INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 17.0.71 not remembering any settings  (Read 789 times)

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
MC 17.0.71 not remembering any settings
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:22:11 pm »

This is frustrating. I have MC 17.0.71 on a 2nd HTPC streaming movies from my main HTPC (MC 16 final) over my wired home network. For the last several months this 2nd system was set up only to play back my music only files in 2 channel stereo mode. This HTPC runs a COAX digital output (from a Creative Labs X-fi soundcard's digital output) to my Krell pre amp's COAX digital input, and in turn to my Krell's on board DAC's and Dolby Digital processor to do the surround sound decoding. This has worked flawless with my music setup playing music that is incredible. But yesterday I decided to stream movies located on my main HTPC downstairs (this is where my movie library is stored) over to this 2nd HTPC for playback. I can access my movies just fine and even play them back with no issues - MC loads the movies as it should. The problem is they only play in 2 channel stereo - no surround sound. I've checked the correct settings in the config using various methods, ie, "Source number of channels", and "5.1 channels", but MC will not remember these settings. After making the changes and I start a movie playback, the sound is stereo. When I open the config again it shows "2 channel (stereo)" again. Resetting the channels to 5.1 or Source number does not seem like it is sticking. I've tried everything I know how. Is this a glitch? Have others experienced this? Or am I doing something wrong?
BTW, if I use Windows Media Player to play back my movies I do get true surround sound sound from my files. I even went so far as to put a DVD movie into my PC and play it thru MC and also in Windows MC - same thing. Windows MC plays fine in true surround sound but JRiver MC will revert to 2 channel stereo.
 Help!

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
Re: MC 17.0.71 not remembering any settings
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:48:21 pm »

On further testing, I can get my movies to play back in proper surround sound. The problem is that when I set the config for 5.1 channels all my music (which is 2 channel stereo) plays back in Dolby Digital surround sound too. When I set the config for 2 channel playback, my music plays fine but my movies obviously play in stereo too. If I choose "source number of channels" - which is where it should be set to automatically send 2 channels during music playback, and 5.1 channels during movie playback - the setting ALWAYS reverts back to "2 channels (stereo)" in the config!!! It either works in stereo for ALL formats, or works in 5.1 surround sound for ALL formats, but not in the proper source channels. I keep the mixing selection to OFF and select the box that says to check to output surround sound as Dolby Digital S/PDIF.

I've tried different combinations of Output modes like ASIO, or WASAPI, or WASAPI-Event Style, and each will work in different manners. For instance, if I choose ASIO, and in the config I choose "Source number of channels", on playback of music I get the stereo music and stereo movie playback. If I choose WASAPI with Source number of channels I get stereo music playback and stereo movie playback. Checking the config again I see that the previous selection that I made of Source number of channels has reverted back to 2 channels (stereo). If I choose WASAPI- Event style with Source number of channels I get stereo music playback and stero movie playback with the setting reverted back to 2 channels.

If I change the channels to 5.1 I get surround on movies AND music. All furtther testing like above is just reversed - everything plays in surround sound.

What the heck is going on?!?

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up