INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ASIO or WASAPI?  (Read 14694 times)

Trond-Eirik

• Junior Woodchuck
ASIO or WASAPI?
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:43:10 am »

I'm using a asus essence st audio card connectedvto my receiver using coax cable. I wantvto deliverva purest possiblebsignal to the receiver.
Asus have a ASIO capable driver.

Is there any reason to use ASIO instead of WASAPI?

regards, tek

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: ASIO or WASAPI?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:05 pm »

I would recommend ASIO.

More here (pay special attention to the note at the bottom):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:10:17 am »

I would recommend ASIO.

More here (pay special attention to the note at the bottom):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

I have the same card and am happily using ASIO. Please note that only with ASIO will the sample rate be automatically changed to match the source - or if you have MC set to upsample, what it upsamples to.

Have you looked into the 'Unified Drivers  http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/? I've been using them for about a year. Some people think they are better than the Asus drivers.

Rod

Z0001

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:15:06 am »

I am interested in this thread as I also have an Asus Xonar Essence ST card and would like to try ASIO drivers. Currently I have set MC to WASAPI Event Style as I have had trouble in the past with ASIO drivers.

Q1. If I download and install the ASIO drivers do I need to uninstall the WASAPI ones?

Q2. Is there a "best practice" protocol for installing Asus ASIO drivers?

Thanks anyone who can help.

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 05:05:11 am »

Hi,

The ASIO drivers are installed when you install the "normal" Xonar drivers, either from Asus or the Unified Drivers.

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 05:12:49 am »

I have the same card and am happily using ASIO. Please note that only with ASIO will the sample rate be automatically changed to match the source - or if you have MC set to upsample, what it upsamples to.

Have you looked into the 'Unified Drivers  http://brainbit.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/? I've been using them for about a year. Some people think they are better than the Asus drivers.

Rod

Could you please share your ASIO MC17 config, for you Xonar Essence ST?

I am trying to use ASIO drivers of my Xonar Essence ST on MC17, either the latest ones from Asus or the Unified ones, but the channels are always are messed up in my 5.1 setup. Tried all combinations on MC17 ASIO setup: offset (0,2,4) and swap channels, without any success.

WASAPI, WASAPI Event Style, and ASIO with ASIO4ALL works fine.

Thanks

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:55 am »

Could you please share your ASIO MC17 config, for you Xonar Essence ST?

I am trying to use ASIO drivers of my Xonar Essence ST on MC17, either the latest ones from Asus or the Unified ones, but the channels are always are messed up in my 5.1 setup. Tried all combinations on MC17 ASIO setup: offset (0,2,4) and swap channels, without any success.

WASAPI, WASAPI Event Style, and ASIO with ASIO4ALL works fine.

Thanks

Hi,

I remember having channel problems too. In MC I have Channel  Offset = 0, Channel Swap C/LFE with SL/SR when playing 5.1 & 7.1. No Channel Swap in Unified Drivers.

I also vaguely remember that I had to swap a couple of the analog output cables to finally make it right. Don't remember which ones and its a rats nest of wires there, but if you need to I could try to trace it out.

I suggest you try the settings I showed above and then use the Test Tones in Room Correction to make a chart of what channel MC plays goes to what speaker. It might help if you have to do the cable swap as I did.

Good luck.

Rod

On Edit:  I just found the thread where my channel swapping issue was solved. It's here  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59168.0

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:39:21 am »

The only way to prevent a Creative Labs X-Fi based card or Asus Xonar card from resampling all incoming audio is to use ASIO and the driver that came with the card. With these cards, WASAPI exclusive will not change the master clock of the card.

Does this apply to Xonar Cards like the Xonar DG with CMI8786 chip?  

Using the native ASIO drivers with the card in SPDIF, whenever scroll (ie: up/down) you hear interference noise from the speakers.  Please let me know, as the refund period is coming up soon

jacky

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:53 am »

The only way to avoid the interference sounds is to use the WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style modes.  

Plus, the ASIO driver would behave improperly when some other program requests sound output during playback in MC.

In fact the ASIO driver wasn't even packaged inside the Xonar DG driver package.  I had to manually copy over the ASIO dll from another package belonging to another Xonar soundcard in order to get the ASIO mode to appear in JR MC.

In short, the native ASIO driver is GARBAGE.  And the custom made unified drivers ones only work in x64 using TEST MODE.  WHAT THE HECK!

So I WOULD REALLY appreciate it if someone could confirm that WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style modes work Bit-Perfectly, with this card Xonar DG (ie: without any resampling)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:03 am »

The only way to avoid the interference sounds is to use the WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style modes.  

So I WOULD REALLY appreciate it if someone could confirm that WASAPI or WASAPI Event Style modes work Bit-Perfectly, with this card Xonar DG (ie: without any resampling)

I can't comment directly on that card but keep in mind that in general using WASAPI will not generally automatically match it's bit rate to the source. So in some cases you could have upsampling and in others downsampling depending on what rate was set for the card. Typically using ASIO will automatically switch bit rates.

Rod

cmbe

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 04:10:18 pm »

Hi,

I remember having channel problems too. In MC I have Channel  Offset = 0, Channel Swap C/LFE with SL/SR when playing 5.1 & 7.1. No Channel Swap in Unified Drivers.

I also vaguely remember that I had to swap a couple of the analog output cables to finally make it right. Don't remember which ones and its a rats nest of wires there, but if you need to I could try to trace it out.

I suggest you try the settings I showed above and then use the Test Tones in Room Correction to make a chart of what channel MC plays goes to what speaker. It might help if you have to do the cable swap as I did.

Good luck.

Rod

On Edit:  I just found the thread where my channel swapping issue was solved. It's here  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59168.0

Great! Thanks :D

That one was tricky.

Everything works perfectly now! The only drawback was that with ASIO there is a lip-sync issue. But it was easily fixed with Video, A/V sync and a 100ms value.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 04:20:48 pm »

Great! Thanks :D

That one was tricky.

Everything works perfectly now! The only drawback was that with ASIO there is a lip-sync issue. But it was easily fixed with Video, A/V sync and a 100ms value.

Glad it worked for you!

Rod

Mark_A_W

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:40:09 am »

With later Xonar drivers (the ones with "bit perfect" Asio), the volume control is disabled when using Asio.

This is a showstopper for me, I run analogue out to an active crossover then power amps.   The PC is the volume control.
There is such a thing as too 'bit perfect"  :-\

Also, I see no evidence in the Xonar control panel that it is changing sample rates.  The sample rate menu box is not changing automagically when using Xonar Asio.

I'll have to stick with Wasapi Event Style and change the sample rate manually.

jesseinsf

• World Citizen
  • Who, ME?
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:10:38 am »

I am interested in this thread as I also have an Asus Xonar Essence ST card and would like to try ASIO drivers. Currently I have set MC to WASAPI Event Style as I have had trouble in the past with ASIO drivers.

Q1. If I download and install the ASIO drivers do I need to uninstall the WASAPI ones?

Q2. Is there a "best practice" protocol for installing Asus ASIO drivers?

Thanks anyone who can help.

I am not sure if you can uninstall WASAPI Drivers easily. As I understand ASIO and WASAPI are different selections. They don't conflict with each other. Asus ASIO doesn't support more than 2 channels. The ASIO drivers are included when you download the regular drivers for your Asus card (they are auto installed). The ASIO control panel is in the notification area of the task bar. Right click the Asus Audio icon and choose "Asus Xonar ASIO" You can choose "Bit Depth and Latency".
OS - Win 11 Pro for Workstation (64-bit)
Monitor - MSI Creator PS321URV 4K UHD HDR600
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K Up to 5GHz - CPU
GPU - NVidia GeForce RTX 3080TI FE - GPU
MB - Asus Maximus XI Extreme - Motherboard
RAM - 128 GB RAM DDR4 3200 - RAM
SSD - Samsung 980 Pro & 970 Pro m.2 NVMe 1TB each
SP  - Vanatoo TP One Encore (over TOSLink)- REL HT/1003

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 06:44:14 am »

With later Xonar drivers (the ones with "bit perfect" Asio), the volume control is disabled when using Asio.
Switch MC's volume control to "Internal".  Player/Volume/Internal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up