INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO Soundcard for Audio Question  (Read 2657 times)

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
ASIO Soundcard for Audio Question
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:53:01 am »

I have the M-Audio 2496 Audiophile card that has been idle since dismantling the AV workstation I had. Now I am thinking of installing the card in my new HTPC to where I can listen to my audio with optimum quality.

Question is, all of my HDMI related audio (movie codecs and such) are routed through the GTS450 video card to the AVR. I want to be able to route audio-only sources (FLAC's and such) through the 2496 to the AVR via a separate connection. The card has RCA outputs for 2-channel and SPDIF coax and supports ASIO. I could use the RCA outputs but I want to ensure that the HDMI audio isn't affected by the soundcard. I can then setup MC to do all of my audio through the 2496.

And of course there's zoning to learn..

Any thoughts on this?

DarkPenguin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: ASIO Soundcard for Audio Question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:22:52 pm »

I don't think you need to zone.  You can select different audio devices for video and audio.  I did this until my HTPC blew up.

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:05:53 pm »

I have the M-Audio 2496 Audiophile card that has been idle since dismantling the AV workstation I had. Now I am thinking of installing the card in my new HTPC to where I can listen to my audio with optimum quality.

Question is, all of my HDMI related audio (movie codecs and such) are routed through the GTS450 video card to the AVR. I want to be able to route audio-only sources (FLAC's and such) through the 2496 to the AVR via a separate connection. The card has RCA outputs for 2-channel and SPDIF coax and supports ASIO. I could use the RCA outputs but I want to ensure that the HDMI audio isn't affected by the soundcard. I can then setup MC to do all of my audio through the 2496.

And of course there's zoning to learn..

Any thoughts on this?
Video card HDMI will only do 24/48 so you should use the RCA connectors on the sound card to get true bit perfect audio. You can use the S/PDIF connections but you won't get bit perfect due to the conversion to Dolby Digital.
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:17:09 pm »

Video card HDMI will only do 24/48 ....
What makes you believe that?  Any HDMI connection should pass whatever is sent, without respect to bitrate or bitdepth. 

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 01:35:02 am »

What makes you believe that?  Any HDMI connection should pass whatever is sent, without respect to bitrate or bitdepth.  
I'm talking about the HDMI output on the computer. Look at the playback settings in windows 7 and click on output format. You will only see the supported format being 24/44.1 and 24/48. ASIO doesn't seem to work for HDMI. My video card is an Asus GTX560ti Top card. WASAPI works with HDMI. To get surround sound you have to use the S/PDIF Passthrough get get full 24/96. I can't see where you can do a Passthrough using HDMI.

As far as I understand at what he wants to do is, he wants to use MC for only audio? Does he want to use another Application for video? Can you use one Audio interface for just Audio and another Audio interface for movies with audio in MC on the same machine?
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003
Pages: [1]   Go Up