INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Theater view when using Auto Refresh Rate Change  (Read 3190 times)

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
Problems with Theater view when using Auto Refresh Rate Change
« on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:58 am »

I have a problem in Theater View, when using Automatic Display Settings changing. Whenever I have been watching a Blu-Ray movie running at 23.98Hz and returns to Theater View, the navigation becomes laggy/jumpy, e.g. zoom in on covers happens in jumps instead of a smooth zoom as it was before running the movie. This behavior continues until I run a Pal DVD at 50Hz. Then navigating Theater View is again a smooth experience.

I have checked the refresh rate on all the different movies I have while playing, by running the movie in a window and checking the Nvidia Control Panel. All refresh rate switching is working correctly. The Nvidia Control Panel also reports that the refresh rate returns to 60Hz when returning to Theater View even when the navigation becomes laggy.

This happens with ROHQ and RO Std. No difference to be seen in the two modes. Enabling Hardware Accelerate doesn't change anything either.

The problem started after build 17.0.038 which were working just fine. Rolling back to 17.0.038 fixes the problem and I get constant smooth navigation in Theater view no matter what type of movie I play. All versions since this and up to 17.0.060 gives me this problem.

I have the following setup

AsRock Vision 3D with i5 processor running Windows 7, 64 bit. Graphics are built-in Nvidia GT425M with driver version 280.26.

MC17:

ROHQ
Automatic Display Setting changing is enabled. All FPS fields for my movies is populated.
Bitsteaming None
Videoclock enabled
Normalize Volume enabled
WASAPI - Event style

All movies are ripped to a NAS in BDMV or Video_ts folder structure.

As a note, I installed MC17 on a friends brand new AsRock Vision 3D with an i3 processor (but otherwise the same hw) yesterday. Complete new installation of Windows and MC17. It has exactly the same problem. Will work on 17.0.038, but not any version higher than that.

I hope somebody can help me with this. I have noticed quite a few Vision 3D users on this forum so I am hoping somebody else can verify this.

TLS

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problems with Theater view when using Auto Refresh Rate Change
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:46:54 pm »

I had the opposite at home, and so recently did work to improve 24 Hz rendering in Theater View.

When it's choppy, what stats are shown with Pause/Break in Theater View?  I'm most interested in the frames per second and milliseconds per draw.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:49:49 pm »

Hi Matt

I don't have the problem when I am playing a movie. In this respect everything is working like a dream.

The problem occurs when I stop the 24p movie and returns to Theater View, browsing through my media. This browsing becomes choppy.

I am sorry if I have misunderstood you question. Can you maybe elaborate a bit? Where do I read the FPS and mS per draw?

TLS

stewart_pk

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 09:37:45 pm »

Can you try going launching J River from a 23Hz and/or 24Hz desktop?

I'm pretty sure when I do this it's very choppy (unusable) without playing any content at all.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 05:27:47 am »

You are right, if a launch MC from a 23Hz desktop I get the same choppy navigation without playing anything.

This indicates that MC does not return to the desktop setting after playback of 24p material has stopped (although this is the setting I have in options).

If I launch MC from a 60Hz desktop, start and stop a 24p movie I then again get the choppu navigation. If I then exit Theater View back to Standard View and launch Nvidia Control Panel while MC is running, it shows a desktop refresh rate of 60Hz (as expected). Launching Theater View again brings back the choppy navigation.

So it looks like I have a refresh rate of 24Hz in Theater View after playing a 24p movie, even though my computer and Nvidia control panel reports a 60Hz refresh rate.

As a reminder, this problem goes away when I roll back to 17.0.038.

stewart_pk

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 09:16:10 am »

Options ---> Video ---> Display Settings ---> Default (used when restoring display settings): Desktop Settings

Change this options to 1920x1080x59 or 1920x1080x60 assuming you want a 1920x1080 desktop to return to.

Seems to work for me, good luck!

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 09:29:20 am »

Thanks!  I already tried that with 50, 59 and 60Hz. I does change anything I'm afraid. The problem is still there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 01:48:38 pm »

I think this may be fixed by a change coming in 17.0.61:
Fixed: Image playback (or other hardware accelerated views) could get into a state when an unexpected redraw was issued by Windows where presentation stalled the main thread and prevented timers from being serviced (so image playback could stall).

If not, please use the Pause/Break keyboard button (at the top right of your keyboard) and report the numbers you see in Theater View.

Thanks.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 04:00:07 pm »

Thanks Matt! Looking forward to try it.

I didn't know about the Pause/Break function in Theater View. I will be sure to report back when I get to try it in an upcoming build.

TLS

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:22:01 am »

Hi Matt

I'm afraid updating to 17.0.062 didn't solve my problem. I have exactly the same behavior.

Pressing the Pause/Break button after returning from a 24p movie and having the choppy navigation gives me the numbers below.

Frames per second: 26,7 (Goal of 60,0)
Miliseconds per draw: 0,7 (Capable of 1480,0 fps at 100%)
Exclusive: No

If I then run a PAL DVD at 50Hz right after without exiting Theater View, I get the numbers below.

Frames per second: 60,0 (Goal of 60,0)

TLS

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 11:29:04 am »

Hi Matt

I'm afraid updating to 17.0.062 didn't solve my problem. I have exactly the same behavior.

Pressing the Pause/Break button after returning from a 24p movie and having the choppy navigation gives me the numbers below.

Frames per second: 26,7 (Goal of 60,0)

That looks good.  It means we're rendering at 24 Hz and not blocking waiting for vsyncs.

24 Hz will always look choppy compared to 50 / 60 Hz.  If you game, you've probably seen how things look when framerates get that low.

Is it possible this is the explanation, or do you think there's something else going on?

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 11:45:28 am »

I am sorry, but it does not look good to me. Something else is going on.

I would have expected Theater View to return to 60Hz and giving me smooth navigation after returning from a 24p movie. This is how I have MC set-up. My refresh rate is as standard 60Hz, so why does MC not return to this as expected? It stays at a strange 26,7.

Remember, if I roll back to 17.0.038 (with the same settings) the "Frames per second" will show 60,0 no matter what movie have been playing.

Having to start a PAL DVD in order to get smooth navigation again is not really what I am hoping for.

TLS

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 10:19:51 am »

Bump!

This is still a problem in 17.0.71.

When ending a 24p ripped blu-ray movie and retuning to Theater View, it is still choppy. Pressing Pause/Break is showing "Frames per second: 26.7 (Goal of 60)". It should have 60 frames per second as it has before starting the 24p movie.

Rolling back to 17.0.38 fixes the problem.

MadVr reports a very accurate fps while the moving is running, so I don't know where the odd 26.7 comes from.

I need some help here.

TLS.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 10:32:06 am »

When ending a 24p ripped blu-ray movie and retuning to Theater View, it is still choppy. Pressing Pause/Break is showing "Frames per second: 26.7 (Goal of 60)". It should have 60 frames per second as it has before starting the 24p movie.

As long as the movie is playing, the refresh rate will stay at 24 Hz.  If you press stop, it should switch the refresh rate back and return to Theater View.

Is it possible you're returning to Theater View with the movie still playing the credits?  What if you press stop instead?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 10:52:21 am »

When testing this I did see a problem where changing resolutions while Theater View was showing would not work nicely.

This will be fixed in a coming build.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:37 am »

I did actually press stop. Even tried to pause first and then pressing stop. It still didn't go back to 60.

I am glad you may be on track to find this issue and I look forward to trying the fix you will come up with. I will be happy to try it for you if you need somebody to test this.

TLS

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 09:24:27 am »

Bump

Hi Matt

I am not sure if the fix you mention below has been implemented yet, but this is still a problem for me with 17.0.89.

TLS

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2012, 11:16:58 am »

Bump

This bug is still present.

I have tried the exactly same thing on my second HTPC system and it act the same way. Playing a 24p ripped blu-ray movie in Theater view with the automatic refresh rate change enabled. Movie plays with the correct refresh rate (23.976) according to MadVR status. When I stop the movie Theater view should return to the desktop refresh rate (60) but it doesn't.

This problem is present in on two different computers connected to two different TVs. One system is an AsRock Vision 3D and the other is an AsRock ION. Both were working correctly on build 17.0.38.

TLS

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »

Go into options>tree & view and make sure you have set Resolution to 1920x1080x32x60.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:34 pm »

Thanks Raym. I am afraid that was one of the first things I did way back when this started. I doesn't help.

I have also set the same value under options/Video/Display Settings/Default. Doesn't help either.

Running a ripped DVD on both machines changes the TV to 50Hz as it should and when stopped Theater view returns nicely back to 60Hz. But after playing a 24p movie none of the two systems changes back to 60Hz.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 08:49:20 am »

Bump

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 02:35:48 pm »

Just adding my support to tls62dk on this issue - I have the same problem using the most recent build 17.0.91.

Similar fps and millisecond draw results as well.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 02:57:19 pm »

Thanks Steelman1991!

I was beginning to believe I was alone in the world here.  :)

TLS

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 03:24:24 am »

We're obviously more susceptible to it that others - but its an annoying issue to say the least. Guess we'll just have to hope that Matt or one of the others manages to replicate and resolve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up