INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC keeps looping my songs  (Read 2216 times)

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
MC keeps looping my songs
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:20:29 am »

SO I made the jump to MC17 from MC16. Very painless and smooth upgrade - kudos. My whole library and all associated settings was transferred over without incident. I only use MC17 for music playback only and exclusively in Theater View because I am controlling MC with a 21" touch panel monitor. I have already come across 2 bugs, and it seems to be a carry over from MC16 (or just part of the design?). First is the infamous missing PLAY button on the CD track listing screen. I know, it's buried under 2 more clicks in the PLAY OPTIONS group. Seems like too many clicks just to play your music, and totally baffles the wife and freinds when they try to play back music from my player. Can we fix this? And second glitch: if I want to play 1 song, or any number of songs really, when I select ALL, or even select just PLAY to hear that 1 song, when the song is over it should just stop playing, except it doesn't. It will begin playing again, and again, etc. It's as if MC has a contant REPEAT turned on. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a REPEAT setting in the config that I've over looked? Sometimes all you want to hear is just 1 song, or just the selected songs.

Also, how do I get to the Play Doctor feature in Theater View> This sounds like a great idea having MC play same genre types. Did I over look a setting?

Thanks, Jimmy

BTW, unlike MC16, MC17 displays complete weather info and all news feeds. This is awesome and very welcome. So far *almost* all is working as it should - perfect.
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC keeps looping my songs
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 08:26:44 am »

SO I made the jump to MC17 from MC16. Very painless and smooth upgrade - kudos. My whole library and all associated settings was transferred over without incident. I only use MC17 for music playback only and exclusively in Theater View because I am controlling MC with a 21" touch panel monitor. I have already come across 2 bugs, and it seems to be a carry over from MC16 (or just part of the design?). First is the infamous missing PLAY button on the CD track listing screen. I know, it's buried under 2 more clicks in the PLAY OPTIONS group. Seems like too many clicks just to play your music, and totally baffles the wife and freinds when they try to play back music from my player. Can we fix this? And second glitch: if I want to play 1 song, or any number of songs really, when I select ALL, or even select just PLAY to hear that 1 song, when the song is over it should just stop playing, except it doesn't. It will begin playing again, and again, etc. It's as if MC has a contant REPEAT turned on. Am I doing something wrong here? Is there a REPEAT setting in the config that I've over looked? Sometimes all you want to hear is just 1 song, or just the selected songs.

Also, how do I get to the Play Doctor feature in Theater View> This sounds like a great idea having MC play same genre types. Did I over look a setting?

Thanks, Jimmy

In Standard View, Player > Repeat should allow you to turn off the looping. There is also a repeat icon near the standard search field that will cycle through the repeat options. I can't find a way to control it in Theater View.

Play Doctor in Theater View (and Gizmo) would be great.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 08:36:37 am »

SO PLay Doctor is NOT available in Theater View?!?  ? Seems to be the red-headed stepchild.  :(
www.jdsmarthome.com

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:19 am »

SO PLay Doctor is NOT available in Theater View?!?  ? Seems to be the red-headed stepchild.  :(

It's available under More Play Options when you play a song or playlist. It just doesn't have a dedicated screen if you want to start it without a seed.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 09:12:54 am »

Ok, I found it. What a hassle to look for it and to get to. I looked and went thru many screens just to find it. It's these little things that really need to be ironed out to really pump up the user interface. I know many people don't use Theater View, but as a user that uses Theater View exclusively as a music only player these things really kill it for me and the family. No way would anyone have been able to find Play Doctor buried so deep. I can...now. But this music PC is our main music player in our home. Everyone uses it. Right now everyone is struggling with it because of these very small issues. Sure, I can tell them that if they want to hear that new song from Lady GaGa they have to press this button, then toggle over to that button, then scroll down to hit this button, then it will play, but it loops and to make sure to press the STOP button before it finishes or it will play again......  :'(

Can we fix this?

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

gappie

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:15:55 am »

but you could add it via a mcc command in thv. add>external programm and leave the mc17, in the parameters put /mcc 10047,0. and disable hide etc.

it will play unseeded Doctor.

:)
gab

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:59:31 am »

Cool  ;D  I'll give that a try.

Thanks, Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 10:25:30 am »

Under the Player menu in Standard View, choose Repeat and set it to off.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:14:53 pm »

Thank you Jim. I selected to not repeat in the menu and all is good. Now if we could just handle that play button   ;)

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:12:39 pm »

Now if we could just handle that play button

In this case too, you may find the current design preferable to how you're assuming things should work. For many good reasons, MC plays things via the Playing Now playlist. This allows files to be added to PN in a multitude of different ways. Then playback is controlled by using the PN list as a queue. In this context, "Play" is last thing most of us would want to do with one file selected. Doing so will replace the current contents of PN with that one file, play it, then stop. It's far more likely you would want to "Play All" —starting at the selected track. Or add the selected track to PN in a one of a number of different ways (per More play options...). "Play All" can also be used at any point to play whatever is selected—album, artist, genre or the entire library. Once invoking playback in some fashion, you're placed in Playing Now. There, using the List view, you can make further changes to how the items currently in PN are played back. There, you'll have play commands that apply to the selected file only and do not affect the contents of the list.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 04:12:33 pm »

Huh? That was my daughters response when she read this. I understand what you said but in our home we've never used playlists, and really don't see using them for a while. I can tell you that my whole family, and every single freind that we've shown the system to are all in agreeance - we miss a play button. In all my frontends that I've used and every cd player there has always been that play button to smile to us, and greet us, and give us that warm fuzzy feeling inside. We miss that. Having to learn a new way to play a song and having to teach every person who wants to listen to a song how to find the play button just seems counter intuitive. Really, how hard can it be to just add - even as an option - a play button? Is there a way to edit the screen that would allow us to add or remove buttons? This way everyone will be right about how they use the system.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 06:02:53 pm »

In all my frontends that I've used and every cd player there has always been that play button to smile to us, and greet us, and give us that warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Sorry, it's not a CD player any more than it's a toaster. It's a media player. CD players are obsolete, and most user's don't care about them, how they worked or the shiny discs they played. But what's all the fuss about? I don't remember...Is there really a button on a CD player for playing only one track, then stopping? Why can't you 'Play All'? It seems to me that's what a CD player or any other sensible player would do anyway—play the selected track, then continue playing from there.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:30:23 pm »

Rick, I really don't mean to beat a dead horse. I've been using PC's to play back mp3's before people even knew what mp3 was  ;D . I understand the whole concept of playlists and such. But.....this is my family's music only system, and such it gets used by everyone, and everyone knows the concept of wanting to hear an occassional song. Heck, I personally ALWAYS just like tapping on the PLAY button when I enter a CD library. It's convenient. I've used many media front ends - WMC, WM7, Meedio, MeediOS, XBOx, Media Monkey, iTunes, etc. They all share sometiing in common - that fantasical PLAY button. Why did JRiver decide to exclude this cool guy from the club? Everyone else loves him to be in there club. I vote we get him into our club too. Anyway, I don't like explaining to everyone how to use my system. I'd rather have them already know how to use the basics so that they can just use it - even in the basic function as to play back 1 song. I don't really think I'm alone here. In theater View having the basic functions of PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, FAST FORWARD, and REWIND is a good idea.

Jimmy
www.jdsmarthome.com

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 07:55:21 pm »

The horse was dead before you got here. My question wasn't rhetorical. Why can't you use 'Play All'? How is it different from the 'Play' you're expecting?

In theater View having the basic functions of PLAY, STOP, PAUSE, FAST FORWARD, and REWIND is a good idea.

These commands, more or less, already exist where they belong—in Playing Now.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:37:46 pm »

How different is it than the way it's used now? Easy - It's buried in 2 other screens, that's how. My wife, kids, and freinds can't find it. If it was with the STOP, etc buttons then we would'nt be discussing this. Let's just agree to disagree. You like the button where it's at. I like the button with the other function buttons.
www.jdsmarthome.com

rick.ca

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 09:14:20 pm »

How different is it than the way it's used now? Easy - It's buried in 2 other screens, that's how.

Then you're dealing with a freak situation, not a bug or design issue. On every level of every library view when using the Obsidian Touchscreen skin, 'PlayAll' should appear to the immediate right of the current view indicator on the top roller. There isn't a more prominent or accessible place for it.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 09:42:58 pm »

Rick, no one said it was a bug. It's part of the code - by design. But I'm not talking about the PLAY ALL button. I've been talking about the lack of a PLAY button that would allow for single selection of an individual song for playback - without having to push MORE OPTIONS and then scroll down and then select PLAY - just to hear 1 song from the CD's track listing that I was in 3 screens ago. PLAY ALL plays back the whole album - and it's not very intuitive either because when you select PLAY ALL then another row of options pops up forcing you to push PLAY ALL again (!) before the music actuall starts. Don't you just sometimes want to hear 1 song from a CD? Even if you just imported it? Do you really want to build a playlist for a whole CD that maybe you haven't heard completely thru or just haven't had time to do it? I know my whole family, including myself, like to listen to CD's - sometimes just flipping through CD after CD just hearing singles. I don't think I'm the oddball for doing it this way, but I also am just offering my user experience to the board. Maybe others miss the PLAY button, maybe they don't. Maybe JRiver will include it in the next update? Maybe they won't. After all MC17 is still beta and is going thru upgrades as we speak.
www.jdsmarthome.com

rick.ca

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 10:45:32 pm »

Sigh. The program does exactly what you want it to do, in a manner more effective and intuitive that you can imagine. Good luck in figuring it out.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 12:32:46 am »

If using Obsidian Touchscreen I have a PLAY button if I select a single song from an Album....
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up