INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing Now Position and Track Numbers Incorrect on Remote Client  (Read 2344 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

My main system has all MC files local to it and is connected to my stereo system. I usually control playing from a remote system (laptop) by connecting to the main system's library and use "There" to have it play on the main system. I updated to .38 today and am having a problem with the Playing Now Position and Playing Now Track numbers. The numbers are not displaying correctly on the remote system and do not seem to update when I change tracks or albums. That is, it is something like 1 of 10 no matter what I play. The display on the main system shows the correct track numbers. If I keep the remote system connected to the main system library but have playback on the remote laptop (Here or Zone 1), then the tracks numbers are displayed correctly. It seems that when the output is set to the main system the remote system is not getting the correct data back from the main system or, if it is getting it, does not display it correctly. I have tried this on 2 separate remote systems, both connecting to the main system, and both remote systems behave the same. I am not sure if this just happened with the .38 build or if it has been there for a while and I have not noticed. All three systems are running .38

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Playing Now Position and Track Numbers Incorrect on Remote Client
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:12:48 am »

I reinstalled version .38 and keep having the same problem. This definitely seems like a bug. Do I have to post it in the .38 thread to  have someone look at this? Jim? Matt?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 09:25:18 am »

Are you using DLNA as your server?  If so, try using Library Server.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:02 am »

I am using the library server.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 05:48:23 pm »

I have a screen capture showing the problem if that would help. I am just not sure how to load it here.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:59:07 am »

Here is a screen capture of the problem. The display on the client shows the Library Server running on Netbook (the server system). The playback is set to There (the Netbook server). The playing track is number 7 of 7, but displays as 11 of 11. If I play another album, the 11 of 11 stays. The playing time and duration are correct. If I change There to Here (play on the client) then the track numbers are displayed correctly. Hope that helps.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:24:10 pm »

I updated to .46 and have the same problem. So, I went back to 16.0.181 and the problem is there also. I upgraded from 15 to 17 with a very short stop at 16. I do not know when the problem started. Incidently, the Playing Now Position is correct on the server display.

Elapsed Time counts correctly on the client, but PN Position and PN Tracks do not. Also, BitRate updates every second on the server, but only every 5 seconds on the client.

Can someone please take a look at this. It has been a week now. It may be some weird issue on my end, but I do not see now.

Matt? Jim?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:10 pm »

Bump. Anyone? Matt? Jim?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:57:03 pm »

Here is a screen capture of the problem. The display on the client shows the Library Server running on Netbook (the server system). The playback is set to There (the Netbook server). The playing track is number 7 of 7, but displays as 11 of 11.

The 11 of 11 number is different from the track number.  That's not the number of tracks, that is the count of files (and current position playing) in the current Playing Now list.  Your screenshot shows the Album listing in the "Albums Copy" view under Audio.  Now, if just the album was in the Playing Now list, then the numbers should match, but there could have been other stuff in there but your screenshot doesn't show it one way or the other.

Can you reproduce the same issue, with that same album, and then take a screenshot of the Playing Now list showing only 7 files in the list, but 11 of 11 listed in the title bar?

EDIT:  Wait, I can reproduce this.  I can explain it better though.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 09:18:30 pm »

Problem:  When you are using MC in "Tremote" mode, the Title Bar's currently playing count (on the Client Side) doesn't update to show the correct number (and sequence) of tracks until you switch and make that Playing Now list visible on-screen.

It is easy to reproduce:

1. Open up a MC and connect to a remote Library Server.
2. Select the There Zone from Playing Now in the tree.  Note the number of tracks listed in the playlist already there.
3. Navigate through your library and pick something to play.  Note the number of tracks you are going to be playing when you do this (assuming you have the Double Click option set to the default "Replace Playing Now (All)" setting, it should be the number of tracks in the current view).
4. The Title Bar still shows the old count of tracks, whatever it was, not the new one (even though it works and is playing the right list).

Click to embiggen.

In the screenshot above, I played those files by Double Clicking on "A Cautionary Song".  There are 74 tracks in the list, and the correct song is playing on my Server.  But the Title Bar lists 7 of 16.

5. Now, switch back to the There Zone under Playing Now in the tree.  Poof, the list shows and the count in the Title Bar updates and is right again.

Click to embiggen.

I did nothing but switch views back to Playing Now to show that list, and it immediately updated and showed the correct count, 4 of 74.

If you never switch back and show the Playing Now list visibly, then the Title Bar count never updates, it just stays on the old count.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:13:20 am »

Thanks glynor. I get the same results. Under Playing Now the information is updated. Under the Albums view it is not. Since I never use Playing Now, I did not see that it worked there. I also tried the Genres and Artist views and they act the same as Albums. Hopefully, there is a quick fix to this issue, since I pretty much always use the Album view (actually Album Copy, my customized version). Thanks again.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 09:31:18 am »

This is just the way it is right now.  The client doesn't pull the playing now list until you look at it.

I agree it would be nice to change it, but it's not a simple thing I can sneak in quickly.

If it's any consolation, build 50 just got this:
NEW: When controlling a remote Media Center zone, reordering, deleting, and shuffling Playing Now is fully supported.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 12:15:15 pm »

I understand that this is not a priority but I hope this issue can be addressed.

Bitrate is updated every 5 seconds. So it seems like there is communication between the client and server on a regular basis. If the Album view is updating the bitrate, then it should be also able to update the playing now position and track information. Could that be added easily?

Since I mostly play albums, I can display Track #, which will be correct.

There is a tag for Number of Tracks but it looks like it is not filled in automatically. Is there any easy way to populate that, other than by hand? If so, I could use Track # and Number of Tracks in the album display.

Still, Playing Now Position and Tracks would be a preferable display.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 01:19:34 pm »

I'm speculating it is not a communication lack, but that a playlist's contents are not available until the playlist is visited.  The track information is available (since it is playing).

In other words, the items in the Now Playing playlist have to be enumerated before the count is available.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 04:44:42 pm »

MrC - the track number and track total are being displayed correctly on the server in album view mode. So, the heavy lifting has already been done there. No need to replicate that process on the client. My suggestion is that when the bitrate is send from the server (every 5 seconds) the server could also send the track information (actually Playing Now information), rather than have the client figure it out.  It is more data to send, but only 2 additional integers. The overhead should be pretty minimal. The bitrate data from the server is being correctly updated in the client display every 5 seconds. Why not do the same with PN Position and PN Tracks? I obviously do not know exactly how the code is doing the bitrate update, but I would think it would be pretty easy to do the same with the PN data. Of course, assuming is always dangerous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up