INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: License problem  (Read 2239 times)

joethebus

• Recent member
License problem
« on: January 15, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

I have had the trial version of JRiver on my PC for a little while now; I was hoping to be able to try it out over Christmas but got descended upon by my family like you do and what with one thing and another I haven't had the time to give it the attention it deserves and now of course the trial has run out so the internet information retrieval side of it won't work.

Thinking oh well I'll buy a copy, I was intending to do that anyway, I paid the fee to get all the features working. I figured I'd then be able to see how well I could drive it and what it would do. Actually I was quite looking forward to spending the evening getting to grips with it and sorting out some shortcomings of my tagging and filing in general.

I paid my dollars and the program closed down forthwith; there is now no way to get into it to do anything in general, and no way to installl the code I just bought.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver isn't working at all for me
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »

Sorry for your experience - this is definitely not the typical experience for a new user. Usually, purchasing of MC works just fine.

If you could elaborate as to what happens now when you try to launch MC17, maybe some of us can help you?

Osho

joethebus

• Recent member
Re: JRiver isn't working at all for me
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 04:23:09 pm »

When I click on the icon I get a JRiver logo that comes up in a box telling me my 30 day trial period has expired. Options in that box are please purchaes (I already have), more information (I get the information page), Purchase, restore, extend trial.

Wherever I try to enter JRiver, that box comes up.

I have an email with install key - but there's no keyhole for the key and that's my problem.

Joe

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: License problem
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 04:27:09 pm »

The Install Key is only good for 14 days.

The Restore Key lasts forever.

So use your Registration Code on the Restore Page, using IE.

This is explained in detail in the "Purchase" link above.

If you get stuck, please post details about where and what happened.  Don't post your Registration Code.

joethebus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 06:11:01 pm »

Thank you for your response, Jim.

It probably isn't great that this intercourse is going on in such a public place - but in the absence of an email addy I have to respond here, so here goes. I bought my license three hours or so ago by the way, not over fourteen days - I received confirmation earlier this evening ...

"19 January 2012 20.34

Thank you for your purchase of Media Center 17 from JRiver, Inc. for $49.98.

Your Registration Code is BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH-BLAH.
This is your permanent proof of purchase. Print this e-mail now and keep it in a safe place. "

I have tried to use the code using IE as your instructions suggest but got the message ...

"Error

We could not find that license" ...

That's as far as I have managed to get. In the meantime I received an email from a guy in NSW ...

"Hi

I wonder if you can help me. I have recently purchased the licence for the JRiver MC17. I notice you are also a recent JRiver member. I tried to understand their instructions of the restore and install key functions, but I have not been able to fully grasp how it works. Every 2 weeks I get a small window that pops up that asks me if I want to restore. If I press the no tab in that window then I cannot get access to my MC17, but if I press yes then I can. But then I get an email from JRiver that informs my number of 10 restores reduces by one. I am using only the same one computer to access my MC17. JRiver only gives 10 restores to use in 12 months. When I purchased the MC17 license for $50 I thought that would give me unlimited use of the MC17 if I used it on the same computer. However the way it seems to be going at the moment I might only get 20 weeks use and will have to pay again...

Do you know anything about this matter that could help me

Regards
Steven "

... despite checking a box saying I didn't want my email address published.

I have his email address obviously but would prefer not to put it up here.

I don't imagine for a millisecond that you're going to take my word for it, but I think your admin needs sorting out, and that you need to think about treating your customers with a bit of respect. Just editing complaints doesn't really address the issues, does it?

I don't know where to go from here, I started the evening thinking that by this time I'd be well into getting my head around some new software I've read a lot about and have been really looking forward to using. My rather tongue in cheek first post was a plea for help. Surely there's a way you can unblock me so I can enjoy the JRiver experience?

I'm assuming you can get in touch by finding my email address through your membership records. I'll be more that happy to continue this discussion/therapy session by email if you are happy to do so and wonder whether I might forward Steven's email on to you as I don't think I'm the best person to help him!

With best wishes

Joe

BillT

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:45:49 am »

The email should have a small attachment called something like "MediaCenter17 xxxxx.mjr". Save that file somewhere.

In the restore licence dialogue box select restore from file and choose the .mjr file you've just saved.

Double clicking on the file is supposed to install the key as well.

joethebus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:04:48 am »

Dear BillT

You are a star, Sir, thank you for your help.

And thank you too, JimH, for your email telling me that Firefox mangles the suffix on the key rendering it useless.

I found the little attachment you mentioned in my initial acknowledgement email - which didn't work of course because I receive my emails on a different computer. Perhaps I'm the only person in the world who uses a media computer which is not the everyday office one?

Anyway I went into my email account using the media computer (using Firefox - Durhhh) then Internet Explorer and hey presto the key worked automatically as it is supposed to.

Thanks again for the help - shame the procedure isn't just a little bit more robust/idiot proof.

I hope I shall now be able to settle down and enjoy JRiver without any more problems.

Joe

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 06:50:32 am »

Glad you got it working. You got past step one.  ;D
But you will have more problems - its a complicated and powerful program - with minimal instructions :(
However, this forum is here to guide you. Don't be shy about asking questions. Don't get too fustrated, and don't give up. It's worth all the effort.
Enjoy

sblochie

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:25:15 am »

I saved my Install Key attachment onto my PC and double clicked on it, but i get a message box that says that my MC17 already exists. So this suggestion has not worked for me and i still get every 2 weeks a box message asking if i want to restore and if i say no then i cannot continue to use my MC17, but if i say yes then i can. But the problem is that i have to give up one restore out of the 10 i started off with. Which means that after 20 weeks i will not be able to use my MC17 any longer.......

How do i solve this problem? I thought i would have unlimited use of my MC17 if i use it on the same one PC??

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 06:41:24 am »

Something is not allowing MC to write to the registry when you do a restore.  Probably some "security" software.  This is not normal.

Don't worry about losing the restores.  We can fix that.

Try reading about other license issues here, starting with the "Weird Problems" thread (linked from my signature).

Use IE when you restore.

sblochie

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 03:28:36 pm »

When i double click on my MC17 icon saved onto my desktop  that came from the email attachment "MediaCenter17 xxxxx.mjr". , i get the MC17 to open up and work after i press the OK  tab that is in a small message box that pops up saying "License for Media Center was successfully installed!" . So all good at that point. The problem only arises 2 weeks later when i get a new small message box that asks me if I want to restore. If I press the NO tab in that window then I cannot get access to my MC17, but if I press the YES tab then I can. But then I immediately get an email from JRiver that informs that my number of 10 restores reduces by one. I am using only the same one computer to access my MC17. So because i only have 10 restores after 20 weeks i will no longer be able to get my MC17 to work.

JimH says in his reply not to worry about losing restores as that can be fixed. How??

I will also read the 'Wierd Problems" thread to see if i can find a solution there...

I use IE which opens up by default every time i double click on my MC17 and i get the following IE page opening......

"A license for your JRiver software has been automatically installed. You will see instructions for installing it on other computers in a separate browser window (probably behind this one). To save it, right click on the link and use the "Save As" option.

If you have any questions or want more information about your software, please visit the following link:
 Interact Forum - For support, news and user interaction. "

So i have now explained everything in fine detail and hope i can get a solution to fix this problem....................

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 03:30:27 pm »

I just answered your other post:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69271.msg466413#msg466413

Please use one thread.

Harley Softail

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 07:44:43 am »

Hello all, I purchased MC 17 and it is working fine thanks to your team's help. However by tinkering my HTPC i am faced with the issue of re building from scratch the HTPC several times.

Every time this happens i need to restore my license. Can i not save the license key on my NAS an use it again for my new install?

I normally go to enter my registration key on your website and i get a new MJr which as mentioned lasts for only 15 days.

BTW the last time i did this was on May 16th of this year. Yet when I tried to use this key i was told it expired. Hence I went to the restore process using registration key.

I do not believe that this is the best process one should use. ? :(

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 08:21:58 am »

Hello all, I purchased MC 17 and it is working fine thanks to your team's help. However by tinkering my HTPC i am faced with the issue of re building from scratch the HTPC several times.

Every time this happens i need to restore my license. Can i not save the license key on my NAS an use it again for my new install?

I normally go to enter my registration key on your website and i get a new MJr which as mentioned lasts for only 15 days.

BTW the last time i did this was on May 16th of this year. Yet when I tried to use this key i was told it expired. Hence I went to the restore process using registration key.

I do not believe that this is the best process one should use. ? :(
You might take a look at the Purchase page for details.

Use the full 30 day trial before you do a restore.  This will reduce the number of restores you need to do.

If you run out, let us know.

killerbwiz

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 05:32:17 am »

I just bought media center 17 with Linc. I had to reinstall windows 7. when i go to restore Linc. I enter Linc exactly like it is in email my email has no attachment) it says error   Linc not found  I am copying and pasting  Linc. I had it emailed to me its the same Linc. still does not work I went to pay pal support still it wont accept it. I cant believe this is the support system. are you kidding me. I cant believe you can write something more than you told anyone Else that will help me. why when i enter Linc correct it gives error what are you hoping people will get so frustrated that they will just buy it again.
if you cant fix this with in three days i will ask for refund. your customer support is the worst i have ever seen. you dint know me you cant verify anything you just send post hoping it helps and when it doesn't what we just post back and forth until i want to shoot my self. get help

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 06:50:54 am »

Use IE to restore. 

Some browsers (Opera?) rename the Install Key, changing the .mjr extension to .exe.  Then the license won't install.

Rather than blame JRiver, you might contact the company that makes your browser.
Pages: [1]   Go Up