INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from Windows Media Center to JRiver Media Center -- Questions  (Read 10351 times)

pfm555

• World Citizen

i am on the trial version of JRiver and have basically three questions or issues.

1. In regards to the remote commands. i am using a Windows MCE remote and while all the transport buttons work perfect i cant seem to get the program to open with any of the buttons on the remote. Also i would like to be able to switch to theater view. Do you have to purchase the JRiver remote that is being offered on the website to get these functions?

2. I have up to now been using Windows media center for my music playback. i have created quite a large number of auto playlists. While JRiver has an option to import playlists, it will not import these (auto) playlists. is there a way to do this?

3. Are there any plans to support Ceton tuners for the TV section?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Three issues with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »

i am on the trial version of JRiver and have basically three questions or issues.

1. In regards to the remote commands. i am using a Windows MCE remote and while all the transport buttons work perfect i cant seem to get the program to open with any of the buttons on the remote. Also i would like to be able to switch to theater view. Do you have to purchase the JRiver remote that is being offered on the website to get these functions?
Welcome to the forum.
Set MC to start Media Server on Windows startup for (only) the user you will run it as. MC/Tools/Options/Startup/Windows Startup.

Under Theater View options, you can tell MC to disable WMC so that the Green Button works in MC.
2. I have up to now been using Windows media center for my music playback. i have created quite a large number of auto playlists. While JRiver has an option to import playlists, it will not import these (auto) playlists. is there a way to do this?
Can you export them from WMC as m3u files?
3. Are there any plans to support Ceton tuners for the TV section?
It's possible, not certain.

pfm555

• World Citizen
Re: Three issues with JRiver
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 03:01:32 pm »

Fastest response i have ever got on a forum. Thank you very much! My issue now would be recorded TV and live TV, if i disable MCE in the theater view options does it only disable the green button or all commands (i.e. recorded TV and live TV) for MCE.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Moving from Windows Media Center to JRiver Media Center -- Questions
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:13:41 pm »

I believe that MC will catch all the button presses from the remote.

Some here do use both.  I'm not familiar with how they do this.  You can start other programs from Theater View (see the options).  It might be possible to start WMC.

I think you can record in WMC and play in MC.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 03:31:00 pm »

I switched from Windows Media Center to JRiver MC a while back and I did not change anything on my remote. I use the Harmony remote programmed for Windows Media Center. All of the buttons that worked in Windows MC work the same in JRiver MC.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:28 am »

Jim,
I followed your instructions and set MC to start Media Server on Windows startup and disabled WMC. I could not get the green button to open MC. When i opened MC manually and go to theater view the transport, up and down buttons all work. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:54 am »

Are you on XP?

Does the Green Button work if you open MC manually?

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 02:47:26 pm »

no i am on Windows 7 64 bit. green button does not work

perpetual98

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 03:07:40 pm »

I may be wrong here, but I think the green button is intrinsically programmed into Windows.  MC WILL use it if it's already running, but it can't be programmed to start MC if it isn't already running.  You could maybe use something like EventGhost or Girder to snag the incoming IR command for the green button and fire up a program.

Or I'm completely full of it, but that's the way I understand it.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 03:28:51 pm »

I may be wrong here, but I think the green button is intrinsically programmed into Windows.  MC WILL use it if it's already running, but it can't be programmed to start MC if it isn't already running. 
It will start MC, if Media Server is running.  There is an option to run Media Server on Windows Start.  See the Startup section of MC's options.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:26:06 am »

i went into the options and set it for media server to run on windows start, i also disabled the windows media center under theater view. i restarted the computer and nothing happens when i push the green button. Do i need to purchase the  mc remote that is being sold on the  JRiver website to be able to open mc by remote?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 09:45:22 am »

You've set it up correctly.  I don't know why it's not working.

Is it possible that the Green Button was reprogrammed?

Did it work with WMC?

The MC Remote is a standard remote that works with WMC or MC, so I don't think it would solve your problem.

Does the IR receiver flash when you press the Green Button?

If you start MC, does the Green Button do anything?  It should do what the F11 key does.

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 09:15:59 am »

i tried this morning and the green button does nothing in media center. i kept getting a pop up that said windows could not open the program due to some restrictive policy. F11 from my keyboard does nothing either.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 09:38:48 am »

That sounds like a UAC problem or similar.  Try turning it off.

If F11 doesn't work when MC is running, I don't know what is going on.   

pfm555

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:52:29 am »

The UAC was turned off

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 10:21:27 am »

How about a virus checker?

Please confirm that hitting the F11 key when MC has the focus does not switch to Theater View.  Hit it several times.  If that's not working, something on your machine isn't working or is causing a problem.  Try killing other processes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up