INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative ASIO X-FI Elite Pro ASIO problems  (Read 7084 times)

antoninus

• Recent member
Creative ASIO X-FI Elite Pro ASIO problems
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:15:26 am »

Hi,

I downloaded the free version of MC to test as a replacement for another program and have run into some issues.

My setup:
Windows XP SP3 (all updates applied)
SoundBlaster Platinum Elite Pro (latest drivers installed)

I'm playing WAV files ripped from CD.

Everything works fine except with ASIO. When selecting Creative ASIO in MC it sounds like it is running through some kind of effect. It becomes thin and distorted. (All Creative effects are turned off and MC's DSP modes are disabled.)

If I start up MC in Creative ASIO mode with Creative Crystalizer running and then turn Crystalizer off it causes my PC to reboot. (No blue screen just reboot)

Any ideas on how to resolve these issues?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Creative ASIO X-FI Elite Pro ASIO problems
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:26:17 am »

Please try WASAPI (both types).

antoninus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:34:14 am »

I don't have an option for WASAPI because I'm running Windows XP.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 12:17:55 pm »

I haven't heard this report before, and ASIO is used by many users.

Try 'Audio creation' mode in the card's control panel.  Double-check that the effects are off in the ASIO panel, because Creative makes this a little hard to see.

Also, does DirectSound sound correct?

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ozzy_scl

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »

Are you running MC via exclusive mode?
I had similar problems before I realised that, sometimes if I played a video on youtube, and then MC I either ended up with a blue screen on the thin distorted sound you descrived.
It seems that somehow part of the audio was "stuck" somewhere, like the drivers didn't act properly.

Using Mc in exclusive mode, plus disabling everything I didn't use for audio solved my problem.

antoninus

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 09:09:07 am »

I would like to thank everyone for their help in resolving my problems with MC and ASIO. Unfortunately, the problems persist.

I uninstalled MC16 (libraries and all) and disabled MS Media Center. Then ran CCleaner and rebooted. Reinstalled MC16 and the problems remain.I can, however, add some additional information.

Yes, DirectSound sounds normal, not thin and with the chorus effect like ASIO. I also tried Kernel Streaming mode but it sounds just like ASIO.

Whether in DirectSound, Kernel Streaming or ASIO, if I engage or disengage Creative Crystalizer it causes the PC to instantly reboot. I had originally thought this problem didn't exist with DirectSound but upon further testing it happens regardless of the mode.

Surround sound is only possible if I engage the Creative CMSS prior to starting MC16. (I have not tested Dolby Digital or played movies yet.) Trying to engage surround from MC16 DSP settings results in an error message that the sound card doesn't support this, and it asks if I would like to listen in two channel mode. Yet, the card works fine in these modes with other players.

I have tested three other popular media players and they all seem to work without any problem. Their must be something set wrong somewhere in MC16.

MC16 is the media player best suited to my needs and I really hope that I can get it to work. The media server via my Android phone is awesome!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 09:57:21 am »

Yes, DirectSound sounds normal, not thin and with the chorus effect like ASIO. I also tried Kernel Streaming mode but it sounds just like ASIO.
That means that your ASIO driver may be the problem.

You could try WASAPI (both).

You could try updating the sound card drivers.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 10:05:05 am »

I think this means the audio stack in Media Center is delivering good data, but the driver doesn't handle Kernel Streaming or ASIO well.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the sound driver might be worth a try.

Also, double check the channel routing for ASIO in the Creative Control panel.  It can be configured to route sound to channels the card doesn't have (like "top speaker") that then get redistributed by the driver to your main speakers (but with a distorted sound).

antoninus

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 11:13:51 am »

UPDATE

I uninstalled all Creative software and drivers, and then reinstalled. The sound is now working perfectly.  :)

Unfortunately, I still have the instant reboot when activating Crystalizer or CMSS from the external control module. If activate these through the Creative software console it works without rebooting. Is anyone esle having problems with the external module? (pictured here - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,1877574,00.asp#fbid=snB6q4z0eok

Creative Control Panel doesn't show any ASIO settings. Are they hidden?

Does MC16 require an external Dolby/DTS processor for surround sound, or does it do its own processing?

Can surround sound be used from MC16 DSP settings? I turned on JRSS v 2.0 within MC16 but it popped up an error that this was not possible with the CD I was listening to.

I apologize for the multitude of questions but I'm trying to get my mind around how to configure MC16.

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 11:27:08 am »

Glad to hear you got it working.

You can decode DTS, DD, etc. or bitstream it to an external decoder.  It's better to let Media Center decode when possible, because then you can leverage all the nice audio features, VideoClock, etc.

This might help as well:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup

antoninus

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 11:51:31 am »

A little more about my setup. My SoundBlaster X-Fi card feeds directly into a five channel amplifier. The HTPC is the pre-amp/receiver.

I enabled JRSS and then tried to play a two channel WAV file. A window popped up and said that it couldn't play the file with the 5.1 settings and asked if I wanted to revert to two channel and listen to the file.

My X-Fi card is set to 5.1 channel playback and all channels work when using Windows Media Player 11 with Creative CMSS. Does Creative CMSS need to be turned on for MC16 to use JRSS?

At the moment I'm nuking everything and upgrading it to Windows 7.  Maybe this will help resolve some of the problems.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 12:04:50 pm »

I run a really similar setup at home.  Analog outputs from a Creative X-Fi feed straight into a 7-channel power amplifier.  I love it.

At the moment I'm nuking everything and upgrading it to Windows 7.  Maybe this will help resolve some of the problems.

Good idea.

Then use 'Audio Creation Mode' with your sound card.  Basically you want to get the sound card driver out of the way and do processing with Media Center.

antoninus

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 12:25:03 pm »

The upgrade went smoothly and now everything is working as expected.  :)

Thank you for your help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up