INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 problem with achieving unlimited use after my payment of the license  (Read 2127 times)

sblochie

• Recent member

I am a new inexperienced user of JRiver and recently bought the MC17 licence. I activate my MC17 using IE.

However every 2 weeks i get a window that pops up that asks me if I want to restore. If I press the no tab in that window then I cannot get access to my MC17, but if I press yes then I can. But then I receive an email from JRiver that informs me my number of 10 restores has been reduced by one restore. I am using only the same one computer to access my MC17. JRiver only gives 10 restores to use in 12 months. When I purchased the MC17 license for $50 I thought that would give me unlimited use of the MC17 if I used it on the same computer. However because the only way i can get the MC17 to continue to function is for me to give up another restore ever 2 weeks. So, the way this seems to be going at the moment I might only get 20 weeks use and will have to pay again..........and $50 every 20 weeks is too expensive

I believe i should be getting unlimited use of the MC17 on the same one computer for my $50 payment............

Do you know anything about this problem and know of a solution that can help me?

Steven

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe

Did you install the Install Key when it was emailed to you? When you get the email you need to save the file on your PC and double click it. It should then register.

See also

http://www.jriver.com/purchase.html

SBR

sblochie

• Recent member

Hi.

Yes and if i try to do so again i get a window message pop up that says

'Media Center 17 already exists. Do you want to replace it?" YES/NO

So i seem to be doing that correctly............so thats why i cannot understand why i need to give up a restore every 2 weeks to keep my MC17 working on the same one computer??

Sandy B Ridge

And you are installing the .mjr install key file each time? Not the Media Center 17 install .exe?

If that's the case I'm stumped.

SBR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Did you install the Install Key when it was emailed to you? When you get the email you need to save the file on your PC and double click it. It should then register.
That should happen automatically when you purchase or restore. 

sblochie

• Recent member

This is the step by step process i do...........

After i purchased the MC17 i had the MC17 icon saved onto my desktop and when I double click on it i get the small information box pop up that says "License for MC was successfully installed! ..and when i press the OK tab in that box i get the MC17 working.....so no problem there. However, every 2 weeks later when i try double click on the MC icon again i then get a different small message box pop up that asks me if I want to restore  YES/NO. If I press the no tab in that window then I cannot get access to my MC17, but if I press the yes tab then I can get the MC17 to work again as before. But then the problem is that I receive an email from JRiver that informs me that my number of 10 restores has been reduced by one restore. So the problem is that after 20 weeks i will have no restores left to use to get my MC17 to work again.

The MC17 icon that i have saved on my desktop came from the email attachment which i assume is the Install Key. That attachment received was named Media Center 17-XXXXXX.mjr (1KB)......(I have used X's instead of the numbers in case i am not supposed to disclose them over here?)

So, what can you suggest i try do to prevent my restores reducing from 10 to zero over 20 weeks after which i will no longer have any restores left to be able to use my MC17?? Surely if i am using the MC17 on just the one same computer i should have unlimited use of the MC17 license and not be giving up one restore every 2 weeks in order to get it to work??

JimH

• Administrator

After i purchased the MC17 i had the MC17 icon saved onto my desktop and when I double click on it i get the small information box pop up that says "License for MC was successfully installed!
That sounds like you're clicking on the mjr file (Install Key) instead of the exe shortcut.
..and when i press the OK tab in that box i get the MC17 working.....so no problem there. However, every 2 weeks later when i try double click on the MC icon again i then get a different small message box pop up that asks me if I want to restore  YES/NO.
The Install Key is only good for 14 days, so that's what you would expect.  Delete it from your desktop.
If I press the no tab in that window then I cannot get access to my MC17, but if I press the yes tab then I can get the MC17 to work again as before. But then the problem is that I receive an email from JRiver that informs me that my number of 10 restores has been reduced by one restore. So the problem is that after 20 weeks i will have no restores left to use to get my MC17 to work again.
I've said before that we can fix that.

The MC17 icon that i have saved on my desktop came from the email attachment which i assume is the Install Key. That attachment received was named Media Center 17-XXXXXX.mjr (1KB)......(I have used X's instead of the numbers in case i am not supposed to disclose them over here?)
Delete it from your desktop.

sblochie

• Recent member

JimH

Ok i will delete the MC17 off my desktop. But if i delete the MC17 icon off from my desktop then what do i click on now to open up my MC17? I have nothing else to click on??

Thanks for your offer to fix my number of restores....

JimH

• Administrator

If you reinstall, MC will put an icon on your desktop.  Or you can open Start/JRiver and right click on Media Center to drag a shortcut to your desktop.  Try Google if you need more details.

sblochie

• Recent member

When i look at Start/All Program/JRiver......... i only have a JRiver MC16 folder with a MC16 icon at that location to drag as a shortcut? So i dont know why there is no MC17 there ?

How do i reinstall MC17?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC17 problem with achieving unlimited use after my payment of the license
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:32 pm »

Download the installer for the latest build (on this forum board, "stickied" to the top of the board), and run it.  When it asks you during install, choose Custom and make sure that creating Program Shortcuts in the Start Menu and on the Desktop are CHECKED.

Choosing Custom normally shouldn't be necessary, but I've seen the Automatic install not create these shortcuts if you once Custom installed and unchecked them in the past.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

sblochie

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 04:56:43 pm »

JimH

I think we have solved the problem. However when i downloaded i pressed Save and only Run afterwards....but it seems fine now.

I now have a MC17 folder in my Start/All Programs

But I now have two icons on my desktop. ...
The one is a shortcut with a location address of       Media Center 17 (C:\program files\JRiver\MediaCenter 17 )
and the other is not a shortcut called Media Center xxxxxx.exe ( i have used x's in case i am not supposed to disclose those numbers?)

Which one is the correct icon to continue to use on my desktop? What must i do with the other icon?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:21:06 pm »

The second one is the mjr file, probably renamed by your browser (Firefox?).  Delete it.

sblochie

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 05:25:40 pm »

ok, will do

thanks for your help and patience.........much apreciated
Pages: [1]   Go Up