INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where's the PLAY button in Theater View?  (Read 6087 times)

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
Where's the PLAY button in Theater View?
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:59:17 pm »

I love JRiver, and I use the Theater View exclusively. I only use JRiver for my music playback in a music only setup that I have that is controlled by a touch screen panel. One thing I cannot figure out is how to select a single song for play. When I scroll thru all my music and select an album a menu with all the CD's songs comes up. Well if I just want to hear 1 song and not the whole album I would assume I could just select, say song 3 and that song would begin, except it doesn't. I'm forced to select PLAY ALL from the top menu, then select PLAY ALL again from the smaller menu below the previous one, and then listen to the whole CD. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a 1 touch single song play button somewhere?

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Where's the PLAY button in Theater View?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:56:59 pm »

I'm not sure, but try the "More Play Options".

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 08:02:33 pm »

Yes, it seems to be in the MORE tab. This is odd. Once you select the CD to hear and the tracks are displayed it should be at this point where you could easily select PLAY or PLAY ALL, or maybe by tapping on a song PLAY should commence. Having to push 2 extra buttons and scroll to the right just to play 1 song that you actually selected 2 presses ago seems counter-intuitive. Would a change/update seem needed?  ;) Also, just a personal thing here, the box that surrounds the main menu selections looks very "cheap". Maybe a thicker and rounder border would look better. Just my opinion.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 03:41:00 pm »

My observation is that MC remembers your last choice and hides the other commands in 'more play options'.
Most of the time you maybe want to 'Add' a song to the playlist and then this is the easy accessable command. If you select 'Play' once this command will get in front and you have to go to 'more play options' to find 'Add' again.

Did you ever try to control theaterview with an IR remote ? It works much better than a mouse.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:51 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I use a touchscreen to control playback in my system. Also, I use MC16 for just music playback in a dedicated system, so I use the theater view and select everything with a touch. THe problem I'm having is I'm having to push a lot of commands to just play 1 song from a CD or to beging playback from, say 3rd song. Every one else who uses the system (wife, duaghter, freinds) are in agreeance. It's much easier to have the "basic" commands always on display ( PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, FAT FOWARD, REWIND ) when you call up a CD, rather than go into an OPTIONS tab just to select PLAY. I don't use playlists ( not yet, anyway ). Currently as I enter a CD's track listing by selecting the CD, I can push track 3 and nothing happens. I then have to select PLAY ALL from the top row. The next lower row appears and I am given the same options as the previous row. I select PLAY ALL again and now all the songs start to play - but not just song 3! Very counter-intuitive. Everything else in the software is just so flawless - the speed, the scrolling, the response, the visual aspect - everything is flawless. But when all you want to do is hear maybe just 1 song from a CD track listing it get cluttered.

I have a remote control in this PC but MCwon't recognize it. It's the remote that came with my Hauppauge PVR150 card. It works with other media software, but MC16 wont recognize it. I may order one of the ones that JRiver recommends, but the touchscreen will always be the main way we use the system.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:04:52 pm »

jimmy,

right click is your friend.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 05:57:06 pm »

Right clicking may be useful if I used a mouse, but I use a touchscreen monitor. A button labled PLAY would solve a few extra steps and complaints from the mrs' and rest of the family.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:14:22 pm »

I have a remote control in this PC but MC won't recognize it. It's the remote that came with my Hauppauge PVR150 card. It works with other media software, but MC16 wont recognize it. I may order one of the ones that JRiver recommends, but the touchscreen will always be the main way we use the system.

What happens when you try to use it?  Does WMC step in?  MC has a setting under Theater View options that can disable WMC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 06:19:15 pm »

For other play options, try holding down your selection.  Or double tapping. 

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:46 pm »

Hi Jim. There is no response from MC when I press any button the remote control. I don't see any driver setting in the options menu either for this Hauppauge remote. I don't know difficult it would be for you to add Hauppauge drivers. I say this because if I were to use the cable and tv part of the center Hauppauge PVR cards are fairly an obvious choice. No big deal really. I'll probably just buy a USB remote like the one JRiver sells.

On the PLAY issue. Holding down my finger on a track does nothing, nor does double tapping it. I hate to beat a dead horse, but i really feel there should be a dedicated PLAY button along with the rest of the basic controls as you enter the CD track section. I could learn to use it and not be bothered, but my wife, kids, freinds will never get it and it will frustrate them as it does now. Please don't take this as a demand, but merely a suggestion. Every CD, DVD, and software player is this way because it's the most understood methos to play songs from your music.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »

Does the Hauppauge remote work with WMC?  If so, it should work in MC.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 07:20:47 pm »

No, it does not. Apparently a driver is needed. The model of my card is PVR150 if it helps.
www.jdsmarthome.com

pcstockton

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:57:38 pm »

Right clicking may be useful if I used a mouse, but I use a touchscreen monitor. A button labled PLAY would solve a few extra steps and complaints from the mrs' and rest of the family.

Jimmy

if you cant right click with a touchscreen computer I would be unhappy.  There isn't a way to multi-gesture a right click?  Surprised.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 11:14:46 pm »

if you cant right click with a touchscreen computer I would be pissed.  There isn't a way to multi-gesture a right click?  Surprised.

-Patrick

I guess we're all spoiled by the iPad, iPad, and Android with built in multi getsureing functions. I'm pretty sure JRiver didn't code in multi gesture support into MC16. But even still, multi gestureing, right clicking, finding options, double tapping - why? If the button was right there next to the STOP, FAST FORWARD, and REVERSE buttons - just like a normal player - then there would be no guess work. I can't see my wife ( my daughter.....maybe ), but not my wife trying to pinch, zoom, rotate, with her fingers when all she wants to do is just hear a song. MC is just fine in so many other areas, but it should'nt be harder to use on the simplest of areas that gets used most often. Simple is best. Push a button. What it lacks is a PLAY button. Oh well.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 01:13:47 am »

You can get your buttons if you choose another theme for theaterview.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 06:44:49 am »

Right answer.  Sorry I forgot to suggest that.  Obsidian Touchscreen.  Tools/Options/Theater View.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 06:50:37 am »

I am using Obsidian touchscreen for Theater view. That's the only skin that's touchscreen freindly.
www.jdsmarthome.com

jreigner

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 03:05:24 pm »

I use two ELO touscreens in my hallways to play music to zones in the garage/house. I tap the song name or album and it starts playing for me. If I hit add and nothing is playing at the time it starts playing. If something is currently playing,it adds it to the playing now queue. I am playing the files from USB drives across the network on another machine and it delays maybe a second. I first had an issue with setting it up where when I double tapped, it wasn't actually tapping in the same area, so it didn't register. Alignment of the touch area solved that.  A "play" button is available in theater view. Personally I hate a cluttered screen, so I remove the given commands and stick with what I need.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:08 pm »

jreigner, this is interesting that you tapping begins playback. This is what I am wanting to do on my system, but instead of playing back the selected track nothing happens. Is there a setting in the config that allows you to start playing when a track is tapped?

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

jreigner

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 12:27:09 pm »

I actually hooked a mouse to my comp to check this-I actually have to double click, which would still be a double tap , on the file to play it. I have not altered anything I the way of mouse responses in windows so I imagine this to be native. eLo does have a configuration utility for my screen to make two taps into one,maybe your monitor has this feature. Personally I found its too easy to bump an icon and have action start and I especially didn't like that those not familiar with the system could easily start something and not even know it.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 11:06:17 am »

Hmmm... I'll check my config settings again. In my system I have this one dedicated pc booting straight into MC. We use it just for audio playback of our music, and it's all controlled by the 19" touchscreen monitor. We don't have a keyboard or mouse connected to it - well, actually I do. I have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse that I keep in the drawer and pull out only when I have to edit tags, import music, etc. But 99% of the time no one even sees that. They just turn on the stereo, turn on the music pc and in a minute they are browsing MC for music ( even the windows start up and shut down screens have been modified by me to try to hide as much of windows as possible ). Of all the many front ends I've tried we are all likeing MC more and more every day. It's easy for everyone to use, has great sound, and with just a few minor tweaks I think it would be the best out there. It's the small things that can kill the whole experience. I'm coming from the Meedio system. Meedio is so great that you can customize ANY and ALL parts of the system. The ONLY thing that itt is lacking, that IMHO would put it as the best "audio only" front end would be that it has no touchscreen capability. This isin't a big thing since you can still browse by tapping on the down and up arrows. But again, it's the little things that count the most. I think my PLAY only button - for me anyway - became a sure neccessary thing yesterday when my niece came over to visit. She saw the touchscreen and began to browse for music. She was in awe at how MC looked and felt as she went browsing albums. When she selected Adele's 21 CD and touched it, the track listing came up. She then tapped on Rolling in the deep to hear it but instead nothing happened. She looked a little perplexed and tapped it again. Nothing happened. She then began to scroll thru the top 2 rolls for a way to play it. Well, she never found it. I had to step in and push PLAY ALL, then select MORE OPTIONS from the bottom row, then select PLAY from the drop down list. Her amazement turned from "Wow. a touchscreen music player" into "Oh, it's just a computer playing your music".  :(   Damn that PLAY button!

Anyway, I'll dig deeper into the MC config and see if I can tweak a few more things.

Jimmy

www.jdsmarthome.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up