INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHR Scans but will not "finish"  (Read 4458 times)

ldavies

HDHR Scans but will not "finish"
« on: January 17, 2012, 12:39:11 am »

I just installed the 17.0.64 beta version of MC.  I have the old silicondust dual tuner HDHR on my network.  MC sees the two tuners but when I tell it to channel scan it sees 68 channels and goes through them but at the end it does not allow me to click the "Finish" Button and of course i cannto see any tv.

Any suggestions?

Thx,  Lloyd

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: HDHR Scans but will not "finish"
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 08:26:36 am »

Not sure if this is your problem, but I noticed sometimes the pop-up dialog box needed to finish the TV scan (the box with "Auto Match Channels") comes up behind the main MC TV setup window. I have had this happen several times (but not always). When the Auto Match box is hidden, it appears the setup process has frozen. If you can get to the windows task bar you can minimize MC then the dialog box will be visible.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 08:34:18 am »

Normally you do not need to click Finish button because the dialog window disappears automatically after scanning is done.

One common problem HDHR users encounter is firewall.  You need to make sure your firewall settings are set so that it allows communication between HDHR and Media Center.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

ldavies

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 01:40:14 am »

That was my problem Yaobing.  What I had to do was open up the Windows firewally adn add Media Center 17 as another program.  As a follow up do I need to allow Media Center 17 firewall access to both my home network and the internet?  I would want to to go out and download a program guide.
Thx,  Lloyd

molder72

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:13:46 am »

My too, I installed the 17.0.64, my tv card is "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-4400 DVB-S2 DVB-T PCI Radio", firewall disable , no antivirus installed, windows 7 32 Bit installed. at this moment I have no log files.
The channel scan start end the list channel is populated, but around 60%-70% the windows scan crash end the channel list is empty.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:33:41 am »

My too, I installed the 17.0.64, my tv card is "Hauppauge WinTV HVR-4400 DVB-S2 DVB-T PCI Radio", firewall disable , no antivirus installed, windows 7 32 Bit installed. at this moment I have no log files.
The channel scan start end the list channel is populated, but around 60%-70% the windows scan crash end the channel list is empty.

Molder, yours is a different device. This thread is discussing a network tuner, yours is a PCI-e.

Try rebooting(a full shutdown and hard restart) and trying a channel scan again. You'll find the log at Help->Logging.
If you have any other TV apps installed, then they will at least need to be closed down (and if they have a TV server function, may need uninstalling) because only one program can make use of the tuner at once. Although if you do get some channels coming up in the scan dialog then I guess MC is seeing the Tuner OK.

Some changes to the TV code have been made over the past week or so. You may need a later build.

SBR

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:20 pm »

So I'm trying to do a scan with my HDHR, and I'm not having any luck.  This is on Windows 7, I went in an opened up all the ports for MC in the Windows Firewall just like they were for the HDHR QuickTV, but I'm still getting nothing.  I watched last night when I was trying and I had the HDHR Config app open and I could see the all the channels tune and the qualities show as MC was doing the tune but MC still doesn't find any channels.
The attached log has a couple scans in it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 06:09:55 am »

So I'm trying to do a scan with my HDHR, and I'm not having any luck.  This is on Windows 7, I went in an opened up all the ports for MC in the Windows Firewall just like they were for the HDHR QuickTV, but I'm still getting nothing.  I watched last night when I was trying and I had the HDHR Config app open and I could see the all the channels tune and the qualities show as MC was doing the tune but MC still doesn't find any channels.
The attached log has a couple scans in it.

Make sure you fully enable network traffic for Media Center 17 in your firewall settings.  This is the single problem that other users have experienced with HDHR.

Also, this is too obvious, but I would mention it anyway: since you were trying to scan QAM, make sure you have cable connected.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 06:43:04 am »

Make sure you fully enable network traffic for Media Center 17 in your firewall settings.  This is the single problem that other users have experienced with HDHR.

Did that.

Also, this is too obvious, but I would mention it anyway: since you were trying to scan QAM, make sure you have cable connected.

It works fine in QuickTV, SageTV, and Windows Media Center (specifically all the HDHR apps and WMC on the same machine I'm trying MC on).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 06:49:34 am »

I've seen the "finish" window hidden behind another window sometimes.

HD HomeRun works fine with MC on my network.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 07:31:57 am »

I've seen the "finish" window hidden behind another window sometimes.

HD HomeRun works fine with MC on my network.

I should probably clarify, and maybe should have just started a new topic.  The issue isn't with the window, that seems to be fine, the issue is MC doesn't find any channels even though on the same machine the HDHR config app and WMC do (and SageTV from another machine).

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:41 am »

I confirm HDHR does not work in MC for QAM.  It works for over-the-air channels.  I will look into it.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:11 am »

Alright.  If there's something you want me to test, let me know.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 12:04:55 pm »

I finally figured out something.  For HDHomerun, you need to run its setup program and make a change.

Run HDHomerun Setup.  On Application tab, select "Other: ATSC/QAM" for Main Application, instead of selecting "J River Media Center".  Now you should be able to run ClearQAM in MC17.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 01:33:14 pm »

Is there anything else I need to do, I change the HDHR Setup to "Other: ATSC/QAM", and rescanned for channels then restarted MC17 and did another QAM Standard scan and still found no channels.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 02:20:04 pm »

Did you set tuner type in HDHomerun setup to "Digital Cable"?  I did not mention this because I thought you started out this way already.

I had quite a hard time yesterday to get my other TV tuner (AverMedia M780 PICe) to work in QAM, even though this was the device that was used to develop and test QAM coding in MC.  I thought I might have inadvertently broke the QAM support and started testing older builds in trying to find out what code change broke it.  I tested a few builds, and found it working with build 99.  But then other builds that did not work started working again.  I am still puzzled by this.  Maybe this device needs to be somehow configured to receive QAM.  Having been using it for ATSC for the last few months, it refused to work with QAM, until after I made many tries.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 02:46:21 pm »

Did you set tuner type in HDHomerun setup to "Digital Cable"?  I did not mention this because I thought you started out this way already.

Yup, it's been that way, well since I switched to cable a while back.  The SD app scans and finds channels just fine, but MC17 (current stable build and the .177 beta).  Like I said, the other programs I've tried have no trouble so I know the HDHR is connected and working.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 03:21:44 pm »

The SD app scans and finds channels just fine, but MC17 (current stable build and the .177 beta).
I'm not sure what you're saying.  You're saying that you scan with SiliconDust's software and it works.  Did you also scan in MC?

I'm setting mine up again and I'm seeing a few odd things.  It's as if the HD Homerun tuners are not being released by something.  I'm not sure it's MC or SiliconDust.  But if I reboot, I can use the tuners again.  I can scan in MC.  I'm using OTA.  

If you have an OTA antenna, you might try that, just as a test.

I had a new outdoor antenna installed today and my reception is just about perfect now.

I did have a "catastrophic failure" message when I tried watching something live while another show was being recorded.  I ended up trying a scan of the second tuner on the HD Homerun and that or something else I did cured it.  It works now.

I really appreciate your efforts, Stanger.  I'm sorry it's not going more smoothly.  I wish I had a way to test QAM but I don't have cable.

stanger89

• MC Beta Team
  • Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 05:48:54 pm »

I'm not sure what you're saying.  You're saying that you scan with SiliconDust's software and it works.  Did you also scan in MC?

Yeah, I've successfully scanned and setup this HDHR in SD's software as well as WMC and SageTV (though SageTV was via another machine).  So I know the tuner itself is connected and working, so it's not an issue with the cable connection or something like that, I know I can get a signal.

I'm setting mine up again and I'm seeing a few odd things.  It's as if the HD Homerun tuners are not being released by something.  I'm not sure it's MC or SiliconDust.  But if I reboot, I can use the tuners again.  I can scan in MC.  I'm using OTA.  

So I gave rebooting the PC, and then rescanning a try, but same thing, no channels found.

If you have an OTA antenna, you might try that, just as a test.

I'll see, the antenna is still installed, but I don't have it hooked up anymore.

I really appreciate your efforts, Stanger.  I'm sorry it's not going more smoothly.  I wish I had a way to test QAM but I don't have cable.

No problem, I've enjoyed your SW and your efforts for quite a while, and with SageTV effectively gone (though thankfully still working in the mean time) I'm glad to help other solutions, I guess pick up where they left off.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 10:30:01 am »

Yeah, I've successfully scanned and setup this HDHR in SD's software as well as WMC and SageTV (though SageTV was via another machine).  So I know the tuner itself is connected and working, so it's not an issue with the cable connection or something like that, I know I can get a signal.

Would you be interested testing an experimental TV DLL?  I am not sure whether I should use tuning space "ATSCCable" or tuning space "ClearQAM".  Both ways work fine on my computers, using HDHomerun so I am not sure if it will make any difference on your computers.  I will email you the DLL if you would like to test.

yaobing at jriver dot com

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »

Having the same issue with my HomeRun HD.  It work fine under Win 7x64 WMC and in the HD HR test software but can not find any channels when scanning under MC17. I just installed the eval version so it is the newest.

Did the new .dll help?

Thanks
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 09:20:28 pm »

Hi all.  I'm running MC17.0.182 on win 7 64 bit, and found this thread and was thrilled that I wasn't the only person out here beating my head against the wall trying to tune QAM.

I originally tried OTA antenna, and was able to get SDHR scanned and working in MC17, but my reception wasn't sufficient, so I'm switching to cable.

Yaobing: your suggestion of opening up the firewall and switching the application in the SiliconDust software to "other ATSC/QAM" has worked for at least one of my computers (Dell laptop, currently scanning and has found 72 channels).  I'll test it out on my other computers as well and see if they have any troubles.

Related question: I don't understand the choices under the different kinds of QAM.  I think i did a Standard QAM scan, but what is the QAM HRC 3+ or whatever those other options are?

Anyway, let us know if you find any really bulletproof fix.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 09:36:55 am »

Did the new .dll help?

It was never tested outside of my computer.

Related question: I don't understand the choices under the different kinds of QAM.  I think i did a Standard QAM scan, but what is the QAM HRC 3+ or whatever those other options are?

The choices are different frequency line-ups used by cable companies.  Your cable company may know which one they use.  On the other hand, you should just try Standard.  If it does not work as expected, such as not getting some channels that you expect to get, you can try another one.

SpeedD408

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 05:27:25 pm »

Having the same issue with my HomeRun HD.  It work fine under Win 7x64 WMC and in the HD HR test software but can not find any channels when scanning under MC17. I just installed the eval version so it is the newest.

Did the new .dll help?

Thanks

I turned off my Win 7 firewall as my router has a built in firewall as it was extra nonsense.  After turning off the FW, all is well.  The channel changing is slow but it works now.  Any thoughts on why it would take about 4 seconds to change the channel?

Thanks,
Media PC: Ryzen 3900X, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, 16GB RAM, Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0, NVidia 1070 GPU
Software: JRiver MC 26.0.22, AnyDVD HD 8.4.4.0
Audio Processor: Lynx AES16e (FW: 14.1) w/ Aurora 16-VT (FW: 31)
Amp: Emotiva MPS-2
Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL & Horizon w/RAAL and Sierra-2's as surrounds
Sub: Dual Rythmik Audio FV15HP
TV Tuner: HD HomeRun Prime

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 01:29:16 am »

I'm seeing what has frustrated other users.  While I can get the HDHR to scan in JRiver and find some channels using the "Other ATSC/QAM" setting, it misses quite a few channels that are visible in the "HDHR Quick View" application.  And it finds far far fewer channels than a 6 year old LCD TV I have in my house since the Silicondust HDHR only tunes digital channels.  My cable company is phasing out analog channels pretty soon anyway, but nonetheless, I'd like to have all of my digital channels tuned in.

The silicondust HDHR has a lot going for it, particularly the coolness of being able to turn TV on any computer on your LAN.  But it is finicky with JRiver.

I think I will try a Hauppage PCI-E card.  I'm hoping it just works better with MC.  Full digital channel lineup without the fuss that the Silicondust product is giving me.  I'll post next week when I have it up and running.

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 10:17:30 am »

Yaobing - I wonder if MC just should default to a slower channel scan when the SiliconDust HDHR tuner is present.  The tuner seems to take a few seconds to bring in channels, and it could be that the default speed of the channel scan is just a touch too fast so it ends up not adding channels that it otherwise could/should. 

Programs that take more time on each channel during the scan seem to have more success pulling in more channels.

On a related note, for some reason on my MC17 installation on my 1080P sony tv, the option box for a slower channel scan is cutoff and not shown.  I can see it on my laptop, though, so I know it is there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up