INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rip Music from MC17 Client to MC17 Networked Library (located on server)  (Read 3602 times)

jacky

• World Citizen

Rip Music from MC17 Client to MC17 Networked Library (located on server)

Is it possible with MC17?

Will it be?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Rip Music to Networked Library
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:10:22 pm »

It is.  You have to set a login and password on the server (authentication) to be able to "sync" back to the server.

There are a couple of threads here on this.  Try searching for "authentication".

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 06:18:19 pm »

Is it not possible with MC16 ?  I am certain I have Sync checkbox checked.  But in MC16 (with Authentication set), it says something like, "can't rip to Network Library or Party Mode"

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 07:43:53 pm »

It might only be in MC17.  You could read the release notes.  See Alex B's signature for a complete list.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 07:57:45 pm »

I've checked the MC17 revision logs:  http://mc-changelog-beta.blogspot.com/

Searched using keywords "rip " or "network" and none of the returned entries are relevant to the issue of ripping CD from Client MC17 to Server MC17.

Please advise.

thx

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:22:16 pm »

can anyone plz confirm whether this works or not?  thx

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Rip Music from MC17 Client to MC17 Networked Library (located on server)
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:14:43 pm »

If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll give it a try on MC17.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:50:34 pm »

I tried ripping a CD from a library server client to the library server.  Immediately a dialog appears that says:

Please ensure that a suitable CD/DVD drive is installed on this machine.
 Also, make sure you are using a local library and are not in Party Mode.

The drive rips fine with a local library, MC is not in Party Mode, so we can assume from this message that ripping via a library server client does not work (only local libraries are supported).

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 06:06:57 pm »

darn, Please implement this feature...

I am using the MC Server on a headless (no monitor) server machine in a storage room, (that also serves MS Exchange, User Profiles).  

No one except me has physical access to this machine (nor would I want them to)

Please implement this feature for LAN with common network paths (between Server and Client)

I will upgrade to MC17 in a heart beat once it's there.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 06:13:15 pm »

You could use this partial workaround.

On the client, switch to a local library.

Set your File Location paths to point to the same location as used by your library server (I use a global M: path, appropriately (network) mapped on server and client machines).

Now, you can insert the CD, configure the track info, and rip away.  Your tracks will appear in the server's directory, for which I assume you have auto-import configured.  Soon after, auto-import on the server should pick up the new tracks and will import appropriately.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »

thanks for the tips,

unfortunately that's not quite going to do it.

I am the only person that is technically savvy enough to manage this system in the house, but not the main user of it.

The main users are computer novices, and would have a heck of a time doing what you suggest.

Involves:
0.) Understand the concept of library
1.)Switch to Local Library
--Manage Library
--Load Local Library
2.)Insert Disc
3.)Rip
4.)Switch to Network Library
--hope it picked it up so fast
--Manage Library
--Load Network Library

That's not to mention, we actually don't use Auto-Import since I want to ensure nothing unintentional gets picked up from the Auto-Import Folders, (ie: if a file is misplaced in the Auto-Import folders, or other unwanted exclusions)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 06:59:28 pm »

If Jim thinks it already works, then clearly it is either:

a) supposed to be working already and something broke
b) on their priority list and Jim is living in the future (you know, or drinking too much wine beer)

Either way, I'd say chances are good that it'll be fixed.

I'd been meaning to test this for you myself, but honest-to-goodness I couldn't find any CDs to test it with.  I have one now, but you seem to have gotten the answer...
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 08:03:50 pm »

Jim, gotta stop holding out on the good beer on the rest of us!   :P

Hope you weigh in on this issue soon.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 09:02:04 pm »

bump

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 03:53:29 pm »

I don't think this is supported yet.

You can work around it by using a common mapped network drive, ripping to it, and letting auto-import on the server find the tracks.  However, this isn't the best solution since it only works on a LAN and setup is kind of complicated.

Uploading new content back to the server is something I'd like to see us support, including ripping, cameras, downloads, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 07:13:14 pm »

Mapped Drive Paths are already common across computers.

Unfortunately, it's too late to turn on Auto-Import now.  I don't know how many undesirable files are sitting in the general music folders.

Up til now, everything is ripped within MC or manually imported (in the case of downloaded files)

If I set auto-import, I'll have to manually remove countless extraneous files (things I want to keep in the HD but not in the library) that gets auto-imported. :(

This is going to be a PITA

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2012, 08:34:44 pm »

Could you set Auto-Import to import only from a dedicated separate "rip location"?

You could leave the ripped files there until your next maintenance session. The server would serve them as well from this temporary location. You could also create a playlist group labeled e.g. "for the administrator only" and in there a smartlist that shows only the newly ripped files to make organizing them easier.

For ripping you could create a separate portable install of MC on each machine and instruct the users to click the shiny red "Rip" icon that you have placed on the desktop. :)

This portable install could have a different skin, heavily modified minimal views, and its startup location setting could be "Last Location" (usually the CD drive view) to avoid any confusion between the MC instances. The "allow multiple instances" option would make possible to even play from the server and rip simultaneously. If its Auto-Import is set to run in background it can automatically remove the excess files from the database after you have moved them or you can set the desktop icon run a bat file that replaces its library with an empty default library before starting the program.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MrC

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 10:32:55 pm »

Mapped Drive Paths are already common across computers.

Unfortunately, it's too late to turn on Auto-Import now.  I don't know how many undesirable files are sitting in the general music folders.

Up til now, everything is ripped within MC or manually imported (in the case of downloaded files)

If I set auto-import, I'll have to manually remove countless extraneous files (things I want to keep in the HD but not in the library) that gets auto-imported. :(

This is going to be a PITA

Honestly... it's not difficult to do this, and is pretty quick.  You add the auto-import folders, letting it run auto-import.  Then, create a simple file list view showing the Date Imported field as a column, and sort by that column.  If you delete all the items just imported (which presumably would be the ones you *don't want*, you can remove them from MC's library in one shot.  MC will remember these deleted items by default and not re-import.

If you see patterns to things you want to exclude, that are being included, tailor your auto-import rules to avoid these items.

This should take 5 minutes.

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 09:44:48 am »

Honestly... it's not difficult to do this, and is pretty quick.  You add the auto-import folders, letting it run auto-import.  Then, create a simple file list view showing the Date Imported field as a column, and sort by that column.  If you delete all the items just imported (which presumably would be the ones you *don't want*, you can remove them from MC's library in one shot.  MC will remember these deleted items by default and not re-import.

If you see patterns to things you want to exclude, that are being included, tailor your auto-import rules to avoid these items.

This should take 5 minutes.

Yes, I think that might work.  Thanks, I hope we'll have a more seamless solution with the server application soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up