INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I can't control JRMC16 from iPhone (SOLVED)  (Read 2140 times)

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
I can't control JRMC16 from iPhone (SOLVED)
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:41:41 pm »

I want to use my iPhone to remote control JRMC16. I am able to control JRMC16 from another laptop using either Team Viewer or LogMeIn.

I tried the Rivermote app. All it will do is select the next track, previous track, play, stop and pause. Useless ... I want to be able to select from my albums in MC.

I then installed the Plugplayer app on my iPhone. I simply can't get it to connect. Is there a simple (and I mean simple, setup tutorial anywhere)

Since I incorporated digital into my system (M2Tech Evo with Paul Hynes power supply, Naim DAC, Naim XPS power supply), I spend less time listening to music and more time trying to find a reliable way of controlling the MC software remotely. In hindsight it was a mistake. I should have stuck with CD and vinyl.

Can someone please tell me how to setup my iPhone as a remote for MC?

TIA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: I can't control JRMC16 from iPhone (Getting sick of it!)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:53:59 pm »

You might try WebRemote.

Or Gizmo on an Android.

We've also had good luck with PlugPlayer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »

Thanks Matt. As I said, I bought the PlugPlayer app as well. I can't configure it ... I can't get the phone to see MC that I have installed on my laptop. I have tried enabling the DNLA devices as per a post for a previous version of MC but to no avail. I want to retain MC 16. It's a great app and it does sound better than other media players. I just want to be able to remote control it from the iPhone. Could you please offer me specific instructions on how to get it to work?

Perhaps the time has come to sell and downsize? I haven't really enjoyed the system since I have gone digital.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:05:12 pm »

Many ways to do it.
As far as I remembered, Rivermote does more than just the controls and you can select playlists etc.
As for webplay  on an iPhone, it works too - have you looked at the network options and added the necessary changes IP numbers, passwords etc.?
Another way is to use Splashtop remote on an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad. There was a great video on AVSforum of this, but I can't find it now. What I like about it is that you can can see an exact, but smaller, version of what's on the monitor, and hence can control TheatreView with a touch interface.I believe it works on cheap Android tablets too.

sunfire7

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:25:40 pm »

PlugPlayer works for me like a charm, maybe its a network issue?
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 09:42:57 pm »

Probably a user issue more like! (LOL). I managed to get other remote apps to work but I can't configure Plugplayer ... Don't know how. Could you please talk (type) me through the required settings for the MC app and the iphone app please sunfire?

Thanks

sunfire7

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 11:57:14 pm »

In MC go to Options>Media Network and thick the first line "Use Media Network to share this library and enable DNLA" then expand the advanced menu and thick every DNLA option ( Server, Render and Controller), then click add or configure DNLA servers, add a new one with the name you want (Mine is "Render MC")

If you only want to control you might want to set cconversion to "never convert" (this will force to play files as they are without touching them), but if you also plan to stream content you can choose to convert to an mp3.

In PlugPlayer just open the app and go to Devices, select the machine name you want to control and in the server select the dnla profile you created.  Thats it you can now browse, play and control MC.

If you dont see MC in plug player the problem is in the network, make sure both are in the same network and you dont have a firewall blocking the connection
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 03:59:14 am »

Thanks for the instructions sunfire. I followed them to the letter and I still can't get it to work. I have disabled my Firewall and Windows Defender is not running. Plugplayer cannot see my laptop that runs MC. The network is probably OK as I can run the TeamViewer app without any problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: I can't control JRMC16 from iPhone
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 07:05:57 am »

I removed some of the grumbling above.  Try to keep it on topic.

Make sure you have the latest version of MC.  It's 16.0.179.  And the same for plugplayer.

The topic called "Network Access" on our wiki might be helpful.

Power down and back up all network equipment and all PC's.  Start at the wall and work back to the PC's.  Give each device a minute or so to boot.

As Matt said, consider using Gizmo on an Android.  There we are providing both sides and can give you better help.  The Samsung Galaxy Tab is my favorite:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66666.0  (available in three sizes -- 7", 9", and 10".

The plugplayer forum might also be useful.

JazzDoc

• World Citizen
Re: I can't control JRMC16 from iPhone (SOLVED)
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 03:25:37 am »

Thanks for the advice Matt and Jim. First thing to report is that I've solved the problem with WebRemote. Seems to work really well. The only thing it lacks (Maybe I have missed it?) is a scroll bar so that I can skip to certain parts of longer tracks.

I never had any luck getting PlugPlayer to work. I used to own an Android based phone (Samsung Galaxy Mini) but I couldn't get it to work with my Parrott based car entertainment system. I really need that facility on the move, hence the change to an iPhone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up