INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Netbook or tablet to run JRiver and Gizmo?  (Read 6733 times)

samwisesam

• Recent member
Netbook or tablet to run JRiver and Gizmo?
« on: December 02, 2011, 03:05:58 am »

hi

I have waded through some of the topics on here but can't quite find wha I am after. I currently run J River on my Windows laptop into my DAC/Hi Fi and it sounds geat. However, the laptop is large and looks untidy on the AV Stand. I want to use a netbook or tablet as the source to run J River into the DAC to making a neater solution. A few questions;

1. Can I run J River from an android tablet such as Samsung Galaxy? Or is a Windows netbook solution required?
2. I assume I can run GIZMO from any Android device although solution seems to vary depending on access to the market?
3. Can I run GIZMO on a Kindle 3?

Any advice gratefully received.

cheers Jamie

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Netbook or tablet to run JRiver and Gizmo?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 04:06:57 am »

1.Yes. Andorid is needed for Gizmo, Windows is needed for MC
2.Yes, you should be able to run it from anywhere. Worst case, you'll have to download it manually and install it perhaps? I guess JRiver would have gizmo laying around somewhere.
3.No. Kindle is not Android, is it? Or at least a very heavy modified one, so I can't imagine that it will work.

If you are anything like me, then perhaps you'd like to have a more full blown MC interface in the future. If that is the case, you should get a good ARM processor Pad with Android, which you should be able to use with Win8 later when it comes out. I think it should work with current ARM Android devices, but I'm not sure. Win8 might require some special screens that read touch on the frames.

*EDIT*
Manual install of Gizmo, and more info can be found here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Gizmo
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
Re: Re: Netbook or tablet to run JRiver and Gizmo?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 04:28:26 am »

Bear in mind that if you go with gizmo on the android, then it will only play low quality encodes of your videos. There is no option to tell it to play the original file from the server. Same goes for any lossless music you may own. It will be converted to mp3 on the fly.

I would go with a windows machine. At the moment Theater View is years ahead of gizmo in terms of navigation, tagging ability, playback engine, and all round user experience. All indicators point toward a very slow incremental development of gizmo. You could also buy a remote control for the windows machine, whereas with gizmo you would have to go to the device.

samwisesam

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 04:52:49 am »

thanks for the info. I was only thinking of using GIZMO as the remote and not as a player. Ideally, I wanted to get a netbook running J River with my music library attached on an external hard drive. But at times where aesthetics weren't an issue I was thinking I could use my laptop as source as I do now but then use the netbook/tablet as the remote device instead of using a small android phone. But this would mean the Windows Netbook/tablet would act as the remote - if this is the case would it need the Android Gizmo app? If so, I'm not sure that would work on Windows? I hope that makes sense?

Basically, I want to downside my source to make it looker neater and use a tablet/nebook as the remote - any ideas? But ideally I wanted the netbook/tablet to be able to act as either source or remote depending on the circumstance and not have to buy two products.

cheers Jamie

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:44:17 am »

... the Windows Netbook/tablet would act as the remote - if this is the case would it need the Android Gizmo app?
No.  Gizmo won't run on Windows.  But you can use Tremote in that case.  Start with the wiki article on Remotes.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 05:52:31 am »

Kindle is not Android, is it? Or at least a very heavy modified one, so I can't imagine that it will work.
The Kindle Fire is Android.  Gizmo works on it, but not on other Kindles.

samwisesam

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 04:24:38 am »

thanks for info. I'll check out Wiki and Tremote

cheers Jamie

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 03:21:15 am »

Isn't it possible to use a full client version of MC to controll another by selecting zone?

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 01:31:43 pm »

I'm running Gizmo successfully on a $150- Coby MID-7022.
Pages: [1]   Go Up