INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to sync JRiver on 2 different computer?  (Read 6203 times)

jintian

How to sync JRiver on 2 different computer?
« on: November 22, 2011, 12:10:38 pm »

Hello,
I use 2 PC. one to organize, update , create playlist.... and a other (a laptop) to play music.
Is it possible to transfer playlist, configuration.... even the entire library from a computer to a other. I try many ways but nones works: clones, save and even export import playlist doesn't work: when a import the playlist on the second computeur he show me a empty playlist. if you know a simple way to do it by files not online.....
thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to sync JRiver on 2 different computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:40:36 pm »

You could try backup and restore.  The file locations will need to be the same.

jintian

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 01:29:41 pm »

Hi Jimh,
thanks for your quick reply. i've tried backup and restore but it show me a error message that the version of the library i'm using is newer than the one i try to load.

"The file locations will need to be the same."  you mean the music files should be a the same directory (ex: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Mes documents\Ma musique)? what about the content, if i have more mp3 files on computer than the other?

illern

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 03:50:20 pm »

Hello jintian!

Here is how I use it with 2 computers at home.
I share my library between them.
Remember to back up the library before you try this.

PC1
This is my organize computer as you say.
I have my MP3 on this one on, letīs say D:\MP3

PC2
This is my Media center in the living room where I watch my movies.

Server
This is optional and you could use PC1 for this but PC1 needs to be on if you want to use PC2.
Here I have my Library files and all the other media as movies.

Now to the tricky part.
All path’s in the library needs to be the same on both PC1 and 2 to work.

1.   On PC1 share folder D:\MP3
2.   On Server (or PC1) share the folder where you have put your library folder.
Also share the media folder where I have my movies.
3.   Now you need to make sure you get all the shares to the same pathīs in both machines.
Map folder on PC1 to PC1 MP3 share to for example U:
(Yes you need to map the folder on the PC where it already is to get the same pathīs everywhere)
4.   Map folder on PC2 to PC1 MP3 share to the same letter U:
5.   Map folder on PC1 and PC2 to the library share to V: if itīs in a different share then your previous share of MP3:s
6.   Map folder on PC1 and PC2 to all other folders you just created like the media share.
7.   Now you have all folders to the same drive letters and pathīs
Now you point Media center on PC1 to the library and add it.
If itīs an existing library you need to fix all the old pathīs to the new ones.
Canīt remember at this time how I did that easily.
8.   When the library is fixed with correct pathīs to all files you can add it to media center on PC2
And now the same library is used on PC2. All changes will be on both PC:s since the use the same library files.
If you start both media centers the second will only get read access.

Now only remember to import from the mapped drives instead of the real drive path on PC1 or you will not be able to access those files from PC2.

Hope this helps.
If you need some clarification just ask and I will try to describe more.

/illern

Added a picture of it all.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 04:53:16 pm »

I use a portable install on my main computer. When i want to have an exact copy on my laptop, i just copy the portable install folder over to it and re-license it.

Because i don't have internet, I also do this when i update MC. I update the laptop version then play a few videos to get the RO updates then copy it back to my main pc.

I don't do this very often due to the limited number of times you can re-activate MC.

I don't use a USB key because my library is huge and it makes things run slow. I suppose i should get a fast external drive to run MC off of.

struct

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 05:08:20 pm »

you can avoid the mapping by using UNC paths (\\ComputerName\SharedFolder\Resource).

if you have already imported and have your library set as d:\movies\etc...  you can select all files and do a rename/replace of d:\ with \\mymediaserver\

With the autoimport option set to "protect network files" you don't need every source for documents on for library to accidently remove files, but you obviously won't be able to play the files.

craig

jintian

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 05:21:13 am »

Hello,
thanks for your replies. I think none of the solution can help me. i would expected that jriver works with "relative files path" (i not sure how to say in English ) for data base.
Cyril

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 05:35:38 pm »

To use the scheme everyone is referring to above, that is, using the library export/import function, you do need to pick either the same drive letter mapping configuration for all of the PCs, or use the same UNC path names on all PCs.  It does work.  I do this with three MC installations on three different PCs, all looking at my media files saved on a 4th PC running as a server.  I generate the library on my main PC, export it to an easy to find location, then go to my other PCs and import it, it works well and isn't much trouble at all.

You can skip one step above IF:
The Library files on your main PC (PC 1) are on anything but drive C:
And your Laptop (PC 2) has ONLY a drive C:
You can map the media file location shared on X:/... in PC 1 to the same drive letter (X:/...) on PC 2.

Now, export the library from MC on PC 1 and import it into MC on PC 2.

Two things about this;
1) You should be running the same version of MC on both PCs.
2) You will have to do the export/import routine every time you add media to the library.

Another approach that is a bit easier and works in most cases is to run MC Library Server on PC 1, then tell PC 2 to use the shared library being served on PC 1.  The only reason I don't do this is to keep my server as free of extra jobs as possible, it also runs an 8 channel TV recording system.

pcstockton

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 09:44:05 pm »

I simply enabled sharing on both of my home computers then loaded the library from PC1 to PC2.  All of the playlists are available.  It is easy and took like 30 seconds to set-up.  am I missing something in the OP's post?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 09:51:56 pm »

I simply enabled sharing on both of my home computers then loaded the library from PC1 to PC2.  All of the playlists are available.  It is easy and took like 30 seconds to set-up.  am I missing something in the OP's post?

-Patrick

I didn't know about sharing (haven't found it yet).  Then again, we may be talking about the same thing.  How do your PCs access the media files?

Library server lets all of it happen automatically, all the PCs look at one Library, typically kept on the PC storing/serving the media files.  There are no Libraries to sync, there's only one.

EDIT:  I just realized you meant file sharing in Windows, not some arcane function in MC (doh).
We're just discussing how to set up the shares in Windows so the same library will work on two different PCs.

pcstockton

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 12:27:31 am »

I am talking about sharing MC libraries.  Just like the end of your post two above.  Couldn't be easier.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

MrHaugen

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 03:41:31 am »

Yes. Running a library server on the workstation and just connect to the library server from the Laptop. That would probably be the best option in this case. You'll need the "server" on when connecting with clients though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

pcstockton

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 09:40:51 am »

What is Illern's method above all about???  This must be for something I dont do b/c although i let it, it went right over my head.

-Patrick

MrHaugen

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 09:47:55 am »

I think he's going into an awful lot of details on how to share one physical media location by mapping UNC path as drives on the local clients? I got dizzy after a few lines so I can not say for sure :o I'll hand it to him that he is thorough though!

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 05:31:03 pm »

I think he's going into an awful lot of details on how to share one physical media location by mapping UNC path as drives on the local clients? I got dizzy after a few lines so I can not say for sure :o I'll hand it to him that he is thorough though!

I do the same thing, yep that was what we were describing.  Tedious, yet inelegant :)

When you run Library Server, do you have to do any maps to the media on the remote machines?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 10:02:22 pm »

When you run Library Server, do you have to do any maps to the media on the remote machines?

See jmone's response here, and similar ones in other threads (search "Play local file").
  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66547.msg446624#msg446624

Media Center keeps track of each file's Filename in its library.  Since the loaded library in a Library Server client comes from the server, the Filename paths are unchanged.  With the "Play local file..." option set, MC will attempt to locate the file on the client.  When the path is found, the file is read like any other Windows file, local or network-based.  Windows handles the transfer of data in either case.

Otherwise, MC has to stream the file, and this may involve conversion for some media.  Hence delays.

You can either use UNC paths for all your MC file references, or you can ensure that your drives all have the same name across server and client systems.  This can be done by manually setting the drive letters consistently, such as M:, or by drive mapping.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 04:21:37 am »

As I use MC on my homecomputer as well as on my computer at the office I've been working with backup and restore for years now. Like someone said: you have to work with identical filepaths.
I solved this by using mappings of different folders to 1 identical.
For instance:
home: c:\music\ is mapped to R:
office: D:\music files is mapped to R:

MC just looks at the so called R-drives.

I backup/restore every day I've been at the office. Works like a charm, especially since the 'settings'-option is added a year ago.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

MrHaugen

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 04:30:48 am »

Oh man. That is some dedication right there. Have you considered just streaming to your office computer?
I would have done that my self, but I think they have blocked the port needed :o

pcstockton

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 04:11:19 pm »

This discussion is proving to me that I am not understanding something....

Does Mark do what he does in the scenario above because his "office" and "home" are on different networks, i.e. his office is not at home?

Otherwise why would you simply share the library.  How do drive letters and library backups play into this?

I can load my Main Library on my Office Laptop and play all of the media from Main.  All art, playlist and everything are accessible.

What am I missing in those others' set-ups where this doesn't work?  Or better said, what am I missing out on by using simple MC Library Sharing as i am trying?

To clarify, I am not talking about any "Windows Sharing".  I am simply loading the library from one MC to another.

Thanks all!
Patrick

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:07 pm »

Try sharing a large movie file.  MC will have to convert into a streaming movie format, and for a 4gig file, that can take a long time.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

pcstockton

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.  i see now.  I am 99.9% audio.  I have never streamed video.

sorry for being dense on this one.

Patrick

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 01:56:24 am »

Does Mark do what he does in the scenario above because his "office" and "home" are on different networks, i.e. his office is not at home?

Otherwise why would you simply share the library.  How do drive letters and library backups play into this?

Indeed, my office and home are not in the same building. And I don't want to leave my computer on for streaming purposes: too expensive (power usage) and bad for the environment.

But it's not much of a deal: backing up every day on a USB-stick. I've even made a macro for that (and for restoring). Just a touch on a shortkey and I'm done :-)
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios
Pages: [1]   Go Up