INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray playback, Play disc, ASIO, conditions  (Read 5698 times)

stealth82

• Recent member
Blu-ray playback, Play disc, ASIO, conditions
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:29:55 pm »

Sorry guys, here I am again with new questions. Just to make you feel better I tell you I already bought the program (didn't wait for the 30days to expire).

This time is about Blu-ray playback. Although I'm going to rip every single Blu-ray with MakeMKV I made some tests on the fly with the original discs. I started with Star Wars.

For the record I'm using an Asus Xonar ST + H6 in ASIO mode.

The very first time I played it Media Center was able to launch it but then I suddenly noticed something wasn't working properly: the center and sub channel were switched with my side speakers. I remember I toggled an option on the audio playback options panel regarding that thing: from none to switch center/ sub with SF/SR because of all the files I had played till that moment were having this issue that now Star Wars is giving me.

Just to check I toggled off the option in order to see if that would have fixed the Star Wars - obviously that is not a solution, I don't want to toggle that options according to the movies that give me that problem, and again, for the record, only SW is giving me this problem. Anyway, switching back didn't fix anything. SW disk is simply ignoring the option and the center channel is playing into my side left speaker. Does anybody have an explanation for that?

I also switched from ASIO to WASAPI and the problem disappeared. I didn't have a single playback problem while using WASAPI but I would really like to stick to ASIO if possible.

I said "the very first time" earlier: the second problem is related to the blu-ray "play disk" action. A part from 3/4 times I used it all the others made the Media Center crash abruptly ( the Windows error message said the problem was related to a lib bd dll (I don't recall the exact name at the moment, sorry).

Third question: in order to use dtsdecoderdll.dll effectively do I have to have TMT properly installed? I was thinking about not installing it anymore.

Last question: when playing Blu-rays CoreAVC doesn't kick in even though I'm sure the condition for the codec is correct. I checked with MediaInfo and the codec is AVC. The only difference when compare with ripped move is that the ID info for the Blu-ray reads 4113 instead of 1. Should I have to write AVC4113? It doesn't seem quite right...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Blu-ray playback, Play disc, ASIO, conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 05:42:21 pm »

In DSP Studio > Output Format, be sure to select the correct number of channels that you're using.  Star Wars might be 6.1, so you need to let JRSS convert it for your speaker configuration.

For native Blu-ray, you need a reader:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:29:35 pm »

There are numerous reports of problems with the audio on the "Star Wars" movies over at AVS. See http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1360886&highlight=star+wars - as an example.

Regarding the dtsdecoderdll file, you just need to copy it to the Windows System32 folder. You don't need the TMT program - just the file.

Maybe consider ripping your BDs to M2TS format (the native format of BD). I use the free Clown_BD program (from Slysoft) and have no issues with playback, subtitles, or anything. I only use MakeMKV for ripping my DVDs.

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:06:05 am »

In DSP Studio > Output Format, be sure to select the correct number of channels that you're using.  Star Wars might be 6.1, so you need to let JRSS convert it for your speaker configuration.
Thanks Matt for your infinite JRiver wisdom and kindness in replying to my newbie's silly questions.
That was it. Even without enabling JRSS, but by just specifying the right number of channels I solved the problem.

For native Blu-ray, you need a reader:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Blu-ray
What do you mean with that? Isn't Media Center able to play blu-ray main streams?
I mean, I don't give a darn about menus and everything, I'm perfectly fine with just playing the main feature from the disc. And I'm sure it worked a half dozen of times. It is just that it crashes more than often. If you say that that is normal and I need another BD software player it's fine by me. I just want to be sure.
Have the options I set in AnyDVD any part in making it crash or not?

Quote from: CountryBumkin
Regarding the dtsdecoderdll file, you just need to copy it to the Windows System32 folder. You don't need the TMT program - just the file.
Thanks for the info ;)

Quote from: CountryBumkin
Maybe consider ripping your BDs to M2TS format (the native format of BD). I use the free Clown_BD program (from Slysoft) and have no issues with playback, subtitles, or anything. I only use MakeMKV for ripping my DVDs.
That is not the problem. My mkvs ripped with MakeMKV work perfectly. I prefer that format because I'm able to stream it over the network by means of Plex Media Server and serve them to all of my Apple devices.

Any hint about the right condition to input for making CoreAVC work when playing directly from a blu-ray?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:52:14 am »

What do you mean with that? Isn't Media Center able to play blu-ray main streams?
I mean, I don't give a darn about menus and everything, I'm perfectly fine with just playing the main feature from the disc. And I'm sure it worked a half dozen of times. It is just that it crashes more than often. If you say that that is normal and I need another BD software player it's fine by me. I just want to be sure.
Have the options I set in AnyDVD any part in making it crash or not?
Thanks for the info ;)

If you have ripped your BD with AnyDVD HD you don't need anything else to play it (as AnyDVD will have already removed the copy protection). If you are playing from a BD disk you just need AnyDVD running on the computer. There are no settings in AnyDVD that I am aware of that would cause your computer to crash. Something else is going on if you are getting crashes. Do you have anything installed "outside" of MC (like a different version of LAV filters or Shark007, etc. that could be interferring)? If not you may want to do a clean install.

I don't know why you want CoreAVC (please educate me). If your system can run RO+HQ (Lav with MadVR) you have the best playback quality already. What does CoreAVC bring to the table?
Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:56:31 am »

Even without enabling JRSS, but by just specifying the right number of channels I solved the problem.

I'd recommend leaving JRSS enabled, or else extra channels get dropped instead of mixed in.

I mean, I don't give a darn about menus and everything, I'm perfectly fine with just playing the main feature from the disc. And I'm sure it worked a half dozen of times. It is just that it crashes more than often.

This isn't normal.  Try Red October Standard in Options > Video.  Toggle hardware acceleration.  Update video drivers.

If it still crashes, please use Help > Logging to get a crash log.

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 12:30:33 pm »

If you have ripped your BD with AnyDVD HD you don't need anything else to play it (as AnyDVD will have already removed the copy protection). If you are playing from a BD disk you just need AnyDVD running on the computer. There are no settings in AnyDVD that I am aware of that would cause your computer to crash. Something else is going on if you are getting crashes. Do you have anything installed "outside" of MC (like a different version of LAV filters or Shark007, etc. that could be interferring)? If not you may want to do a clean install.

If it already wasn't, I want to make clear that it's not my whole computer that's crashing, just MC :D
Excluding drivers, MC, CoreAVC, iTunes and some utilities (EventGhost, LCDSmartie, RealVNC server, AirMouse, Virtual CloneDrive) nothing else is installed on my HTPC. And the day before yesterday I changed my regular HD for a SSD installing everything from scratch. I totally exclude I messed up with software installation.

I don't know why you want CoreAVC (please educate me). If your system can run RO+HQ (Lav with MadVR) you have the best playback quality already. What does CoreAVC bring to the table?

Performance-wise CoreAVC is unbeatable: I get 8%-17% cpu usage with it, some more without it (ROHQ in both cases). Besides that, I do believe CoreAVC is superior - be the difference little or big - to any other codec quality-wise.

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 12:46:49 pm »

I'd recommend leaving JRSS enabled, or else extra channels get dropped instead of mixed in.

Alright, but that brings a side effect: when listening to music that gets upmixed and I don't want that.
Could I maybe just mix to 2.1 for Stereo sources and set the subwoofer to Silent? Is it correct?
Am I somehow messing what a correct classic Stereo listening should be by doing that way?

This isn't normal.  Try Red October Standard in Options > Video.  Toggle hardware acceleration.  Update video drivers.

If it still crashes, please use Help > Logging to get a crash log.

Strange. I played with the options a bit. Toggled the hardware accelation a couple of times as you said and now it works (ROHQ, HW acceleration if possible, CoreAVC). Sorry for having bothered you about that :-[

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 01:22:51 pm »

Strange. I played with the options a bit. Toggled the hardware accelation a couple of times as you said and now it works (ROHQ, HW acceleration if possible, CoreAVC). Sorry for having bothered you about that :-[
Well, I talked too quick...

This is the Windows error

Code: [Select]
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Media Center 17.exe
  Application Version: 17.0.71.0
  Application Timestamp: 4f18a31a
  Fault Module Name: libbluray.dll
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4f08b776
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 00003380
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

This is MC log: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2777693/MC17.txt

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 06:30:21 am »

Is there anything else I can provide you with to track down the problem?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08:20 am »

Is there anything else I can provide you with to track down the problem?

Is it particular to certain Blu-ray discs?

If so, could you package up everything except the big media files in the Blu-ray folder and mail it to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:14:37 pm »

I made further tests. It happens with some discs, not all.

I sent you an email containing the link to one of those that crash every time.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 03:43:11 pm »

For some reason that link to the BD files you provided isn't working currently, I get an error (5xx) at dropbox.  Could you see if it works for you and re-send a link to johnt at jriver dot com?  Thanks.

Maybe the justice department pulled the plug  :o
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 03:50:53 pm »

Uh-oh, i see a mail in my inbox in the near future.

Also, it seems like the OP never clarified if he has AnyDVD or similar? I never really tested it on a still encrypted disc, its quite certainly possible that it will just crash.
I should try it. :)

To actually contribute anything remotely useful:
All H264 decoders have the same exact quality, unless there is a bug. CoreAVC may be faster (at least in software decoding mode), but it most certainly has no better quality, but also no worse quality. :)

PS:
It would actually be possible to play discs without AnyDVD, but you need two things: a copy of libaacs.dll, and a key file. Shipping the binary dll might already be a gray area, the key file most certainly crosses into black.
VLC offers the same support, and lets every user find these things on their own if they really want it.

(Also only works against AACS, not BD+ protections)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

JohnT

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »

Uh-oh, do you hear anyone pounding on your front door nev?   8)

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 05:06:29 pm »

For some reason that link to the BD files you provided isn't working currently, I get an error (5xx) at dropbox.  Could you see if it works for you and re-send a link to johnt at jriver dot com?  Thanks.

All right. I sent you another link.

Maybe the justice department pulled the plug  :o

What for? The archive contains only useless files ;D

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 08:01:14 am »

What for? The archive contains only useless files ;D
The lawyers aren't always too careful about such things.  ;)

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 06:19:26 am »

Any news on this side? I received an email telling me you were able to reproduce the issue.

Just curious to know if and when a fix will be released. In the last days I saw many new versions being published but no one addressing the issue.

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:43 am »

This was fixed in the new LAV filters version 45 which is included in the current Media Center build.  Let us know if it's still not working for you.

stealth82

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:28 am »

Yes it works!! :D

I didn't get the fact that by updating LAV filters my problem would have been solved. It was!

Thank you so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up