INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on Windows Home Server/MC integration  (Read 2415 times)

rar4010

• Recent member
Need advice on Windows Home Server/MC integration
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:41:50 am »

I'm hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have my music library (30k songs) on MC16 residing on a Windows 7 PC. I have just installed a Windows Home Server (Acer) primarily to serve as media server and run Homeseer automation. I also have AppleTV (2nd gen) and everyone in the house has iPhone + 1 iPad.

My goal is to move all the music to WHS and stream via AppleTV. Also would like to rip my DVD collection (150-ish) to the server and be able to stream via AppleTV. Also would like to browse photos (40k) on AppleTV.

There is a MC plug-in on HomeSeer, but not sure what it does. There is an iTunes add-in for Windows Home Server, but I'm not sure how the AppleTV sees it. I can't get iTunes to run correctly on the server since it has no audio capability. I would like to leverage the Apple products as remotes, etc, but I hate iTunes and don't want to keep my library up in 2 places. I've considered jailbreaking the AppleTV and going with ATVFlash...any experience?

Then there is the question of how to elegantly migrate my music to the server and maintain all my metadata. I need to re-arrange some of the folders into a My Music/Artist/Album tree structure in the process.

I know this is a far-reaching request, but there are some really inventive folks on this board who are smarter than I. Any advice on any aspect of this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

rar4010

• Recent member
Re: Need advice on Windows Home Server/MC integration
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 07:16:11 am »

I should say that the underlying premise for posting this here is that I assume MC16 could be at the center of all of this activity. I know I mentioned a lot of things un-related to MC, but am trying to tie it all together via MC.
Thanks again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Need advice on Windows Home Server/MC integration
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:45:20 am »

Someone else may be able to help with the Apple parts of your problem, but be sure to read this:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67735.0

I believe MC should be able to import the files from the server if it shows up as a drive.

A new feature called WebGizmo was just introduced in MC17.  Check that board.

Pages: [1]   Go Up