INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost Direct 3d device?  (Read 4870 times)

raldo

• Citizen of the Universe
Lost Direct 3d device?
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:38:02 am »

On both my Asrock ION system and my Ati Radeon I've seen the message "Error drawing DirectX 3d (Device Lost)" when trying to playback images. This is intermittent.

There have been no changes to drivers or hardware changes. The systems worked fine in MC16.

stewart_pk

Re: Lost Direct 3d device?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »

Yes I'm seeing this as well in "Theater View" and created a thread on it too, but that seemed to go nowhere.

I also have an ATI Radeon (6450) and am using the latest 11.12 drivers under windows 7 32 bit.

I think this problem started happening within the last half a dozen versions of MC 17.

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:17:47 pm »

It's been reported before, and seems to have been solved in >= build 62. Which version are you using?

stewart_pk

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09:31 pm »

Build 64.

The last post in that thread meantions that the problem still occurs.

stewart_pk

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:01 pm »

Bump...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:09:46 pm »

We're seeing a couple of this kind of problem.  It could be ours or it may be a video driver problem.  You could try rolling back a version of the driver or MC.

raldo

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 03:54:09 am »

We're seeing a couple of this kind of problem.  It could be ours or it may be a video driver problem.  You could try rolling back a version of the driver or MC.
I never saw this in MC16. Same driver, no antivirus, etc.

frankieboy

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 05:28:01 pm »

i had the same problem.. on my asrock ion ht
A new install of win 7 (32bit) - and install of MC17 - gave me the same error message when starting
A google search brought me to microsoft site
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Diagnosing-basic-problems-with-DirectX
The info i got :
Some applications and games require DirectX 9. However, Windows 7 is installed with a more recent version of DirectX. If you install an application or game that requires DirectX 9, you might receive an error message, such as: "The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." The last two digits of the file name might vary. If you receive the same error message after reinstalling the application or game, go to the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer webpage and follow the instructions to install DirectX 9 and receive updates to DirectX 9 and previous versions of DirectX.
.. well i followed the instructions.. and now MC17 works in Theater View !!
btw .. mc17 is a great piece of sw

just my 2c

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:34:22 pm »

Thanks.  And thanks for posting that.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:20:01 am »

Ahhh... Good point.  I install games on basically all of my machines (at least Steam from ninite, if nothing else) which would make sure I always have the full DirectX, so I'd never noticed this.  The two machines at the office where I have MC installed with no games at all (my server and my video wall system) happen to have other 3D software that probably handled the dependancy (or maybe our IT department just includes DX9 as part of their standard install).

If MC requires DX9, it should detect its presence on Win7 installation, and prompt the user to install the runtime if needed.  I don't think it needs to be a fancy auto-installing prompt like some games use (which are often annoying).  Something like this would suffice:

"You may not have the full suite of DirectX runtimes necessary for MC to run.  Please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=159853 for further details."
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:08 pm »

Media Center uses d3dx9_43.dll.

Installation of d3dx9_43.dll in the system folder happens automatically with an install of Media Center.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 12:47:02 pm »

Media Center uses d3dx9_43.dll.

Installation of d3dx9_43.dll in the system folder happens automatically with an install of Media Center.

I wonder if any of these people are using one of those "safe installer" thingy-ma-bobs to install MC in the first place, which is preventing direct writing to the System directory?
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

lowjoel

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:15 pm »

If this were caused by a missing DLL, then shouldn't the problem be 100% reproducible? I remember there was a similar thread earlier and we all agreed that this was an intermittent problem; a fix in one of the earlier builds where a race condition was fixed kinda reduced the extent of the problem.

HiFiTubes

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 01:02:52 pm »

I wonder if any of these people are using one of those "safe installer" thingy-ma-bobs to install MC in the first place, which is preventing direct writing to the System directory?

Same issue. May have been Nod32 on this new build, not sure. Placing that dx9 file in system fixed it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up