INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound from Shoutcast and Similar Services  (Read 1587 times)

gandt

• Recent member
Sound from Shoutcast and Similar Services
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:44:17 am »

I know this will turn out to be me but anyway...I am using a windows 7 64 bit pc primarily as a media player. For movies etc I tend to use XBMC which uses the default pc output to an AV amp which is "Samunsung HDMI" - this works via my AV amp. I am though mostly using J River for music at the moment - especially to play back the hi res files my squeezebox wont play - so I have made the sound ouput on J River "realtek digital output" - which is a toslink collection directly to my "audiophile" amp. This also works. But sometimes It'd be convenient to use the external media option to playback some of my favourite Shoutcast radio stations (e.g. Ancient FM) within J River but although it looks like it is playing the stream (when i click on shoutcast and search for "ancient fm" and then press the play button) - I get no sound. I guess this is because the "browser" wants things set up to the other default i.e. hdmi. Any way to get the shoutcast and other streams to use the main audio default like my music files?

Graham

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Sound from Shoutcast and Similar Services
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:46:27 am »

Are you using Shoutcast from within MC?  It's under Audio/Connected.

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:11:43 am »

Well I was trying Shoutcast within MC - but I also tried all the other services - no sound. Could they be defaulting to the wrong sound option? Shoutcast (for example) works (through the usual default) hdmi when i use my regular browser

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:21:50 am »

If you play from a browser (even a browser inside Media Center), the sound gets routed to the default Windows device.

You you play web radio natively (File > Open URL..., etc.) it will use the JRiver audio engine and support zones and non-default devices.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:25:45 am »

OK thats clear enough - any way to make the "J river" browser use the J river designated sound output?

graham

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:33:30 am »

any way to make the "J river" browser use the J river designated sound output?

You have to try to find the actual media URL (or playlist) and play that.  Then you get native playback.

Acting as a virtual soundcard so that we catch all sounds from browsers, games, etc. is something we hope to do someday, but it's not on the short-term horizon.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 02:30:17 pm »

Is there a reason you don't want to just use realtek digital output as system default so it is used by the browser.
Sean

gandt

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:42:21 am »

Is there a reason you don't want to just use realtek digital output as system default so it is used by the browser.

Yes the digital output goes directly to a Lyngdorf TDAi which is a fairly hi end digital amp (but not surround etc) to get a very clean connection for music. The hdmi goes to an AV amp for normal movie file  playback with all the playback trimmings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up