INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GeekTonic Blog  (Read 1826 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
GeekTonic Blog
« on: November 11, 2011, 10:32:42 am »

The GeekTonic HTPC Blog is done by Brent Evans who was a long time BeyondTV user and for the past several years a SageTV user. He used to be quite active on their forums, but I think has lost some interest with Sage being sold. I believe his blog has a large following in the HTPC community.

He made a post this morning that I responded to: http://www.geektonic.com/2011/11/boxee-adding-livetva-dvr-short-of.html  As you will see in ‘Comments’ he has asked me to do a write-up on MC. For a variety of reasons I would like to decline, but wonder if someone else here might like to do it instead.

Thanks,
Rod

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: GeekTonic Blog
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »

That's pretty cool.

I read GeekTonic regularly.  Fantastic stuff there.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 10:59:49 pm »

That's pretty cool.

I read GeekTonic regularly.  Fantastic stuff there.

Does that mean you'd like to do the MC writeup for him?

Thanks,
Rod

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:20:58 am »

i write. I will do it if you wish, albeit I am "audio-only".
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:01:07 am »

i write. I will do it if you wish, albeit I am "audio-only".

pcstockton,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. GeekTonic Blog has a lot of focus on TV/Video. Here is Brent's Blog comment about Boxee that I responded to yesterday:  

"Sorry but true DVR functionality is a necessity for my HTPC.  And factor in that you can only use this for over-the-air and unencrypted cable TV.  I want fully-functional DVR and the ability to tune those encrypted cable channels.  Otherwise it’s not enough for 99.9% of my TV use.  Yes this is welcome news because it’s better than no DVR support, but not enough in my opinion.  I’m still hoping for something good coming from GoogleTV and AppleTV.  Otherwise HTPC as we know it will die as Microsoft lets their MediaCenter product whither on the vine".

I bolded the last sentence.

So I think it should probably be someone that uses the "DVR functionality" of MC to be able to fully explain how things work in MC.

Thanks again.

Rod

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:12:15 am »

I volunteer glynor.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:17:19 pm »

pcstockton,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. GeekTonic Blog has a lot of focus on TV/Video. Here is Brent's Blog comment about Boxee that I responded to yesterday:  

"Sorry but true DVR functionality is a necessity for my HTPC.  And factor in that you can only use this for over-the-air and unencrypted cable TV.  I want fully-functional DVR and the ability to tune those encrypted cable channels.  Otherwise it’s not enough for 99.9% of my TV use.  Yes this is welcome news because it’s better than no DVR support, but not enough in my opinion.  I’m still hoping for something good coming from GoogleTV and AppleTV.  Otherwise HTPC as we know it will die as Microsoft lets their MediaCenter product whither on the vine".

I bolded the last sentence.

So I think it should probably be someone that uses the "DVR functionality" of MC to be able to fully explain how things work in MC.

Thanks again.

Rod

MC has the same issue with DVR - doesn't work for cable card solutions.  I have seen rumblings from both JRiver and Ceton that both would like to see this functionality get added, but right now Windows Media Center is the only game in town if you need Cable Card support.
Pages: [1]   Go Up