INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding new tracks to NAS and have it update Media Center  (Read 1759 times)

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
Adding new tracks to NAS and have it update Media Center
« on: October 12, 2011, 06:31:22 pm »

After I rip new CD's to the NAS how can I get the Media Center to display them without restarting Media Center?  I have the NAS setup as a DLNA device.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adding new tracks to NAS and have it update Media Center
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:33 pm »

Tools > Import > Auto Import

is your friend :-)

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:26:05 pm »

Tools > Import > Auto Import

is your friend :-)

Are you sure?  With DLNA setup it seems to populate the screen without importing.  I tried manually importing and all it did was triple every track.  Just by resetting the software seems to allow the software to communicate to the DLNA NAS and request for current list of music tracks.  I am new to the DLNA protocol.  Do we have any DLNA experts here?

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »

So, my NAS is a DMS "Digital Media Server" and my PC running Media Center is the DMP "Digital Media Player".  Is this correct? If so, one would think they can communicate in real time and automatically update the list for available content.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »

I see Media Center is both a controller "DMC", and renderer "DMR".

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 12:37:25 am »

In general, DLNA is a crappy workaround when it is compared to the normal Windows file system access method. The media files are accessed through a streaming "internet type" address and the protocol can transmit only a limited, predefined amount of metadata. DLNA does not provide direct access to the file system and thus it is not possible write tag changes back to the files and rename or organize the files. Basically, DLNA is designed for simple HW players that do not provide similar features as a full-blown media management software program like MC.

It would be better to access and import the media files through the NAS device's standard storage sharing system (so that the shared folder or folders appear as a regular Windows network share or shares) than through the device's DLNA server.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:48:41 am »

It would be better to access and import the media files through the NAS device's standard storage sharing system (so that the shared folder or folders appear as a regular Windows network share or shares) than through the device's DLNA server.

When I access the tracks in that fashion it takse a long time before it starts playing the first track.  Now that's when I have the "Plays files from memory instead from disk" selected.  If I unselect it then it starts playing quickly.

Now if I have "Plays files from memory instead from disk" selected and play via DLNA it starts playing quickly also.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 11:05:21 am »

In general, DLNA is a crappy workaround when it is compared to the normal Windows file system access method. The media files are accessed through a streaming "internet type" address and the protocol can transmit only a limited, predefined amount of metadata. DLNA does not provide direct access to the file system and thus it is not possible write tag changes back to the files and rename or organize the files. Basically, DLNA is designed for simple HW players that do not provide similar features as a full-blown media management software program like MC.

Why even support DLNA for audio playback if that's the case?

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 01:52:33 pm »

I tried again and setup the NAS as a normal network drive and have Media Center set to auto import.  After import music tracks seems to play just fine now, no delay at all. Will not use DLNA for music access on external devices anymore.
Pages: [1]   Go Up