INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfectly Smooth Bluray Playback  (Read 5486 times)

pacemaker1000

• Recent member
Perfectly Smooth Bluray Playback
« on: November 16, 2011, 04:08:08 pm »

Anybody achieved this?

i have been trying every means possible over the past 2 weeks to get my HTPC to do what any off the shelf bluray player can manage, glitch free playback of bluray discs and FAILED!

I am here because MC is the closest i have got but even with videoclock on and a near as dammit refresh rate of 23.977 i STILL get glitches every 2-3 minutes

I know its a video/audio clock problem but is it possible to achieve this goal? and more importantly has anyone done it??

My system is an AMD Dual core 2.7 with an ATI 4650 card. Short of changing my hardware i have hit a brick wall!

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Perfectly Smooth Bluray Playback
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 04:28:33 pm »

I can run an entire film without a dropped or repeated frame.  Currently I use RO HQ, Video Clock ON, Refresh rate changing is ON, and have changed madVR to run in Exclusive Mode.  This is the best (current) combo to prevent glitches for MC's side of the fence.  You next step is to keep madVR 's OSD on the screen and see what the queues are doing when you have the glitch ever 2-3 mins.  You may like to try other madVR settings, two I use are increasing the # of video frames from 4 to 8, and I check "present several frames in advance" but YMMV as I don't have an ATI card.  There are also some more madVR changes comming that looks promising.

The only difference is that I also have HW Accel Checked (so as to use LAVCUVID) but I'd suggest you don't enable this on your ATI Card.
JRiver CEO Elect

pacemaker1000

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 04:51:52 pm »

Ineresting
unfortunately i cant run madvr when playing bluray as i dont have the horsepower ( 2.7 dual core) so cant see the glitches. I get perfect playback of lower res stuff with madvr running though

was thinking of getting an nvidia gt430. will this enable my system to run madvr as it should allow HWA ?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 05:03:27 pm »

If you go nvidia you want a DDR5 based card in either (at least) a 450 (if you can still get them) or a 550Ti.  There was some cooperative development between JR and madshi on getting closer integration between madVR and Videoclock so it works especially well + you get LAVCUVID which allows you a high quality GPU offload and the ability to still run madVR (madVR likes a modern GPU with decend # of shaders with fast mem access more than CPU power).
JRiver CEO Elect

pacemaker1000

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:10:17 pm »

thanks but i want to stay silent which means nvidia 430 or ATI 6570

so the 430 wont do it?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 05:16:31 pm »

I don't know, is there a DDR5 Version?  FYI, I know what you mean on keeping things quiet on the HTPC (I use a shuttle SFF), my first move to nvidia GPU was to the Palit GTS450 Low Profile card and under load it made a terrible noise.  I swapped it out for the Gigabyte GTX 550Ti and I don't hear a thing.
JRiver CEO Elect

audunth

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 05:51:06 pm »

I also had problems with smooth playback when I got my new 1080p projector. I thought it was strange, since both 720p and 1080p files stuttered, but played fine on my 1360x768 LCD tv. I thought it was because I couldn't get the ATI card to output 23.976, only 24 Hz. Using MadVR it was totally unwatchable EVR stuttered about once every half minute or so.

Anyway, enabling decoding and exclusive mode in MadVR did the trick for me. RO HQ selected in MC. Now I can watch a whole movie without any stuttering, using a Core2Duo E6300 running at 2.66 GHz (OC'd from 1.86). Had a ATI HD4550 card, now  I have a HD6850, but no difference between the cards in my case. Still stutters with my previous settings.

Btw I don't use Videoclock or Reclock, and have HW deconding on. The HW decoding setting makes no difference when using MadVR with ATI/AMD. Does not allow MadVR to change refresh, using 24 Hz setting in Catalyst Control Panel.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 06:09:21 pm »

so the 430 wont do it?
It's not clear what the answer is.  You could read what renethx has to say on AVSForum.  Here's one of his threads:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972&page=361

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:24:14 am »

I am playing bluerays smoothly on hardware similar to yours, core duo 2.5Mhz and a 4650 graphics card.
I did all what jmone says in post 1 with specific care on having MadVR starting in exclusive mode and the most important, the automatic display changer. I did a manual selection for the 24p setting where I chose a resolution that was natively supported in my tv with a refresrate of 24.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:08:13 am »

FYI - with the latest version of madVR and Videoclock on I see in the madVR OSD that the sync of the two is so good that the anticipated dropped/repeated frame stat runs into the many hours or even days.  ;D  You don't even need to try to tweak the refresh rate to get close (eg I have a custom res in nvidia set to around 24hz) and it all works as advertised.  Well done to madshi and the JR devs on this.
JRiver CEO Elect

CountryBumkin

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:28 am »

so the 430 wont do it?

Here's the card you want http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187129
nVidia GTS440 (DDR5) fanless

I have the model with the fan (can't hear it 2ft away from case) and it works perfectly with RO+HQ.

Good luck

pacemaker1000

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:02 am »

Thanks guys and some interesting ideas especially from those getting madvr with ati 4xxx cards

couple of queries though:

i thought any form of hardware acceleration (HWA)was imposible when using MadVR? HWA only works with EVR on ati thats why you need a powerful cpu?
when you say 'enabling decoding' on your ati card how/what does this do?

also how do you add the latest madvr to MC?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 05:23:49 am »

Note that fanless cards require a good case ventilation. You will have a hard time building a completely fanless HTPC with a powerful card like that.
I would go for a card which has a fan, but is proven to be silent at normal operations. I've had good experience with the Gigabyte cards with their "Windforce" cooler design.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 07:44:13 am »

I have an overclocked GT430 and it behaves quite well in my system. I set up a custom resolution for 23p and was getting great results: 23.9758x to 23.9761x with very little drift (acording to MadVR). I don't see any frame drops with 50i/60i unless I go overboard with the settings. Sometimes it does hit >90% gpu activity, so you really are on the edge with this card. For some 'killer samples' you may need to dial the settings down to bicubic/near neighbour. I used to see frame drops with live tv, but more recent builds have sorted this (not sure if updates to MC/LAV/MadVR were responsible sine I updated all 3 at once!)

I'm happy to try any 'killa' samples with this card if anyone would provide a linky!

Even though my framerate for 23p is near as dammit and stable (and I can bitstream without issue therefore), I still see the 23p judder every 32s because the designers of my amp (the idiots!) decided that 23p didn't exist and reclock the video output with its (very good) internal video processor to 24.000. So my judder is produced by the amp, not HTPC!

I have 3 options (effectively)

1) Play at 23p and bitstream the audio - result : Amp generated judder and twinkly lights on the amp for bitstream
2) Play at 24p and use VideoClock and output reclocked PCM audio - result : Smooth video and no twinkly light
3) Purchase newly released 'upgrade board' for almost $1000 which leaves the video alone - result : smooth video *and* twinkly light. (Ivy B. Ridge would divorce me over this one so not really an option!)

If my amp wasn't so bloody minded I would probably go with option 1 since it is so stable and close to 23.976 that I wouldn't get any audio dropouts from bitstreaming. However I go with option 2 as I can't tell the difference with the audio anyway!

Anyway, my message is: the GT430 is capable enough for a HTPC (and definitely for bluray 23p) but you must accept that you're living on the edge and may exceed the capability with *some* 'killa' 50i/60i samples. 

What I would say though is, if you are designing a HTPC from scratch you will have a much better choice of video card if you go for a full height case. I felt really restricted with my low profile case (both in height and card length). Even jmone's GTS450 low profile turbine wouldn't fit in my case! Next time I will go for a nice full height case.

SBR

pacemaker1000

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:04:53 am »

i am still confused as to the benefit or not of an nvidia card with madvr. it looks like some are still running MadVr with ati in HD. if so i would like to know exactly how

as said madvr does not use dxva and i dont know what it does use when cuvid is implemeted. is it just better PQ or is it using part of the hardware to ease cpu loading. if so then i would consider an nvidia but my experience is far better 23.976 support with ati

i can get perfectly smooth video with no drops at all, bitstreaming without reclock using madvr with everything but bluray.
come to think of it even with madvr i dont remember the cpu loaing being flat out  ?

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 01:20:04 pm »

My hardware: Pentium dual core 2.50GHz and ATI Radeon HD 4500 series. Not that impressing I think.
I am using Catalyst 11.2 because newer versions scaled the picture smaller and I couldn't get settings to stick. Nothing special in here other than adding screen resolutions from my TV that seemed missing from the autodetect.

MC is using 'Advanced - Red October HQ with additional filters', use hardware acceleration, use videoclock
In the Display Settings I have enabled it and configured FILM (24 fps): 1920x1080x32x24

The Blueray is ripped with MakeMKV and nothing fancy here.

I made sure that MadVR starts in 'Exclusive mode' and I have checked the 'FPS' tag that it is '24' and that's it.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 02:00:28 pm »

i am still confused as to the benefit or not of an nvidia card with madvr. it looks like some are still running MadVr with ati in HD. if so i would like to know exactly how

as said madvr does not use dxva and i dont know what it does use when cuvid is implemeted. is it just better PQ or is it using part of the hardware to ease cpu loading. if so then i would consider an nvidia but my experience is far better 23.976 support with ati

i can get perfectly smooth video with no drops at all, bitstreaming without reclock using madvr with everything but bluray.
come to think of it even with madvr i dont remember the cpu loaing being flat out  ?

As of a few days ago, madVR does support DXVA2. I am unsure if we will see any changes in Red October to reflect this feature.

As to your second question, people generally use nVidia simply because of CUVID, which was always interoperable with madVR. Although CUVID and DXVA are both hardware acceleration methods, the similarity ends there. Nothing is different in madVR versus hardware accelerated and non-hardware accelerated video, but CUVID allows very HQ deinterlacing and frame doubling w/o much CPU usage.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 02:22:37 pm »

The benefit of nvidia was to get CUVID (HW Based decoding and Adaptive Deinterlacing) that worked with madVR.  With the addition of DXVA HW Deinterlacing similar processing will now be available for other GPU (both Intel and ATI).  JR is watching these changes (and others in the direct show space) with an eye on what bits to take advantage on in RO when it settles down.  So if you like you ATI/AMD card then you may want to wait for a bit. 
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up