INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presentation Glitches  (Read 13800 times)

GaryM

• Recent member
Presentation Glitches
« on: October 17, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »

I am in need of advice on this... I'm playing back standard definition DVDs, PAL, ripped to mkv with makemkv. Red October HQ, default settings, HW accelerate when able, Videoclock on, Nvidia GT440 DDR3 latest stable Nvidia driver, Win 7 32 bit, Core2Duo CPU. Projector and desktop refresh are at 50Hz (2x Pal rate). Fullscreen exclusive mode.

I thought I was seeing dropped frames, but bringing up MadVR's onscreen display shows in exclusive mode I'm getting Presentation glitches. It can accumulate to 1000 or so in an hour. Visually it looks like a frame drop when it happens. I'm not getting dropped frames, and the queues all look good.

I've been through everything I can based on comments here and on the Doom9 MadVR thread, to no avail. I've removed everything that might interfere under Windows 7, virus scanner etc, turned on and off Aero, disabled Windows Media Center, removed and clean installed the Nvidia driver. Finally removed and clean reinstalled JRiver. Still no change.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Presentation Glitches
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:48:00 pm »

I don't think that's our error.  MadVR?

Here's another similar thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66973.0

It turned out to be bad memory.

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:54:05 pm »

Yeah, I'm figuring its MadVR. I followed the thread that concluded with bad memory, and I'll run a memory check on the machine soon. Still I thought someone might have some insight on this here.

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:54:23 pm »

OK, the MadVR thread on Doom9 forum has the information. From Madshi himself it seems the recent Nvidia drivers don't play nicely with MadVR and the mode I'm in... video file fps at 25, display refresh 50Hz. Many over there have been fighting presentation glitches since driver 260.xxx One detailed report suggests that driver 260.99 is the last one before the regression. I'm going to downgrade to that. Might affect LAVCUD usage, but I'd rather be free of the glitches. I will report.

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 03:17:10 pm »

I spent some time on this, tried quite a few different sets of drivers from Nvidia, and followed all of the recommendations from the MadVR thread on Doom9. None of the changes I made provided a consistent cure... some files were OK, others clocked up glitches. From the Doom9 thread it is clear that this problem does not have a fix that is repeatable on differing systems, most people found a fix, but by experimentation in their own system. In the end for me I found that with the most recent non beta Nvidia drivers, exclusive mode, and the old presentation path (turn off present frames in advance) I get smooth playback without obvious glitches or dropped frames.

Next I am going to replace my GT440 with an AMD HD6670 to see what difference I find.

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:42:04 am »

Followup... the AMD card didn't work at all. I now have a GT440 with GDDR5 memory from Asus. That and the MadVR option to not present frames in advance have solved the problems I had.

madshi

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:28 am »

Hey guys,

it seems that the latest NVidia WHQL driver finally fixed the presentation glitches:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/48847#

This should be a very happy day for madVR/NVidia users. No more fiddling around with madVR tweak options to work around the presentation glitches. Default settings should work just fine now, and produce the best results.

GaryM

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 12:24:34 am »

I can confirm this. Despite thinking I had a working ROHQ setup previously I did not on all material. Now at last it seems to work universally and ROHQ is ready for all to enjoy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up