripping many audio cd's and was fairly satisfied with the way this works (using trial version). But now I see it will not import my 'disk' mp3's as easily (and i have many). I really find this hard to believe. I cannot be the only one trying to do this.
If it cannot be done this is a deal breaker for me, I cannot purchase the software. And I can't pay for software which will require extra steps/applications to perform basic tasks. (I do not want to copy files from my dvd to a temp folder, change read-only attribute, use library tools to copy, delete temp files, etc etc etc).
Very disappointed after thinking I'd found a viable alternative to itunes and mediamonkey.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 01:29:53 pm »

You could import the MP3's from the DVD, but that won't change where they are stored.

Copying them with Explorer would be the simplest way to put them where you want them.

The Library Tool called "Move, Copy, Rename" can copy if you want to learn how to use it.

This may be helpful:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 01:34:23 pm »

"Drag and drop" in Drives & Devices works for copying files from a data disc.

For some reason the "Rename, Move & Copy Files" tool does not allow to use its Copy mode. It shows "Not all of the selected tracks can be renamed" and doesn't open the tool window. In my opinion copying should be possible. The warning could come up later if the Rename mode is selected.

If I recall correctly, copying from an optical disc was possible before the separate file handling tools were merged into the single "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" tool.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bdsfcaus

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »

No, it comes up immediately; due to a bug, i suspect, as i said earlier.
It seems the software is not capable of what I need it to do.
No workaround is acceptable if it will not copy the files in artist/album/trackname format automatically as when ripping an audio cd (many of the dvd files are not stored in this format, so I cannot just 'robocopy' them to my hard drive).
Again, I find it really difficult to believe this software cannot perform such a basic task (itunes, which I hate, offers this option (copying) when adding to library; mm offers it in the 'virtual cd' action).
Thanks anyway.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »

No workaround is acceptable if it will not copy the files in artist/album/trackname format automatically as when ripping an audio cd (many of the dvd files are not stored in this format, so I cannot just 'robocopy' them to my hard drive).

The same tool can use the tags in the files to move the files to an Artist/Album hierarchy or similar.

But if you're not willing to learn how it works, it's a waste of your time and ours.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »

Perhaps I was not clear. It does not work.

I just tried MC11.1 (...yes, I still have them all installed on my "test rig"). It has two separate (much simpler) tools: Copy Disk File and Move Disk File. The "copy" tool works just fine when files are copied from a DVD-R disc. The old "move" tool produces the familiar "Not all of the selected tracks can be renamed" error message. When the tools were merged (and greatly enhanced) in MC12 apparently the warning and prevention to use the tool were preserved form the old "move" tool even though the new tool replaced also the old copy tool (which worked for this purpose).

bdsfcaus, seems like you are the first one who has reported this problem. (to Matt from JRiver: I hope it will be easy to fix. :) )

EDIT

Until the problem is fixed, the obvious "no workaround" would be to copy the entire disc to a hard drive with Windows Explorer and after that use the RM&CF tool in MC for reorganizing the files.

EDIT 2

Jim, as you said. You replied while I was typing my edit.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:13:57 pm »

Perhaps I was not clear. It does not work.
I saw that and we will take a look at it, but the work-around is trivial.  Copy and paste in Explorer, then use MC's tools to move to directories by artist, etc.

bdsfcaus

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 02:23:54 pm »

The work-around is trivial? For hundreds of cd's and dvd's with digital audio files? Copy to a temp folder, remove the read-only attribute, then use the library tool? When all i need to do to rip a cd is pop it in the drive? Honestly, if this is the kind of help/support one can expect from this forum, then the real work-around is itunes or mm.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 02:28:25 pm »

AFAIK, XP and later do not apply the read-only flag when files are copied from an optical disc.

When copying files with Windows Explorer the destination can be a folder in your audio files root location. Then the RM&CF tool will just quickly rename the files and paths instead of moving data. Of course, if you have audio folders on several disk partitions then some of the files may need to be physically moved.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »

The work-around is trivial? For hundreds of cd's and dvd's with digital audio files? Copy to a temp folder, remove the read-only attribute, then use the library tool? When all i need to do to rip a cd is pop it in the drive? Honestly, if this is the kind of help/support one can expect from this forum, then the real work-around is itunes or mm.
You've taken a swing at the product or support every time you've posted.  I'm sorry you aren't happy.  You're getting good help.  Alex is one of the most proficient users we have.  I own the company.   

But it's your decision, of course.  If you want to vent, nobody is stopping you from taking your business somewhere else.  If you want help, please be patient and try things you're advised on. 
Copy to a temp folder, remove the read-only attribute, then use the library tool?
The copying to a temp folder could be done for all discs, and then you would run the library tool on the entire group of files (after learning how it works on a small test batch).

When all i need to do to rip a cd is pop it in the drive
That isn't ripping.  Your discs are data discs.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 03:17:19 pm »

Another workaround would be to create a substituted drive letter.

You can issue the SUBST Z: E:\ command in a cmd window for creating a virtual drive letter (replace Z with a preferred free drive letter and replace E with the actual drive letter of the optical drive).

MC does not detect such a virtual drive as an optical drive. The copy modes in the RM&CF tool will then work. After the task is finished the virtual drive can be removed by issuing the SUBST Z: /D command (replace Z with the actual virtual drive letter) or by restarting Windows.

rick.ca

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »

Another workaround would be to create a substituted drive letter.

Nice one! 8)

But why didn't you say so in the first place? ;D

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 05:03:03 pm »

Sometimes you just forgot to think creatively. (I also wanted to try it first. I wasn't sure if it would work with MC.)

It may also belong to the "No workaround is acceptable" category, but I can't help with that.

rick.ca

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 05:29:02 pm »

It may also belong to the "No workaround is acceptable" category, but I can't help with that.

Yes, not a pleasant mantra—especially when you've gone to the trouble to test it yourself. But you know there's always someone out there who appreciates a good workaround. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up