INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accessing MC Theater using WD HD Plus  (Read 1591 times)

terrytad

• Recent member
Accessing MC Theater using WD HD Plus
« on: December 20, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »

In one post it talks about a MC Client to access Theater.  On the WD window it shows dnla generic which has some video viewing capability.  But how do you get to MC so you can schedule recording, view recorded data, view scheduled series etc.

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Accessing MC Theater using WD HD Plus
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:20:13 am »

Do you mean the WD TV Live Plus?

This is a DLNA media player/rendererer, it is not a MC client.  You can only get to the PVR side of MC by using MC itself on a PC, so you need to go to your main server PC to do this or use a HTPC connected to your TV.

There is a "remote interface" protocol of UPnP/DLNA but at the moment there are no DLNA devices that support it and JR do not have plans to implement it.

terrytad

• Recent member
Re: Accessing MC Theater using WD TV Live Plus
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:59 am »

Yes, I mean Western Digitals TV Live Plus. I guess I am really missing the boat on this whole connection capability on how to communicate with the MC on the computer.
Is there a way to communicate with MC using intranet web access?
Where would the Logitech Harmony remote control fit in with this?
How can one control MC from another room is the real question like with the functionality the obsolete Sage TV had?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:23:32 am »

You might want to read the "DLNA" topic on our wiki.  You can't control MC from the WD.  You can play from MC on the WD.

csimon

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 10:33:47 am »

There are loads of remote control options for MC when it comes to browsing and playing media from MC's library (Webplay, Webremote, Gizmo, My River, DLNA control points, DLNA clients), but when talking about PVR functionality I don't think there is any remote control functionality. You have to use a copy of MC on a PC.

You could use some sort of remote desktop application (I have been playing with Splashtop on an iPad to directly access and control the copy of MC that's running on the server).

A programmable remote control will indeed allow you to control the server copy of MC, it's just a substitute for a mouse and keyboard, but presumably you need to see what you're doing!  So you need the PC you're controlling connected to the TV and the PC in direct line of sight of the remote control.

It seems there is a great move towards HTPCs connected to TVs, although I've always thought that it's the remote control or thin client type approach that is more forward-thinking.  See http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67671.0

csimon

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:39:03 am »

If you're happy to have a HTPC connected to your TV (which is what I believe Sage TV required anyway?) then you could use a remote dekstop application or VNC to remotely access your MC PC which may be in another room.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:14 am »

A programmable remote control will indeed allow you to control the server copy of MC, it's just a substitute for a mouse and keyboard, but presumably you need to see what you're doing!  So you need the PC you're controlling connected to the TV and the PC in direct line of sight of the remote control.
Gizmo and Tremote give you a visual interface on the remote control device (Android and PC, respectively).
Pages: [1]   Go Up