INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing external drives with MKV's - cover art and naming problem  (Read 3253 times)

nafai23

In addition to my blurays I have a small collection of mkv's I have ripped on an external drive or two.

I am looking forward to purchasing the software this week when I get my new HTPC but as of now I cannot seem to get the logic behind getting cover art in manually to stay. I tried a user plug in for this and it was so far from bring intuitive I gave up.
Also the software is always randomly trying to import things from my hard drive.

I just want a nice neat catalog of the 50 or mkv's on the drive with cover art. The drive shows up in many places....under video, under disk in theater view, under devices, etc etc  I used the import function but it only imported two of the files?!

I just added some manually and when I switched views the jpg files were in the folder with the cover art.

I love the video quality on player just frustrating getting a single drive to show up in videos with cover art and proper names. I can't imagine organizing a large library of music and video.

Any advice?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Welcome to the forum.  Here's how import works:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

nafai23

So by default it just gets everything...?

Ive change the settings to include just my drive but I have photos popping of from all over the place. Some I did not even know I still had around.

My library is just one big mess of media that i do not want in there.

rick.ca

The Auto-Import configuration allows you to specify exactly what file types are to be imported—for however many folders you need to configure. The easiest scenario is that all the media you want in the Library is found in root folders for each Media Type (i.e., Audio, Images, Video). Each of those folders can then be configured so only the desired file types are imported. If your media is not organized that way—or it's on a number of different drives—it just means you'll have more folders to configure.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
Re: Organizing external drives with MKV's - cover art and naming problem
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 11:13:04 am »

Ive change the settings to include just my drive but I have photos popping of from all over the place. Some I did not even know I still had around.

My library is just one big mess of media that i do not want in there.

To me, this is one of the big benefits of MC.  It helps you find everything you have, and with a bit of practice/reading/searching, you can use MC to "correct" all of this for you.

If you have images in a video folder, for example, you can use "Rename, Move & Copy..." to move them to a new/proper location.  Or, you can delete stuff you didn't know you still had, and don't want anymore.

It's a bit overwhelming at first, but MC is so powerful, it can/will help you get your stuff much better organized.

As rick.ca said, you can control what gets imported, if you just don't want to see it at all; but I prefer to import pretty much everything, then organize it in a way that is useful to me.

View Schemes are your friend! :) :)

In any view scheme, if you right-click a column header, you can add a category, and on the very left of that window, the second "dot" down is for "File path" and it will show you an "explorer" type view of your files, which allows you to easily see where the selected file(s) is(are) stored in your network.  This is something I add to almost every view, because it's so helpful to me.  I might have music in a "good" location and a "needs processed" location, and this column lets me easily see which files are in which location.
pretend this is something funny

globetrotters1

Re: Organizing external drives with MKV's - cover art and naming problem
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

I can't imagine organizing a large library of music and video.

Any advice?

JRiver Media Center is by far the best program around in its class! And if you talk about a large library we can ease your mind, we have roughly 400'000 music tracks and close to 3'000 movies on our server and the program is able to handle those... but we agree with you, it needs some time and work to bring them into your preferred view schemes!

No other media center program offers you such a flexibility!

Good luck!
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up