INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay-Gain  (Read 2145 times)

zevele1

Replay-Gain
« on: May 19, 2002, 05:07:57 am »

I did a search for replay-gain ,and found this:make sure MJ ins't playing at the time[you do replay-gain]????
You do need to play the songs if you want analyse them? Or not?

Now,how to use replay-gain?
I open it: DSP-Replay-gain.Do i have to set it or it is automatic?If not the |PLS|6 db is"average setting"?

from properties-tools-replay-gain,i see that i have a ? under radio gain and peak level
How do i set it?The fact to set it in DSP-replay gain will put the settings in properties-tools-replay-gain?

I whish to have a default setting.In this very case ,i do not mind to lose some quality if using a default setting
I play on my stereo at ,all the time,LOUD level and just do not want to jump,close to a heart attack.
Beside this when playing full album i will put replay-gain off
Whem using mp3trim with default value,it was allmost fine.But metal songs did not have a good sound

So
open DSP-put setting in replay gain
select tracks-properties-tools-replay-gain
click on analize
It is in this order?
If yes,what i have to do after,to start to play the songs?

Thank you and keep cool  because much more dum questions to come,i am afraid....

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Replay-Gain
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2002, 05:57:00 am »

It's a two step process.

Analyze -- under file properties/tools.  Select some files first.
Playback -- what you found under DSP.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2002, 09:30:50 am »

Thank you and sorry to ask more about it
I am writting down some notes.To be able to use all of it as it as to be use ,and not asking the same thing each few weeks

I did some tests.My general feeling is that i lost to much power-i will say allmost around 2 grades on my volume stereo button.
In this case i have to use Manual Adjustement[global]?
If yes ,once Matt said that |PLS|6Db was a good average setting.He was speaking about Manual Adjustement?

Last
In this case,how it works
I set Manual Adjustement and i start again replay-gain from properties-tools-replay-gain?
Or i just play the songs with the new setting in Manual Adjustement?

Replay-gains works only with mp3?
Or with APE-Org-MPC as well?

sekim

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2002, 09:44:02 am »

Just push play. Once you have made a manual adjustment there is no need to do more then that. Play the music and you will see.

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2002, 10:07:40 am »

MachineHead
If i use properties-tools-replay-gain,it is like to use a default setting--I am right?
If i want to set Manual Adjustement,in this case i do not use pro..-to..-g.r.--I am right?
The |PLS|6dB from Matt are in this case an average setting for people who do not wish to set for each song'album?
I fell that with |PLS|6dB,i lost less power than with replay-gain from properties......Or it is just that i start to mess around

The sound with properties.... is good.But i have to set power at allmost 10.No good for the ampli
If you want to care about your ampli,no more than 8 and NEVER less than 5...I am no sure i have numbers bellows 5 on this ampli...........
But if you want to check ampli or speakers ,you have to try at level 1 or 2 as well.If you do not get a very clear sound at this level,don't buy
Better weather on your side?

sekim

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2002, 10:36:27 am »

zevele10,

Yes, it is like a default setting. Basically replay gain normalizes the volume between all files and comes up with a baseline. Then from that baseline volume you can manually adjust, up or down, to suit your needs. If you have DSP studio open when playing files you can monitor what the levels are. There is sort of a realtime number displayed during playback.

#2-Correct, there is no need to re-analyze the files for manual adjustment. This simply to get the levels suitable for your system playback. Maybe you should keep clip protection on also if you are nervous about your amp. It may or may not affect playback, you'll have to play around and see. This is assuming that clip protection is off??

Yes the weather is getting somewhat better. Finally baled the lawn today. Next Page Had been putting it off because the tractor was stuck in-between gears since last winter. Rampant shifting trying to get it unstuck during our 22 inch dump of snow. So I tore it apart yesterday and fixed it. Now I can send sweetie out when it needs a mowing. Yeah right!!!

How about your side of the pond?

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2002, 11:22:21 am »

Clip protection is on.Do not know if better for my amp,but i know it is better for my ears.....
I very much prefer the result with replay-gain than with trim
Do not know if you saw my other post ,but "i am a new MJ8 user",since friday.I just find out all the options,i can't beleive it!
Got and ripped my first protected cd as well...
Weather still cool[not cold] for here at this time of the year.But i still have to meet one complaining about it...
Anyway my air-conditioners are ready.Old ones,with a hole in the wall.Was a little bit a mess last week.
Will put a  new one next year.But i bought the flat in last December and just have few thousand $ left to pay on his total price .So 2002 will not be a year of great spending

sekim

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2002, 11:40:22 am »

zevele10,

I did catch the other post. Some amazing stuff this program will do. Still trying to dig all the goodies out myself. Curious, are you using skins? And if so, have you had any problems with them? Not that they make MJ work any better, but they sure beat the hell out of a drab looking unskinned MJ.

Something else you can do is mess with the EQ at the same time. I run all the DSP settings at the same time. RG, EQ, and DSP effects. Typically I have the EQ set on the 'country setting then tweak the bass up slightly. For effects - Living room and a setting of 8, virtual sub is set at 8", and surround field is set at insano extreme. Replay Gain is manually adjusted to |PLS|7.

This is just for the computer though. If it was running through the stereo I'd probably have to mess with the settings again.

Listening to : Soulfly - Primitive - Son Song

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2002, 12:27:23 pm »

I am never on mini-skin.Or i "work' inside Mj,and in this case on mega,or i minimize in the tollbars.
And by the way we are still waiting for name of the song\artist displayed when MJ in the tollbars...
Having the computer plug to the stereo,i never use any DSP effect.And i do not have bass- treble on my amp,just volume
But the few weeks i had only computer speakers,i have to say that any kind of DSP was a need

sekim

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2002, 01:52:25 pm »

Are you using stereo link?

zevele1

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2002, 02:12:38 pm »

Not yet
I have to order it from the US.Gives me cool feet if it is not working
And i am very good at to  get the one in 5.000 who has a problem

3 hard drives in 3 months,my new wireless phone in december,the gaz cooker in february.
I can give you list 1 meter long and it is like this since ever
From my chair i have acces to my stereo  and computer.I did wire with special top quality cable
But i really want Stereo Link,so i will order it this summer now,because i want to travel in june-Vienna and Prague.If my assurance gives me green light

BTW thank you for the tips on replay-gain.I think i understand how to use it now
After reading your post i did play with DSP,but playing loud throught the stereo and playing
with DSP do not mix very well

sekim

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2002, 02:22:51 pm »

Your welcome zevele. As I said, I don't run the computer through the stereo, yet. Know the feeling about being the lucky one to get a piece of $#!^ when it comes to electronics. Also, probably the only human to nail a cherry pit when ordering a piece of cherry pie from a restaurant. Grandpa used to be the lucky one. Must have passed it on to me after he passed away a few years ago. Next Page

sekim

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2002, 04:35:27 pm »

Now my own question about RG. Can RG analyzed .wav files be burned to disc? Was wondering if this even possible.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2002, 05:13:03 pm »

If you set playback to diskwriter, MJ will write a wav file of whatever would have gone to the sound card.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2002, 05:17:11 pm »

Maybe I asked the wrong question here. Looking into the help file I found 'Normalization'. Would this possibly be what I'm looking for to get volume levels consistant on a compilation CD?

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2002, 06:33:26 pm »

No. Normalization only analyzes the peak value of the track (which is highly inaccurate). Replay Gain analyzes the perceived loudness of the track. The only problem with Replay Gain is that it can cause clipping, but most good implementations (MJ, MPC plugin, etc.) have measures to thwart clipping.

To solve your problem with compilation albums, MJ needs support for Audiophile (also known as album-based) Replay Gain. This keeps the dynamic range of the entire album intact. Unfortunately, MJ does not have an album-based Replay Gain mode. If you use MPC for your collection, the plugin supports all kinds of Replay Gain toys. Though, the MPC files in question need to be analyzed with Frank's Replay Gain tool.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2002, 06:36:29 pm »

After listening to the Gladiator Soundtrack with MJ's Replay Gain feature enabled, I finally understood what Album Gain was all about. There is a seamless transition between two tracks on that album and when the track changed, the volume dropped dramatically. Of course, disabling it fixed that problem, but now I've got to remember to turn it on later.

I know one thing that's going to be high on my wishlist for version 9. Next Page

zevele1

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2002, 08:53:17 am »

Doof
With you on this
And to have it not buried under 2 clicks
You feel like searching for the only socks of that color you have, deep inside the cupboard
Pages: [1]   Go Up