INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I force a Server to pre convert video files?  (Read 2087 times)

swinster

• World Citizen
Can I force a Server to pre convert video files?
« on: November 06, 2011, 08:42:58 am »

Hi,

Just playing with some old home video files in a MC Served Library. I have set the client to ask for conversion to MP4, which the server eventually does and creates a stack for the media types. However, is there a way to just initialise this at the server and pre-convert ALL my home video media that i select? There are options to convert audio files but not video.

In My case I could then get rid of the original MOV files that take up huge amounts of space, rather than create a stack.

Also, the at the media server, thumbnails are created for the MOV files, yet they thumbnails are not seen at the client. The Thumbnails for the created MP4 do show however.

I would also like more separation of the client and server roles (which I now frustrates a LOT of people - but this is best left to This (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67229.msg452145#msg452145) post, which I wish someone would take seriously.

Cheers,

Chris

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can I force a Server to pre convert video files?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »

Yes.

If you set up a Handheld in MC that points to a folder (for example, on an external drive), set the video conversion settings for the handheld, enable conversion cache (and stacking).  Then any video you sync to that handheld will converted and be kept in the cache (you can use a Smartlist to easily add all new videos or to select all of your existing ones too).  You can just delete the contents of the folder/drive then if you don't need them (but this can be handy for moving video onto a laptop or pocket-hard drive or something like that).

I don't know if there is a way to add a /dev/null type path to the Handheld system on MC.  I've never tried.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 12:53:26 pm »

I would also like more separation of the client and server roles (which I now frustrates a LOT of people - but this is best left to This (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67229.msg452145#msg452145) post, which I wish someone would take seriously.

I think they're taking it seriously.

There is just always a lot to do, and they have to focus on one thing at a time, put one foot in front of the other.  All things in good time.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 01:41:03 pm »

I've read that thread, but as I tried to say there, it's something that I think only a few people want, and would provide little appeal for most.  It would also take a lot of time to do.  It's very unlikely to ever happen.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 08:52:01 am »

Off topic but,

I think they're taking it seriously.

There is just always a lot to do, and they have to focus on one thing at a time, put one foot in front of the other.  All things in good time.

I've read that thread, but as I tried to say there, it's something that I think only a few people want, and would provide little appeal for most.  It would also take a lot of time to do.  It's very unlikely to ever happen.

But not THAT Seriously.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 09:03:36 am »

Yes.

If you set up a Handheld in MC that points to a folder (for example, on an external drive), set the video conversion settings for the handheld, enable conversion cache (and stacking).  Then any video you sync to that handheld will converted and be kept in the cache (you can use a Smartlist to easily add all new videos or to select all of your existing ones too).  You can just delete the contents of the folder/drive then if you don't need them (but this can be handy for moving video onto a laptop or pocket-hard drive or something like that).

I don't know if there is a way to add a /dev/null type path to the Handheld system on MC.  I've never tried.

Cheers Glynor,

So, there's no way of simply setting a conversion off directly? I don't think I will be wanting or be able to to plug in a handheld into the server everytime I want to convert some files. This would then involve firstly me copying the files to the handheld device from the shared location, then taking the device physically to the server and plugging it in, and then initiating a synchronisation, then removing the original files from the shared location - All very cumbersome.

I know I could do this with third party apps such as TMPEG or similar, but as MC obviously has some code within it to do this, then I would be great if this could be done from the interface.

The only other way I have been able to so this in MC is from the client to individually play each of the files I want to convert form a Client - which is also awkward when you have hundreds of file you want to convert. I don't know how many files are queued by MC or how many it convers at one time.

Chris

flac.rules

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:52 am »

What is unlikely to happen? Using a database, or extending server/client-functionality? The latter is important to me, but how its done technically (the former), is "not my concern".

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:59:20 am »

What is unlikely to happen? Using a database, or extending server/client-functionality? The latter is important to me, but how its done technically (the former), is "not my concern".
We will continue to extend client / server functionality.  It's very important.  We will not radically change the architecture.  Splitting the server from the program, for example.

We also won't change the database we use (ours) in the forseeable future.  I think it's world class in performance.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:15:25 pm »

It's very unlikely to ever happen.

Too bad, it really needs to happen.  MANY people have requested features that require this to change.  I'm flabbergasted to see you write this...

...it's something that I think only a few people want, and would provide little appeal for most....

I can't think of any user that wouldn't want total control of their media, whether they understand client/server or not.

But, as we all know, you make the rules, so we'll just keep making due and enjoy the rest of MC :)
pretend this is something funny

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:24:03 pm »

We will continue to extend client / server functionality.  It's very important.  We will not radically change the architecture.  Splitting the server from the program, for example.

We also won't change the database we use (ours) in the forseeable future.  I think it's world class in performance.

That's fine with me as long as we're eventually able to get some of the features we need added to the Client/Server system.

The main reason I suggested possibly splitting the server from the client was for "financial" reasons.  That's a business-side decision, and you certainly have a (much) better handle on that stuff than any of us do.

Personally, I'm not really "burning" for any of the really fancy stuff (user accounts, multiple libraries, and whatnot).  I'd just like to see the "equivalence of features between a client copy of MC on a LAN and using the server itself".  That should be top client/server-scope priority to me.

PS.  I agree on the database system.  If you've ever actually used a big DAM system based on an "open relational" database (like Oracle or SQL), you know why he says that.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 01:41:17 pm »

All very interesting stuff, but it still doesn't get the issue of the conversion resolved (apart from Glyndors stab at it, which didn't IMHO - sorry Glyndor).

Can we move these comments over to the topic listed at the top, as they are more relevant there. PS. I don't doubt the Database has less overhead than a SQL type engine, but can't that be a separate entity? I do use SQL (although not an active developer) but see no real noticeable lag in queries or results. I can't believe that hundreds of millions of users of these types of RDBMS have issues either.

swinster

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 07:07:53 pm »

Hi All, can I take it that (apart form Glynor's method of moving files onto a hand-held device, then back in the library, or by individually playing each file in the client) there is no way to force the server to pre-convert video files in the same way that can be done for audio?

If not, then could this be built in as an option seeing as the facility exists within MC already, but obviously hidden?

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up