INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC lock up playing ripped DVD's  (Read 7316 times)

FastKayak

• World Citizen
MC lock up playing ripped DVD's
« on: November 15, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »

The other day I ripped about 8 DVD's.  Some play just fine (about half) and the others lock up MC, either as they open the menu or if you attempt to make a selection from the menu, typically selecting DTS audio or going to the audio setup menu.  Issue occurs with either RO standard and RO HD.  I'm not sure if this is my setup, or specific to some DVD's or ??  I'm looking for suggestions for settings to check or tests to run?

system specs -
ASrock Vision 3d, Sandybridge i3, 4gb ram
Blu-ray / DVD reader
Cyberlink PowerDVD v10
DVDfab Blu-ray passkey
MC 17.033 (clean install on new PC)
Western Digital My Book Essential 3tb USB 3, model WDBACW0030HBK-NESN
HDMI to Denon 4310ci

Thanks - FastKayak / Larry

FastKayak

• World Citizen
Re: MC lock up playing ripped DVD's
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 11:57:21 am »

+1

.....I wasn't expected this thread to get a lot of attention but I did think someone would have a suggestion or two!!! 

Basic question, is it expected that MC will be able to process all DVD menu's or are there issues in this area?  For example, two of the failing rip's are Eagles:  Hell Freezes Over and Elton John: One Night Only.  These are somewhat older DVD's....no idea if that makes the menu systems problematically or not.

Is selecting DTS audio from the menu an area of concern?  This is the very first menu screen with the Eagles and no matter which audio choice I make MC locks.  (I have BITSTREAMING set to HDMI and just want to pass the audio stream to my receiver.  Works just fine for my APE files and for some of the rips (which are all non-DTS)). 

Anyway, I would really appreciate some ideas on whether I've stepped over the edge of what MC can do with DVD menus, OR whether I have some work to do with MC configuration.  As it stands now I have to go to task manager and kill MC.

Thanks in advance -

FastKayak  /  Larry

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:40:25 am »

Just for the record my two systems are doing the same thing. One is Sandybridge I7 Win 7/64 other is Pentium 4 Win Xp. I've been trying with versions 16 and 17 since Red October was first released.

I use DVD Fab 'Full Disc' and about 50% success. I've been messing with the idea of retiring my 400 disc Sony but the reliability is not is the ballpark as of yet. I've tried coping the discs directly to a folder but many are 'copy protected' so that is not an option.

I've spent many hours setting up MC for cool-as-hell video jukebox type features. I'm just not able to play my content...

Rick

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 10:43:48 am »

This may be fixed in build 17.0.46, which will be available next week.

5. Fixed: Importing some DVD's could cause JRWorker to hang.

JohnT

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 11:29:19 am »

Yes, I think Jim's right.  Try build 46 or greater next week and hopefully that will fix the problem.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

r_harms

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 12:03:58 pm »

I've also just tried using Media Center (Instead of DVD-Fab) to re-rip a couple DVD's I was having problems with and they all seemed to work fine.

Looking forward to .46, keep up the good work!

Rick

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 10:25:25 am »

What audio output are you using in Options > Audio?

What happens if you reduce the buffering (say WASAPI - Event Style with 100ms)?

If it still doesn't work, could you send a log to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:20:38 pm »

Now back to the original post -

I used MC to rip the DVD's.  I mention the other products on my system in case there could/is some chance of these products interfering with MC.  

Here is the sequence of events -

1) rip DVD with MC (all goes well)
2) in Theater view select the DVD and click watch
3) screen shows FBI warning or possibly the DVD cover art, displays * opening and a little bit later Windows reports MC unresponsive
4) use task manager to kill the MC process
5) navigate the file system to the DVD and right click on VIDEO_TS.IFO, select open with PowerDVD and DVD plays correctly (eg DVD was successfully ripped as I thought in step #1)

Audio output is/was WASAPI - event style and output buffering is/was at 100ms - I also tried 50ms and that didn't help.  So the log file is on its way to you (look for a subject line of FastKayak)

Thanks,  FastKayak / Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 10:13:10 am »

Thanks for the log.  Everything seems fine until we load the bookmark.

Could you try deleting the bookmark for this disc?  Just clear the 'Bookmark' field and then try playing again.

What happens then?

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 04:24:06 pm »

Matt, I've not found a way to clear the bookmark field !! Neither the usual F2 for edit or using tagging in the action window will clean out the bookmark.  By the way, is it normal for the bookmark to be a long text field 100-150 characters of random stuff? 

What I did do is attempt to play one of DVD's that doesn't have any thing in the bookmark field.  This is the Eagle concert DVD I mentioned in my original post.  It starts, displays the opening menu (pick audio stream) and then MC stops responding.  How about I send you the log of that and lets see if it shows something different than the first log.

FastKayak / Larry

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:00:15 pm »

Select the file, and go to the Tag > Action Window.  Select the Show All Tags from the pull down menu, and navigate to Bookmark.  Edit the bookmark there by clicking in the value area once, and select the empty value from the bottom of the pull down list.

There are other ways to clear too.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:13:56 pm »

I'm stumped, but still thinking.

Sending another log would be good, because I can at least compare them.

You might also try updating video drivers on the off chance they're to blame.  We're not hearing a lot of this report, so there's something special going on.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:31:32 pm »

Mr C., been there, done that.  It doesn't clear and there isn't a drop down.  For the few DVD's that don't have the 150 char stuff I can do what you suggest.  Tomorrow I will have a bit more time to devote to this.  I will probably delete a couple of the DVD's with the bookmark "issue" and then re-rip them. 

Matt, recall that I typically get to some menu, but never get past the menu.  Don't bookmarks have to do with placing you to where you left off in the concert/movie? I don't get that far.  But, like I said, let me toss a few out, and re-rip them.  Then there won't be anything in the bookmark field.

I will check the video drivers.  This is an almost new box so they should be fresh...I'll check. 

FastKayak / Larry

MrC

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:37:14 pm »

Mr C., been there, done that.  It doesn't clear and there isn't a drop down.  For the few DVD's that don't have the 150 char stuff I can do what you suggest.  Tomorrow I will have a bit more time to devote to this.  I will probably delete a couple of the DVD's with the bookmark "issue" and then re-rip them.

It's there.  Click once on the field value. It will show the long, crazy encoded bookmark.  Use the down arrow key, and it will select an empty entry.  Press Enter.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 04:01:26 pm »

MrC, you have improved my hand-eye coordination.  Thanks!!

Matt, logs are in the mail.  I sent two. I hope something starts to stick out. The logs are of two different DVD's, neither one with bookmarks.   

I did check my Nvidia driver.  It is v260.  Latest is v289.  However, I have the Nvidea M425 chip and the v289 drivers fails to detect the chip and tells me that I don't have any Nvidia hardware.  Perhaps I have to get updates via ASRock for my mother board?  I'll give that a look.

FastKayak / Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 04:37:35 pm »

Thanks for the logs.

They all show the same thing: we try to save the bookmark when a EC_DVD_CURRENT_TIME event arrives and it deadlocks.

I'll work up a custom build with more logging on Monday and we can go back and forth next week until we get it sorted.

Would you be able to try a major motion picture, just to see if these concert DVDs do something special that makes the DVD navigator lock when attempting to bookmark?

Thanks again.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 04:49:08 pm »

Sure, I can rip a real movie and I will pick something more recent.  Maybe a blu-ray too. 

FastKayak / Larry

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 07:36:08 pm »

Good news and not so good news!

First the good, ripped a blu-ray and it plays fantastic including the DTS master-hd sound track!

In the not so good, I ripped Harry Potter Deathly Hollows, part 2 DVD and it "loops".  Once started MC does not go unresponsive as before....but it never really plays the movie, in fact past the FBI screen I never see the menu at all.  Log is in the mail.

FastKayak / Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2011, 02:49:16 pm »

Thanks for the log.

The system is looping, throwing a DVD navigator warning (EC_DVD_WARNING).  I'm not familiar with this error, and Google searching isn't helping too much.

I wish I had a smart suggesting for you, but unfortunately I don't right now.  We'll keep brain storming and let you know if we figure anything out.

If anyone else sees a similar problem, please let us know.  Maybe we could find something in common.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 04:06:35 pm »

In case this is useful I came across this code via Google -

case EC_DVD_WARNING:
            switch (param1)
            {
                case DVD_WARNING_InvalidDVD1_0Disc:
                    DbgLog((LOG_ERROR, 1, TEXT("DVD Warning: Current disc is not v1.0 spec compliant"))) ;
                    break ;

case DVD_WARNING_FormatNotSupported:
                    DbgLog((LOG_ERROR, 1, TEXT("DVD Warning: The decoder does not support the new format."))) ;
                    break ;

case DVD_WARNING_IllegalNavCommand:
                    DbgLog((LOG_ERROR, 1, TEXT("DVD Warning: An illegal navigation command was encountered."))) ;
                    break ;

case DVD_WARNING_Open:
                    MessageBox(win,
                        TEXT("A file on the DVD disc could not be opened.  ")
                        TEXT("Playback may not continue.\0"),
                        TEXT("Warning"), MB_OK | MB_ICONINFORMATION) ;
                    break ;

case DVD_WARNING_Seek:
                    MessageBox(win,
                        TEXT("Could not move to a different part of a file on the DVD disc.  ")
                    break ;

case DVD_WARNING_Read:
                    MessageBox(win,
                        TEXT("Could not read part of a file on the DVD disc.  ")
                    break ;

default:
                    DbgLog((LOG_ERROR, 1, TEXT("DVD Warning: An unknown warning (%ld) was received."),
                  static_cast<ULONG>(param1))) ;
                    break ;
            }
            break ;

I will see if PowerDVD can play the rip when I'm home tonight.

Thanks,  FastKayak / Larry

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 11:38:54 am »

Matt, I built a brand new desktop PC and have now installed MC.  So I ripped the two DVD's that I have had problems with (Elton John and the Eagles).  They ripped cleanly and guess what, they play great.  So the issue is something to do with the configuration of my HTPC.  I'm going to make a series of changes on the HTPC and see if I can identify the culprit. 

FastKayak / Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:33 am »

Matt, I built a brand new desktop PC and have now installed MC.  So I ripped the two DVD's that I have had problems with (Elton John and the Eagles).  They ripped cleanly and guess what, they play great.  So the issue is something to do with the configuration of my HTPC.  I'm going to make a series of changes on the HTPC and see if I can identify the culprit. 

FastKayak / Larry

That's good to hear.

Let us know what you learn.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 10:37:27 am »

Matt, some good news and some bad news.

This weekend I took the extreme approach and did a clean install of Windows on my HTPC.  Before doing anything else (eg catching up on all the MS patches) I installed MC 17.050.  Imported the DVD's and attempted to play them.  Same results as before.  At this point I'm puzzled as what the hay, how much simpler can a system be.  ^%*&%^*()*(

So for the good news.  I moved a few DVD's from my external USB 3.0 drive to the C drive and guess what they play great.  I moved all the rest and played, stopped, bookmarked, jumped around, changed audio tracks....you get the idea.  Everything works.  Now for the bad news.  If I copy the DVD back to the Western Digital 3tb USB 3 drive they fail again.  Interestingly, that same drive has some ripped blu-rays and they play just fine.  Just for fun I copied the DVD's to a WD USB 2 drive and they plays just fine there.   (#$^^%%^*%   

Any ideas about MC being sensitive to a USB 3 device for DVD playback but not for Blu-Ray?  Does this info give you some ideas about building some debug code?

FastKayak / Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 10:51:01 am »

Any ideas about MC being sensitive to a USB 3 device for DVD playback but not for Blu-Ray?  Does this info give you some ideas about building some debug code?

Good detective work.

With DVD, all file reading is done by the Microsoft DVD Navigator.  We control the decoders and rendering, but since the actual file I/O is a black box, I can't say what might be happening.

Perhaps they make SCSI commands or open directories or something in a way that the driver or firmware of the drive isn't handling well?

It's certainly a weird one.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 10:52:45 am »

On my AsRock board I had to download and install their AsRock drivers/software to make USB 3 work. USB 2 didn't need any special drivers. Could this be your problem?

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 11:20:32 am »

Country Bumpkin -

I have all their drivers installed from the disk that came with the system.  I've checked their web sites for updates....they are organized by release/version and I've yet to figure out what release/version is already installed so I'm not certain if their's are newer or not.  That said, the drives are running in the right USB 2 and USB 3 mode. 

Matt -

Any chance MS updated their DVD code recently?  I guess another test would be to plug the USB 3 drive into a USB 2 port and see if that makes a difference.  Otherwise I might have a nice new drive out on Craigslist.  :'(

Thanks, FastKayak / Larry

MrC

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 11:36:57 am »

Which exact model of drive do you have?  Would be worth updating your Thread #1 w/those specs too, btw.

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »

Mr C -

I'll do that....back then I assumed it was user error on my part in not understanding the video configuration of MC.

Anyway, it is a Western Digital My Book Essential 3tb, model WDBACW0030HBK-NESN   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136749&Tpk=WDBACW0030HBK

What I've done since my last post is update the firmware on this bad boy.  That didn't help.  I'll do some more testing later. 

Thanks,  FastKayak / Larry

FastKayak

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »

Okay, we are going to put this little exercise in trouble shooting to bed.  Who knew a USB 3 drive by a major drive manufacture could send MS and MC into a hot inferno of H.ll

I will shuffle my USB drives around, use the USB 3 drive for Blu-rays and not for DVD's.  Pull some older 2tb USB drives off my desktop and use them for ripped DVD's.  They are USB 2 and seem to work just fine for DVD's.  End result: I will be ripping my DVD and Blu-ray collection into MC.  Another step forward from the days when I ripped all my CD's.  I know the world is headed to streaming via Netflix and the like.  I still like to own the file/media.  Kinda olde fashion apparently.  (No, I'm not above watching a movie on my iPAD but for most of them I want to be in control of the media.  Just like I don't have a problem with listening to my iPOD....but my media and via MC!)

Thank you Matt for sticking with this goofy little adventure in locating the under lying issue.  And MrC for jumping in once or twice with some advice.

FastKayak / Larry   8)

rjm

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 10:53:00 pm »

Just a reminder that Vista will not play DVDs from a USB drive. XP does.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2011, 04:42:40 am »

If you plug your USB 3 drive into a USB 2 slot on the other machine does that work ok?

ocikalo

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 09:39:04 am »

very interesting.....

I have the identical usb 3.0 Western Digital drive connected to:

ASUS Eee Box EB1501P-B016E Nettop Intel Atom D525(1.80GHz)
      2GB DDR3 320GB HDD 
      Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

About 100 movies all ripped using dvdfab thru the years and looking for a nicer solution than VLC Media Player (which works fine with this usb 3.0 drive) for my TV. I read many good reviews that MC supports a lot of different formats....

I have updated the drivers for the drive and it still stops playing. It stops or/crashes within 15 seconds...

All movies imported into my library from my c:\drive work fine.

I am a complete novice on MC Player. I have MC 17.0.82

Thanks
Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up