INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Starting Out  (Read 1095 times)

Jason36

• Recent member
Just Starting Out
« on: February 03, 2012, 04:01:43 am »

Hi Guys,

I have just downloaded the trial copy of JRiver MC17 I want to start using these as its supposed to be pretty good and powerfull Music Centre.

I have been using iTunes for my main library which consists of some itunes downloaded stuff and mainly CD's ripped to Apple lossless and Foobar2k for HiRes FLAC files. these are on a netbook and controlled remotely using monkey mote and apple remote via my iPad. I know just want to use one programme and one remote again using my iPad as the controller.

So far I have imported my iTunes Library however I am having a few problems......MC17 is telling me that some of the files (mainly m4a files) have encountered a problem while tagging and moving and to check the files exist, are not read-only and are not in use by other programs. What does this mean and how can I get round it? I understand that MC17 can have a few problems with albums imported from iTunes.

Also most of the artwork is missing for the albums...some is there but the majority not. Do I have to click on each individual album and ask it to obtain artwork from the internet? I have done this with half a dozen albums, he artwork appears but then when I try and get another album coverart it dissapears?? Is there a way I can ask it to find art work for all albums in one go.....like iTunes does?

DO I need to convert all my Apple Lossless files into another file format for them to wok with MC17....if so whats the best way to do this.

All this before I have even started to configure MC17 to work with my Nuforce uDAC2 and trying to set the outputs etc.

Im really confused and struggling to get this working and looking right.

My Netbook is an Asus running Windows XP.7

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated  :-[

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Just Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 06:29:46 am »

Welcome.  The wiki has a "Getting Started" topic that might be useful.

M4A should be playable.  I'm not sure what the problem is.  Make sure you have the latest MC17.  It's at the top of this board.

ALAC or AIFF files should also work.  Maybe the cover art problem is related.  You could try converting a few to FLAC or APE.

Cover art lookup is normally automatic, but it may take a while to fill in.

Jason36

• Recent member
Re: Just Starting Out
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:08:03 am »

Hi There and thanks for your reply.......

I seem to have sorted the majority of the problems out.......I have managed to import both my itunes files and all my HiRes FLAC files. I have also managed to download using MC17 most of the artwork...I now only have about half a dozen files that dont have artwork attached and I can sort that out fairly easily n due course.

I'm not sure if its just me or not, but the files do seem to sound a lot better played through MC17....maybe its all in my head lol.

I've been trying to optimise the settings for playback via my DAC and seem to be struggling most of the information I can see on here is for Windows 7 and not XP.

I am using a Nuforce uDAC2 at the moment and this is how I have it set up under MC17:

Tools > Options > Audio

Audio Output -
Output Mode set to Direct Sound (I dont believe the uDAC supports ASIO and when I tried the sound was distrorted)
Direct Sound Settings - under device I have it set to uDac2, Channels is default channels

Settings - DSP & Output Format
Sample Rate - I have changed some of these - 48,000Hz & 88,200Hz I have changed the Output to 96,000Hz (I believe becuase my DAC doesnt support 48 and 88.2 it will now upsample these to 96)

Bitdepth - Not sure what to set this at 16 or 24?? at the moment I have left it at 16

Thats pretty much all I have done....anything else at all??

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up