INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YouTube matters  (Read 3676 times)

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
YouTube matters
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:08:59 am »

Up front: maybe I should be a little bit ashamed of myself for mainly using Medi Center for playback purposes only..  ;)

I just updated to the latest v.17 and checked out the Media Center Wiki, main index. As a matter of fact, I was looking for what Media Center could offer with regards to YouTube. I have tried out quite a number of YouTube downloaders and most of them, well, I find them pretty much userUNfriendly, having to copy paste URL's, no queue or batch-possibilities and so on.

The index does not have an YouTube entry. So being unsure of what MC cud/cud not offer, I did some searches and saw some writing something about youtube download, i.e. there must be something with
regards to YouTube.

I found a YouTube link in MC under Connected Media. It opened the youtube page alright.
That's it then ?

I donot see a way to put things in queue and download them, but maybe it is not (yet) possible?

Like hoovering over the clips and the clips then show a download arrow or something like that?

Where to find more info about using MC together with Youtube?

TIA

=

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Re: YouTube matters
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:36:15 am »

You should get a context menu when you click on the video in standard view. If not, try pressing the Shift button when clicking.

One of the options is to download and save the video.

Saved videos appear in 'Other' in the Video section of Theater View. Hope that helps.

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: YouTube matters
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:13:13 am »

Hi,

Thank you so much!

As said, sofar I have been using MC for playback and have been using other utilities to queue and download from YouTube.

I was not aware of the features within MC.

Also I have to confess that I did not click on the video, because I expected that it would open it and start playing, rather than showing a context menu.

Maybe JRiver should 'promote' the YouTube features a little bit more...

Anyway, thanks again!

Maybe at one point in time it will be possible to also download flash videos, like:
http://beta.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1115597

==

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:52:05 am »

Problem is that these videos have use Silverlight DRM / Download protection.

While not being able to download them, you can still watch them from within MC by adding it to the Video > connected media > Right Click > Add website. 

Ventoux

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:40:22 am »

Is there a way to have MC save your searches or create favorites for YouTube?

I like the feature, but every time I use it I have to start a new search.

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:53:48 am »

Problem is that these videos have use Silverlight DRM / Download protection.

While not being able to download them, you can still watch them from within MC by adding it to the Video > connected media > Right Click > Add website. 

Oh well, this was meant as an example only. For this specific case, one may use a special downloader (even available in a portable version) designed to downloads this type of videos. One can even put those videos in queue. The URL above links to a site where one can find and watch 'missed tv-broadcasts'.

That aside, as for YouTube:  a further enhancement might be to be able to add url's to a playlist and then, later, have the entire playlist downloaded, when the pc is idle or not used for other Internet-activities.

Just an idea  ;)
=

locust

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:09 pm »

As said, sofar I have been using MC for playback and have been using other utilities to queue and download from YouTube.

http://www.freemake.com/downloads/

I use this for downloading from Youtube, it works perfectly and also adds an add-on to chrome. (Firefox too I think) It has a nice interface and you can queue.. (And it's free :))

It works with most sites...

As for flash video and other protected harder to download content this one works better

http://www.hidownload.com/

You can set it if to sniff your network adapter to save any video that comes through it, so in theory it will download as you play it.. This one isn't as user friendly but can get more content than any other..

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 03:18:37 pm »

For youtube content I want to save I use saveyoutube.com. You just paste the URL from youtube and then it gives you a list of all the file types/size that are available to download. I usually choose the 720 or 1080p mp4 files if available. After I import into MC I will usually change the playback range to get rid of stuff at the beginning or end of the video clip.

locust

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 04:33:42 pm »

That is much simpler than downloading a program the only bad thing about that site is that you can queue downloads..

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 08:04:17 pm »

MC used to let you save the URL as the database entry, then create playlists from them. So you would simply stream the youtube content when you selected the "file", however this changed somewhere along the v16 path because I think youtube changed their api and added an expiry to the link MC imports to your library.

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 11:44:35 am »

Thanks for all suggestions and .. sorry for the delay.

You may have a look at MediAvatar Fee YouTube Download. This program is hardly discussed anywhere. It uses the Google site as a browser, when you hoover over a clip, a green download button shows up and you can download it, each other videoclip is queued. This is the idea I hope will be available in MC one day, together with the possibility of downloading the more difficult flash stuff. This way it won't be necessary to install a few apps for different tasks.

=

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 11:52:35 am »

Thanks for all suggestions and .. sorry for the delay.

You may have a look at MediAvatar Fee YouTube Download. This program is hardly discussed anywhere. It uses the Google site as a browser, when you hoover over a clip, a green download button shows up and you can download it, each other videoclip is queued. This is the idea I hope will be available in MC one day, together with the possibility of downloading the more difficult flash stuff. This way it won't be necessary to install a few apps for different tasks.

=

Media Center can download from YouTube.  Use Tree > Video > Connected Media > YouTube.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 12:13:49 am »

Matt, Can you please confirm if in fact youtube did change their API so we can no longer simply save the link to the video? I know MC LET'S us save the link, but it seems unable to play them the next day...

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 06:42:52 am »

Media Center can download from YouTube.  Use Tree > Video > Connected Media > YouTube.

I know...

The idea is to be able to very easily create download-queues, and so on, simply by hoovering over the videoclips and click on something like add to queue.

=

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:43 pm »

I'd like to bring this thread up again.

YouTube, when I click on a video, a pop-up shows up, allowing me to decide what to do.
Download the video, the url, etc.

At the bottom of this box I can tag to do this action all the time (something like that), so the pop-up doesnot show up.
I tagged that option.

How to regain access to that pop-up again?

i.e. how to untag it so I get this pop-up window again and I can change the setting?

TIA
=

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »

Try a ctrl-click on the link.

mrwul

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 12:10:49 pm »

Ah - Thanks!

What about this idea ?

Add 'queue to download' to the youtube download panel

So users can add YouTube videos and start the download at a later stage (a downloadstart button shd be available).
They might wish to add YouTube videos to a queue and once the time is suitable, they can start the download.
Also, when reviewing the downloadlist, they may wish to delete a download because (for example) they have queued
a better (quality) video.

=
Pages: [1]   Go Up