INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio CD ripping...  (Read 4051 times)

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
Audio CD ripping...
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:01 am »

I have used Exact Audio Copy for many years, but I do not know how to make ripped .wav-files to show correctly tagged at MC... They just go "unknown" album. Then I tried MC internal cd-ripping, and thay show up under music with a complete info and album cover...
So, I am currently happy with MCīs internal ripping (uncompressed .wav), but I need to know if EAC is still the best solution for ripping... I got many old cds and some are little scracthed... EAC has (or had...) the best error recovery, so is MC at the same quality or even better than EAC?
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio CD ripping...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:29:29 am »

The short answer: MC, EAC and dBpoweramp produce the same audio content in secure mode.

I have written posts comparing results using MC, EAC and dBpoweramp on this forum and others. Here is a link to one such report:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36791.msg250991;topicseen#msg250991

You can search for others.

MC can populate tag fields from file names.  This might help you get tags for your WAV files.

Bill

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:06:14 pm »

There's only one thing missing, that would be nice:  Encoding validation.

I recently had ripped some CDs and found there was a FLAC error which wasn't caught by MC (the Secure rip, no errors confirmation was the only status reported).  While the rip was secure, and the bits were read accurately, the FLAC file had a bit error that caused an audible click.  Testing the FLAC file with flac.exe verified that indeed the FLAC was corrupt.

I ran flac.exe in test mode on all my FLACs and found one more that had an error; it too was produced by MC.

It would be nice, for the file formats that allow such, to enable a validation phase to be run on the encoded file.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 02:57:39 pm »

It would be nice, for the file formats that allow such, to enable a validation phase to be run on the encoded file.

Agreed!

VP

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:20:34 am »

The short answer: MC, EAC and dBpoweramp produce the same audio content in secure mode.

I have written posts comparing results using MC, EAC and dBpoweramp on this forum and others. Here is a link to one such report:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=36791.msg250991;topicseen#msg250991

You can search for others.

MC can populate tag fields from file names.  This might help you get tags for your WAV files.

Bill

OK thanks :) Then I rip my remaining cds with MC...

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 08:09:12 am »

I don't use MC for riping cds - with all due respect to what is without a doubt a very thought through and secure ripping engine, MC still lacks AccurateRip verification and post-encoding verification (both of which are features that can be found in dBpoweramp.) Surely there must be other people longing for these features?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 08:20:18 am »

We don't believe AccurateRip provides anything useful.  It largely solves a non-existant problem.

Verification is reasonable, but not normally needed.  Our secure rip provides a perfect rip.  After that, it's up to the encoder.  APE has its own built in checking.

vagskal

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 03:06:49 am »

We don't believe AccurateRip provides anything useful.  It largely solves a non-existant problem.

In dBpoweramp the secure rip is much faster if the CD is already in the AccurateRip database. Impatient as I am, I find the speed increase useful.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 04:52:47 am »

Would it be possible to add the FLAC test files option to the tools menu so we could check the integrity of FLAC files without having to use FLAC tester manually outside of MC.

John

ksvane

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 06:41:22 am »

In dBpoweramp the secure rip is much faster if the CD is already in the AccurateRip database. Impatient as I am, I find the speed increase useful.

Exactly. In dBpoweramp you can rip in burst mode instead of the slower secure mode because the AccurateRip database will tell you if the tracks are inconsistent with the database. If you rip in burst (normal) mode in MC all you can do is hope that the process was flawless.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 06:53:54 am »

That sounds like its then not reading it securely.  In any case, we're not going down that path.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 07:10:52 am »

That sounds like its then not reading it securely.  In any case, we're not going down that path.
That is right... Speed isnīt as important as quality...

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 12:13:23 pm »

That is right... Speed isnīt as important as quality...

You're missing the point.  First, the disc is read in burst mode.  IF the file's checksums match those already reported by others, there is no reason to read the disc in secure mode, since the data was accurately ripped.  If not, then the disc is read in secure mode. This takes advantage of, and optimizes around, the fact that most rips are just fine.  Only some need to be re-read in secure mode to obtain accurate data.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

vagskal

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 04:02:50 pm »

You're missing the point.  First, the disc is read in burst mode.  IF the file's checksums match those already reported by others, there is no reason to read the disc in secure mode, since the data was accurately ripped.  If not, then the disc is read in secure mode. This takes advantage of, and optimizes around, the fact that most rips are just fine.  Only some need to be re-read in secure mode to obtain accurate data.

Hear, hear. But I understand that nevertheless JRiver is not going to take advantage of the free AccurateRip database. Since I will get basic AMG data by using dBpoweramp for ripping (and album gain values as well) i will stick to that ripping software any way.

jherbert

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 01:24:52 am »

Is there an easy way to integrate dbpoweramp with mC17? I am using both for years now and would love to see ripping with dbpa from within MC17. Maybe a call that replaces MC17 rip with dbpa?

rick.ca

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 02:01:34 am »

Is there an easy way to integrate dbpoweramp with mC17? I am using both for years now and would love to see ripping with dbpa from within MC17. Maybe a call that replaces MC17 rip with dbpa?

I don't understand. If dbpa rips to a folder auto-imported by MC, what is there to integrate?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 09:55:25 am »

Hear, hear. But I understand that nevertheless JRiver is not going to take advantage of the free AccurateRip database. Since I will get basic AMG data by using dBpoweramp for ripping (and album gain values as well) i will stick to that ripping software any way.

+1

I would strongly consider using MC for ripping - but since it always insists on adding the ripped files (where ever they might have been ripped to) DIRECTLY into the MC database (which I really, really dislike) there no possibility of me using it - no matter how good it may be.

Now - if there were an future option (hint hint)...to use MC's ripping capabilities WITHOUT adding files to the db (just be a ripper)...I would be very interested....

VP

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 11:10:28 am »

Now - if there were an future option (hint hint)...to use MC's ripping capabilities WITHOUT adding files to the db (just be a ripper)...I would be very interested....

I set up an additional library named new_rips and use that when I rip CDs.  The files from ripping are added to that library rather than to my permanent library. (I set MC to store the files in a temporary location.)

I prefer to get things cleaned up and tagged as I want them before I move the files into their permanent location and import them into my permanent library.  I prefer to avoid messes rather than to clean up an occasional mess.

You might be able to use a similar work flow for CDs whose files you don't want to add to my library.

Bill

Vocalpoint

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 01:08:10 pm »

I set up an additional library named new_rips and use that when I rip CDs.  The files from ripping are added to that library rather than to my permanent library. (I set MC to store the files in a temporary location.)

Then I would have to switch libraries and clean them etc etc...again more work than I want to do. :)

I prefer to get things cleaned up and tagged as I want them before I move the files into their permanent location and import them into my permanent library.  I prefer to avoid messes rather than to clean up an occasional mess.

As do I. If MC had a checkbox in the Rip area that said - Do Not Add Ripped Files To Active Library - then I would be golden and could get rid of dbPowerAmp altogether.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up