INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Remote - Close Program command is now going to Standard View  (Read 5059 times)

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
MC Remote - Close Program command is now going to Standard View
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:07:22 am »

I'm pretty sure this issue started with version 17.0.50 but of course it may just have been coincidence. When pressing the PowerToggle button/command on my MC remote J River Media Center use to close when in Theater View. Now instead of closing it goes to Standard View. I can close MC by pressing POwerToggle again but I was wondering if there was a way to put it back to it's previous preferred behavior.

Thanks.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC Remote - Close Program command is now going to Standard View
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »

I brought this up in one of the Beta build threads where it started (build 48, for the record).

Basically, Matt's answer was that MC was using the wrong behavior all along.  Theater View is viewed as a "window on top" of MC, not a mode of the MC application itself, I guess.  Sending WM_CLOSE (which is probably what your remote is doing) should close the active window, but not shut down the application itself (unless there are no other windows active, I suppose), the same as ALT-F4.  Before, sending WM_CLOSE to Theater View worked differently from ALT-F4, now they're the same.

If you can program your remote to act differently from other applications when Theater View is in the foreground, you can set it to send mc17.exe /mcc 20007, 2 instead and it'll work the way it used to.  If you aren't running a Library Server, you can use mc17.exe /close instead, but be aware that using that command will close down the Library Server as well.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

stewart_pk

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:53:27 pm »

I might give your recommendation a go. But if I issue the close window command from the display view (at when playing music anyway) J River MC closes down completely so a bit of an inconsistency in behavior there.

Cheers.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:44:18 pm »

I might give your recommendation a go. But if I issue the close window command from the display view (at when playing music anyway) J River MC closes down completely so a bit of an inconsistency in behavior there.

Mmmmhmmm.  I agree.

stewart_pk

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 06:31:17 pm »

What do you reckon developers...Can the WM_CLOSE command be made to close J River MC regardless of where it's issued from/at? This is how it use to work.

Cheers.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 06:51:10 pm »

In some views, like Theater View, there's no way that Media Center would ever send itself a WM_CLOSE.

So the behavior was not tightly defined since it only applies to people scripting the program.

However, I think WM_CLOSE should work like MCC_EXIT / Alt+F4 in all views.  If you need a complete exit, it's available with MCC_EXIT (as a parameter) or by closing twice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 07:25:03 pm »

However, I think WM_CLOSE should work like MCC_EXIT / Alt+F4 in all views.  If you need a complete exit, it's available with MCC_EXIT (as a parameter) or by closing twice.

For the record, I don't think we disagree.  Where we don't agree is in that Theater View is a "window on top of" Standard View.  Display View is not, it is a "mode of" the main MC UI.  As steward_pk pointed out, when you send WM_CLOSE (or Alt-F4) to Display View, it closes MC completely (except for Library Serving, obviously).  I think Theater View should work the same way (like it used to), as opposed to a detached display, dialog box, or something else that is clearly a window "floating above" and separate from the main MC UI.

In other words, it was Alt-F4 that was acting wrong before, not WM_CLOSE.

There are, of course, edge cases where you can show Theater View and Standard View simultaneously.  But you really have to work at it.  For most users, when you switch to Theater View, that "becomes" MC.  Just like when you switch to Display View, it "becomes" MC.  And, if you tell "MC" to close, it should exit.

There are TONS of other ways to switch modes of MC and get back to Standard View.

But... I'm living with it.  It glares at me every time I have to hit close twice.  I'll probably eventually reprogram Girder.  It is just a little bit of a pain to make a special case for MC.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 07:36:20 pm »

As steward_pk pointed out, when you send WM_CLOSE (or Alt-F4) to Display View, it closes MC completely

Alt+F4 or the 'x' close box in Display View returns to Standard View or Theater View. 

There is one exception when you launch the program from Explorer to view a single file.  In that case, the program closes by design so that it can work well as a quick viewer.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:02:35 pm »

Alt+F4 or the 'x' close box in Display View returns to Standard View or Theater View. 

There is one exception when you launch the program from Explorer to view a single file.  In that case, the program closes by design so that it can work well as a quick viewer.

You're totally right, of course, and I actually appreciate that fact.

I don't know what I was thinking.  I retract my argument.

stewart_pk

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 07:18:08 am »

This seems to have been fixed by sending WM_QUIT (Windows Message 18) instead of WM_CLOSE (Windows Message 16) using LM Remote Keymap.

Cheers.

stewart_pk

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:18:13 pm »

Spoke too soon, unfortunately issuing WM_QUIT has nasty side effects.

WM_CLOSE not operating like it use to is really starting to annoy me now. Especially due to the fact I start MC up in Theater View you would think that I can close it with the press of a button. Having to press the close button twice is not only annoying but also seeing Standard View in between seems illogical. I'm not at all interested in Standard View and I don't understand why a user would ever want be looking at it from a HTPC point of view with an IR remote control.

Every other app I use (Windows Media Center, Power DVD, Firefox) simply close when I issue a WM_CLOSE command, no matter where I issue it from.

rick.ca

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:45:48 pm »

The LM Remote "Close Application" seems to work fine.

stewart_pk

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »

The LM Remote "Close Application" seems to work fine.

From Theater view?

I think I tried what you suggested and it made no difference.

rick.ca

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:20:47 pm »

From Theater view?

Yes.

stewart_pk

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 04:47:32 am »

Your suggestion has worked, thanks.
I'd still prefer if JRiver worked how it use to though as this method requires one more button on my programable remote.

rick.ca

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 06:08:31 am »

this method requires one more button on my programable remote.

How so? It's one command to map to your Power/Close button.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 10:01:11 am »

My wife has been complaining about this pretty much non-stop since the change was made.

I finally reprogrammed Girder last night to send the mcc 20007, 2 command when Theater View is in the foreground, and to continue to send WM_Close for everything else.

Still annoying that I have to "special case" MC, when it always worked perfectly before.  But, whatever, it is "fixed" for me.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 10:40:47 am »

If Alt+F4 or a scripted WM_CLOSE hits Display View, it should definitely return to Theater View (or Standard View if that's the view you last used).

But if Alt+F4 or a scripted WM_CLOSE hits Theater View, I don't feel strongly.  We can make it close the program if people prefer.

stewart_pk

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 08:56:50 pm »

How so? It's one command to map to your Power/Close button.

Because I also need another button to close every other app I use/need on my HTPC (Windows MC, Arcsoft TMT5).

stewart_pk

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 08:59:30 pm »

But if Alt+F4 or a scripted WM_CLOSE hits Theater View, I don't feel strongly.  We can make it close the program if people prefer.

I feel very strongly about it so YEEEEEEEEEEES PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!

I think as a HTPC application being operated by an IR remote, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever I should ever be looking at Standard View unless I specifically program a button on my remote to do so.

rick.ca

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 09:24:43 pm »

Because I also need another button to close every other app I use/need on my HTPC (Windows MC, Arcsoft TMT5).

LM Remote KeyMap allows each application to be programmed separately.

stewart_pk

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 09:44:39 pm »

I'm not sure if I understand LM Remote enough.

Don't I need to override a separate button/command on my MC remote for each app that I would want to close if I was to use a specific "close application" command for each one?

rick.ca

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 11:59:08 pm »

Don't I need to override a separate button/command on my MC remote for each app that I would want to close if I was to use a specific "close application" command for each one?

No. Add a "profile" for MC for this command (and any other custom command you might want to add). If it finds a command in a profile for the active application, it uses it. If it doesn't, then it uses the default profile. So it's very easy to program for "exceptions" like this.

I also recommend creating menus for commands not normally available on a remote (e.g., setting ratings) or which would require a number of button presses to complete otherwise (i.e., a macro). Not only can any number of commands be assigned to one key, you don't have to remember what key a custom command is mapped to.

stewart_pk

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 11:05:19 pm »

Yeah I tried what you suggested rick and it's worked perfectly, I'm happy now.

Thanks for your patience! :)

maid

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2012, 05:12:47 pm »

Received remote and it does work right out of the box thanks.

How does the remote work in Standard view please?
Intel Core i5-4590 CPU,  Haswell Gen2,  LGA1150, 3.3GHz 6 DDR3/ 2x PCIE3.0 x16 16gb Ram Windows 10 64 bit Asus Z97-DELUXE ATX Motherboard Nvidia GForce gtx1080 Receiver Onkyo TX-NR925 TV LG LF6300 55" smart TV

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2012, 06:33:23 pm »

Standard View isn't designed to work with a remote.  Just Theater View.

Belarathon

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »

I am another user who would like to see the old behavior.
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810
Pages: [1]   Go Up