INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: feature request for - the Tag window  (Read 3599 times)

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
feature request for - the Tag window
« on: January 27, 2012, 02:10:51 am »

is it possible - the tag window in a detach window  ?

the window in the left side is a little small (and always bigger/smaller is not a good solution) :(
a detach window - at the second monitor  :D :D
a detach window - open and close with a shortcut  :D :D

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers
Re: feature request for - the Tag window
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 02:27:27 am »

I agree completely I can't count the number of times I have been frustrated by the sidebar when typing long entries.
Sean

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 03:12:03 am »

i also

i think it is the important tool for all - music / video / pictures

it must come

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:27:19 am »

You can drag the separator bar to the right to enlarge it horizontally.

You can click on the caret next to the x in the upper right corner of the tag window to enlarge it vertically.

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:50:58 am »

Detatchable tagging window would be great. This often small window is not suited to do substantial tagging. It's also been a quite common complaint that MC does not have this sort of tag manager that other apps often have. Detaching the window would help very much. Management on a workstation with more than one screen would be just super smooth.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

dosel44

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:24:28 pm »

I completely agree and support this idea as well.

A separate, tabbed tagging window a la iTunes/MediaMonkey would be great! ;D

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:44:55 am »

I don't object to the tag window being detachable as an option.  However, I'd like to continue using the tag window beside the file list as it is now.

In iTunes, the equivalent to the MC tag window was a pop up window.  Very distracting when it popped up and extra effort to close it.

In MC, I go back and forth between the file list (selecting files) and the tag window to set tags for the selected files when I rip or import music.  I don't want modal behavior or pop-ups that I have to close.

Bill

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:11:33 am »

OK
an additional detach window

it must come

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 07:33:40 am »

Another useful way to tag is to use the list view and a slow double click on any field.  That puts it in edit mode.  Finish with an up or down arrow to go to the next track, or hit enter to leave edit mode.

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 10:54:50 am »

oh Jim

i use mc since 2002 mc7 or mc8.
when i look how many features great features to advanced, i think we can say - no other is better.
but
the tag window is not up to date, but rather year 1999 - last century.

in a database is it the important tool for all.
i am hopefully

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 12:17:47 pm »

> but the tag window is not up to date, but rather year 1999 - last century.

I didn't object to your request for a detached tag window as long as I could still have a tag window that was beside the file list area.

I do object to your dismissal of the current tag window arrangement in perjorative language.  You may prefer a different arrangement but you ought to accept that your opinion is not fact.

Bill

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »

Another useful way to tag is to use the list view and a slow double click on any field.  That puts it in edit mode.  Finish with an up or down arrow to go to the next track, or hit enter to leave edit mode.

And you can also single click and hit f2 if you're too impatient for the slow double-click.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »

If it were to be implemented this is what I would do.
current: alt+enter loads tag editor in sidebar
new: same as above plus shift+alt+enter opens tag editor in detached window, and tag editors have a small button next to close for attach/detach.
Sean

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 02:41:55 pm »

Why not let the user drag the tag window with the mouse on the title bar?  The next time the tag window is opened, MC will place it in its last location.

Bill

rhgh

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 02:53:46 pm »

?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2012, 03:06:32 pm »

Why not let the user drag the tag window with the mouse on the title bar?  The next time the tag window is opened, MC will place it in its last location.

Bill

That would be fine too, I prefer keyboard shortcuts because when I am typing I don't like to have to touch the mouse if on desktop and disable the touch pad if on laptop (I hate accidental touch pad touches with a passion).
Sean

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 03:21:23 pm »

>  I prefer keyboard shortcuts because

No reason you can't have a mouse based action and a keyboard shortcut.

I think that dragging a window is a pretty standard Windows activity.

> I hate accidental touch pad touches with a passion).

I just hate touch pads in general.

---
There is one accidental mouse dragging action that worries me a lot in MC.  When I move the mouse in a list pane and the left mouse button is down, MC wants to change a lot of tag values and I don't intend to make any changes.  I've asked JRiver about being able to make the panes area read-only but neither Jim not Matt is the least bit receptive to that idea. (This isn't just a problem for me.  It is the sort of thing where I warn my wife and then she doesn't want to use MC at all.)

Bill

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 03:26:16 pm »

what about a (shortcut) key to maximise the tag window @ once instead of always have to tick the little arrow
MT5FR

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 03:43:12 pm »

Bill,
I think you may have misunderstood me. I am not against a drag to detach at all and was just stating why I want shortcuts.
Drag may be far more difficult to implement though since to my knowledge there is currently no part of MC that has it.
Sean

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 03:50:10 pm »

> Drag may be far more difficult to implement though since to my knowledge there is currently no part of MC that has it.

Maybe not dragging entire  windows.  Drag and Drop is used in MC.  I mentioned dragging behavior in panes.  One can drag files into playlists.  And Jim mentioned dragging the horizontal separator to make the tag window wider.

Bill

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 04:44:18 pm »

I am aware of all of the standard drag n drop and resize behaviors. The closest thing I can think of that would be close to the proposed tag window behavior would be the ability to drag tabs from one view to another in split view, which is not implemented. I am not a programmer but I think it would be more difficult to implement the ability to drag to move/detach containers.
I once asked for the tab drag either different split or reorder.
Sean

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 06:05:25 pm »

>  I am not a programmer but I think it would be more difficult to implement the ability to drag to move/detach containers.

I am a retired programmer.  Your comment brings back to my active memory 20+ years of information about how Windows GUI software works.

If the tag window is actually a window know to the OS, then it may not be difficult to implement the detached window behavior.  If the tag window is contained inside another window, that definition would have to be changed so that the tag window could float outside the main MC window.  If the tag window is not contained within another window, it may be fairly simple to implement the change in behavior.

It is possible that the tag window is not a real window but just a set of elements MC writes in the main window.  If that case, the Tag window would have to be re-implemented as a real window.

Either way, making the window detachable and separately movable is what will require work.  Dragging it versus using a keyboard shortcut to tell MC to make the change won't make much difference.

The general idea is this:  The GUI aspects of displaying information in a Windows app. are event driven.  a GUI app. will have code that responds to a message from Windows to redraw a window (with perhaps a description of the area in the window that needs to be re-drawn.)  That code will be used whenever part of the window needs to be re-drawn.  Moving a window is just one example of a change that requires re-drawing a window.

Now if MC doesn't allow the tag window to be moved, Windows will not send messages asking MC to re-draw the tag window in a new location.

You can see an example of moving a window within MC.  Click on Player/DSP Studio.  Place the mouse on the header at the top of the DSP dialog window and drag it around.  You can move the dialog window completely outside the main MC window.  Displaying the dialog window and its contents in a new location uses the standard Windows mechanisms to re-draw windows.  However. Windows itself may cache images of the screen and be able to re-draw the dialog window without asking MC for help.  It is less likely that Windows has an image of parts of the main MC window that were previously covered by the dialog window.  So Windows is sending messages to MC to redraw parts of the main window that were previously covered when you move the dialog window.

I have not thought about this sort of topic in several years.  Thanks.

Bill

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 06:14:56 pm »

I think Photoshop handles this well.  Tool windows are detachable, collapsible, movable, expandable, docked, etc.  They can be contained within the main window, or moved as floating windows.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up